PDA

View Full Version : Brass Catcher

muggsy
11-11-2011, 07:50 AM
Does anyone know of a good quality brass catcher that can be easily attached to a Kahr pistols? My bad back and knees would could stand a little relief. Thanks.

OldLincoln
11-11-2011, 11:07 AM
I've seen one in several places that you hold in your right hand and has a small net to catch the brass. It looks a bit like a bent wire coat hanger with panty hose material on it.

I shoot at an indoor range with walled stalls and built my own stall sized catcher. It works well but looks like a hunter's blind with camo flaps. It catches brass and feeds it into a basket. This was necessary as my range is adament about you only taking your own brass as they sell the rest.

vn6869
11-11-2011, 02:45 PM
Check with Midway USA, some of my friends at my club use one, believe they said it was about $50. It is a approx 12x12 square frame with "fish net" to catch the brass. it is weighted down.

Myself, I made my own - wire from political signs, bent 110 degrees an old sheer curtain material draped over them. Works shooting from a bench, but wouldn't work standing up. Standing I just put an old sheet down where the brass lands and pickup the sheet with the brass when I am done.

Being cheap is the pits isn't it. :D

garyb
11-14-2011, 08:26 AM
Send some pics please.

sas PM9
11-14-2011, 11:46 AM
I have used on occasion a medium sized wire framed minnow net held in my right hand with the pistol. You have to bend the wire frame to place the net exactly where you want it. Works OK and is inexpensive.

-steve

muggsy
11-22-2011, 09:55 PM
Looks like I may have found another use for those old political sign frames besides using them to hold targets. Thanks guys. That sound you hear is me tinkering. Tink, tink.

OldLincoln
11-23-2011, 11:33 AM
Well, if you shoot at an indoor range with narrowish stalls you can always make a "total" brass catcher like mine. I bought 4 yards of camo blind netting and my wife sewed them end to end with a curtain pocket on one end. I run a spring loaded curtain rod through that and put it up front, then drape the fabric over the other rod in the back. I fold the fabric making a channel in the back that feeds into a collapsible basket.

All my brass drops in there except the ones that hit the top and drop on the counter and roll onto the floor at my feet. Only takes a minute to get it all and put into a ziplock. I roll the fabric around the rod and slide into a fishing pole shipping tube from Brass Pro Shop I had in the garage for 15 years. Even put a handle on it. It looks overkill and really is but I got ticked at loosing my brass.

No I haven't taken pictures and please don't laugh too hard. I worked hard on this and it does the job. BTW, the range guys certainly know me and I don't have to ask to be placed to the far end of the range anymore. :)

Tilos
11-23-2011, 02:41 PM
OL:
pics?
:madgrin:

Tilos

OldLincoln
11-23-2011, 03:32 PM
I'll try the next time I shoot. I think it looks okay and I swear there isn't a bit of duct tape on it anywhere. But strolling down the shooter lane it does tend to take one by surprise.