PDA

View Full Version : New CW9

rkirk
01-15-2010, 09:25 PM
I bought a new Kahr CW9 this past Tuesday, and went to a local indoor range Wednesday. Next I need a holster or holsters for the new pistol. I have a Don Hume pancake holster that I bought for an XD, it fits well enough to test that style before buying one made for the Kahr. By accident I put the CW9 in a Crossbreed Super Tuck made for a Browning Hi-Power and it fits as though it were made for the CW9! What luck!

Here is a range report:

100 rounds of 115 grain Winchester white box, no failure of any kind. They always fed and always fired, and ejected. Standard round nose bullets.

10 rounds of 124 grain JHP Golden Saber, no problems.

10 Rounds of 115 grain Remington JHP, no problems.

50 Rounds of 115 grain re-loads, standard round nose, not quite a full charge. they shot great!

The trigger clicked once and because I have read about Kahr pistols all over the Internet I knew to allow the trigger to come forward and reseat. Thats the only time I had a pause. What a great pistol! After the first three strings of 5 I could feel the trigger stage and my accuracy improved.

The pistol is light and has enough recoil to make me hang on with both hands. Because I read several places that the grip is textured very rough, I used IDPA target tape to cover the front and back grip area which really helped. My hand is sore after 150+ rounds. So I think as one of the replies said I made a good choice buying the Hogue slip on grip. I am carrying in my front left pocket using an Uncle Mike's #4 pocket holster. Here are some photos. One shot of the taped grip and one of a target. I fired several 7 shot strings toward the end of the range session, and this target photo is one of those. All rounds fired at 10 yards. I feel this is a long shot for this pistol so I am very happy with the CW9.

-- Richard

I used IDPA target tape to make the grip less abrasive. After several strings I was able to feel the trigger stage and my shooting improved. This was a nice 7 shot round. I used the 10 yard mark. I had to really concentrate to keep on target. Not one failure of any kind.

mr surveyor
01-15-2010, 09:40 PM
congratulation on the CW9. It seems you had the same first out experience I did with my CW9.... as in flawless performance of the handgun.

And, I see you discovered the holster substitute as well. Unless it's a perfectly form fitted holster, i.e. exact moulding around the frame and trigger guard, you'll find the CW9 fits pretty well into most leather made for compact 1911's and BHP's. I use an IWB Don Hume (sized for a compact 1911) that I picked up from a used holster bin for my (former) KT PF9. I can carry my compact Kimber in it or my CW9. The CW9 has actually found it's way into the holster more in the last 6 months than anything else ever did. I also picked up a Bianchi OWB "strip" holster a couple of months ago that will also work with both the CW9 and the Kimber. The CW9 still finds it's way into the holster more.

surv

p.s. welcome to KahrTalk

rkirk
01-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Mr Surveyor,

Thanks for the comment and sharing your CW9 experience. I wore the Crossbreed for several hours last night at dinner with friends. I have recently lost weight and moved from a 36 waist to a 34. It appears I need to lose 4 or 5 more pounds to be really comfortable with the Crossbreed. It is a very good tuck-able holster. Right now the Don Hume pancake offers the most comfort for all day long wear. It even hides well under a dark tee shirt or a shirt OWB. So if you or anyone has experience with OWB holsters that work well in front of the hip and pull the pistol in close please chime in.

I am glad to hear you and I had no issues with the CW9. During my research I came across some very negative comments about the CW9. However I felt that the grip length, longer barrel and weight of the pistol were what I needed to take the place of my XD9s and Hi-Powers. They are great pistols, but harder to hide and in my older age weight seems to be more of a problem.

-- Richard

-- Richard

Vinikahr
01-16-2010, 12:31 PM
Congrats and keep shooting it!:roll:

bookemdano
01-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Welcome aboard. I also have a cw9 that shoots and conceals great.I have tried several brands of ammo incl. self def. w/o any FTF or FTE.Keep it clean and slightly oiled.Almost had to use it early Tues. morn on 3 kids trying to break into my house.They gave up and took off. Glad I didn't have to give them lead poisoning.The police took over ten mins. to get here. When seconds count the police were minutes away.

rkirk
01-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Bookemdano,

Glad you are okay and did not have to go through the mess of shooting someone. I have put away my P32 and carry the CW9 either in a Uncle Mike's #3 pocket holster, a Don Hume OT pancake or my Crossbreed Super Tuck. All of those holsters are for other pistols except the pocket holster. I borrowed a Galco Sky Ops from a friend it works but only with a 1.25 inch belt. I took the Y hook off and attached a wide spare clip from a Comp-Tac CTAC holster and that works on my 1.5 inch belt. Not as comfortable as a pancake or even my IWB Crossbreed. If I buy another holster for the CW9 I think it will be a paddle holster from Comp-Tac. Anyone carry a CW9 in a Paddle holster?

Thanks for the welcome,

-- Richard

jfrey
01-18-2010, 09:41 PM
I carry my CW9 in a Quick Draw from Tagua Gunleather. It is lined on the inside and very comfortable. I also use one from El Paso Saddlery I got to fit my G36. So far my CW9 has been completely trouble free and a joy to shoot.

OldGuyinTN
01-21-2010, 10:38 AM
Have you looked at Kholster (http://www.kholster.com?) This guy makes a very functional and comfortable tuckable holster that has form-molded kydex riveted to the leather backer. It is fully adjustable for cant and depth, he encourages any trimming or modification you want to do, has an unconditional guarantee, and is very reasonably priced. I love it because it pulls my CW40 right up against my "spare tire" without any discomfort or print. Now I can wear a nice shirt tucked in when I leave the house.
I have misplaced the paper that came with my Kholster (it has a discount code on it), but if you contact Jimmy through the web site and tell him you were referred by the owner of Kholster #2720, he'll probably give you the 10% referral discount. As inexpensive as the Kholster is, you can't afford to not try it out!

