PDA

View Full Version : New To Me Kahr K9

CGP
11-12-2011, 02:29 PM
Just picked up a used but mint condition K9 (model K9093A) with Trijicon night sights. I don't know much about Kahrs but really like the form and the K9 fit my hand really nice. Only got close to one dry firing an MK9 and I fell in love with the trigger, not so much on the short grip. After selling my PF9, I needed a replacement and the K9 fit the bill.

Took it to the range yesterday and fired off about 50 flawless rounds through - very accurate.

Based on what I've read here, and also from the fact that I picked it up from a NY cop, I suspect I have one of those NYPD triggers. Since this is my first K9, I don't really have anything to compare it with. Trigger pull has about a 1/2 inch pre-travel then followed by a long stroke, no break. Definitely different compared to other DA type pistols I have/had - Glock, XDM, PF9. First observation was the gritty trigger and felt like something was rubbing inside. During field strip, I noticed that the grittiness seem to come from the trigger bar and trigger bar spring interaction. The spring hook that goes under the trigger bar was rubbing against each other and causing the spring to drag on the underside of the bar as I press the trigger. This interaction produced friction enough for me to notice it. I've added some gun grease in that area in hopes to smooth the action but did not seem to help.

Any advise on this?

Oh, yeah, the pictures:

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd386/plikatok/K9/IMG_2498.jpg

Target at 10 yards

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd386/plikatok/f38cfc36.jpg

FLBri
11-13-2011, 08:47 AM
Welcome CGP ... nice purchase! (I WANT ONE)

This spring is similar to the MK9 (which I have). If the little spring that wraps under the bar is slightly out of position it can cause that grittiness. On mine it would travel to, and than get caught up in, the bend in the trigger bar. If it stays completely on one side where it belongs, throughout the complete trigger pull it won't have that 'catch' in it. A simple redirection (techno for "bend" and it was as smooth as a babies butt. Check that with the grips off while pulling the trigger ... it may be the issue.

JohnR
11-13-2011, 09:35 AM
My K9 came from a New York cop too. Never gave the trigger a thought - whether it's the NYPD or not, it's sweet either way.

CGP
11-13-2011, 10:42 AM
Welcome CGP ... nice purchase! (I WANT ONE)

This spring is similar to the MK9 (which I have). If the little spring that wraps under the bar is slightly out of position it can cause that grittiness. On mine it would travel to, and than get caught up in, the bend in the trigger bar. If it stays completely on one side where it belongs, throughout the complete trigger pull it won't have that 'catch' in it. A simple redirection (techno for "bend" and it was as smooth as a babies butt. Check that with the grips off while pulling the trigger ... it may be the issue.

Would like to see the bend you are referring to. I was working the trigger action during cleaning and I can tell that the spring is dragging up under the bar. The drag is not a smooth one.

CGP
11-16-2011, 12:12 AM
I fixed the gritty trigger. It took a little bit of polish under the trigger bar where the spring makes contact. It's now very smooth no grit.

zebraD
11-16-2011, 06:48 AM
CGP, Nice K9. My K9 one of the best (if not the best) pistol I own. Easy to shoot, feels great in my hand, conceals easily.... Glad to hear you you found Kahr.

CGP
11-16-2011, 06:42 PM
CGP, Nice K9. My K9 one of the best (if not the best) pistol I own. Easy to shoot, feels great in my hand, conceals easily.... Glad to hear you you found Kahr.

Yep. Shot another 110 rounds today and the gritty trigger is completely gone. Another few hundred rounds and I can see this replacing my G19 as my primary CCW. Heres a 7 shot group at 10 yards using RWS 124gr ammo.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd386/plikatok/2959048a.jpg