Vinikahr
01-21-2010, 11:18 AM
Have you looked at Kholster (http://www.kholster.com?) This guy makes a very functional and comfortable tuckable holster that has form-molded kydex riveted to the leather backer. It is fully adjustable for cant and depth, he encourages any trimming or modification you want to do, has an unconditional guarantee, and is very reasonably priced. I love it because it pulls my CW40 right up against my "spare tire" without any discomfort or print. Now I can wear a nice shirt tucked in when I leave the house.
I have misplaced the paper that came with my Kholster (it has a discount code on it), but if you contact Jimmy through the web site and tell him you were referred by the owner of Kholster #2720, he'll probably give you the 10% referral discount. As inexpensive as the Kholster is, you can't afford to not try it out!

This is the best price I seen for this type of holster! 10% and free shipping, you are right, how can anyone not try it?:59:

recoilguy
01-21-2010, 01:06 PM
I carry a Kahr CW9 everyday and love it. I shot it every week and have put at least 700 rounds through it. It is a great wepon easy to conceal and it shots holes right were you point it. The more I shot it the more I like it. the more I carry it the more confident i am. I use a www.jndtactical.com (http://www.jndtactical.com) and I can tuck in a dress shirt and it is invisible or wear it with jeans and a flannel or a jersey with the same results. You can't really go wrong with teh CW9

RCG

4wheel1
01-21-2010, 05:15 PM
I carry my CW9 almost every day. I picked up a Don Humne (not sure of spelling) holser. It is an IWB and very comfortable for me. It is molded to the CW so fits like a glove and very easy to reholster and for $25 + shipping I don't think you can beat it. Here is the link. :)
http://www.kahrshop.com/cgi-bin/itemdetail.asp?itmid=867

rkirk
01-21-2010, 05:40 PM
4wheel1, thanks for the post. Do you wear that holster on, behind or in front of the hip? I have a friend who has that holster and likes it. If I did not need to tuck a shirt it would be less trouble to put on instead of a Crossbreed.

-- Richard

I think I said that right? :confused:

mr surveyor
01-21-2010, 09:32 PM
that's the Don Hume I use... Bought it from the "recycle bin" at the gun shop several years ago when I picked up a KT PF9. My Hume 715 was actually made for a compact 1911 (which I also have), and it not only fit the Kimber Compact and KelTec PF9, it perfectly fits my CW9. Although it does change its "pitch position"occassionally, it is very smooth and easy to slip in the waistband, and easy to remove, but does have good retention. It's become my favorite holster. My holster is a Model 715 M 3-1/2". If I ever wear it out, I'll buy another (or two). I carry at about the 3:30 position, just behind the hip bone point.

surv

rogerthedodger
01-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Welcome Richard, I also have a CW9, use it as one of my carry's, and a Ruger LCR. I have the CT Laserguard on my CW9, so holsters are a problem. I use a Galco stow n go for a Glock 26 for IWB, just reform the metal top band, good to go. I also carry with a pocket holster, the Desantis Gunhide E1, fits perfectly. For owb I have ordered a Mitch rosen with laserguard, waiting on its arrival. I made(today) an IWB Crossbreed type of homebrew holster, fits like a glove, need to trim a little leather to (fit the fat). No issues with bullets, currently using Hornady and speer gold dot. I think the CW9 is the greatest.
Roger:D

DALE
01-22-2010, 12:29 AM

I don't believe they have one for the CW9 w/crimson trace yet. :( I inquired about a month ago and he said they would probably have it some time this year.

I have one for a G19 and another for an LCP, they are great for the price!

4wheel1
01-22-2010, 04:14 AM
Rkirk, I wear it behind my hip just in the small of my back. It is very comfortable to me there. I know what is comfortable to one is not another. My wife says she cannot see it under a t-shirt. Like I said it is actually molded for this gun.:roll:

mr surveyor
01-22-2010, 05:55 PM
here's an old pic of my (former) KT PF9 in a Don Hume #715... the CW9 fits the same.

surv

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b345/cowpi/PF9PF9INHOLSTER002HUMEHOLSTER.jpg

Lefty Shotlow
01-24-2010, 03:10 PM
Another vote for the Don Hume 715. I have the 715 with loops for my CW9 and liked it well enough I bought one for my 1911 and another for my KelTec.

rjmcw9
01-24-2010, 03:48 PM
I carry mine in a Don Hume pancake. Only have a few weeks experience with the holster and I can't complain.

rkirk
02-05-2010, 01:34 PM
I am carrying in a Crossbreed Super Tuck for the last several days. Around the house I have tried a Don Hume open top pancake that was bought for my XD9 service model. Of course it does not fit but I think it carries high enough to be a candidate for a new holster. Does anyone carry a Kahr in a Don Hume JIT? I would like to hear about OWB belt holsters for the CW9! In the winter and fall I wear a cover garment like a sweater or short jacket. Sometimes a Polartec vest, they work great! Any suggestions will be appreciated.

-- Richard

500KV
02-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Does anyone carry a Kahr in a Don Hume JIT?

-- Richard
I just received a Hume JIT about an hour ago, for my PM9, but obviously haven't had time to form an opinion yet.
I will say, It's a tight fit but looks like it may work with my CW40 as well after I get it broken in.
I like the way the gun rides in it. Good close fit and conceals well.
Have to let you know more later Richard.

rkirk
02-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Thanks 500KV, I like to carry just in front of my hip. It gives me a feeling of more control over the pistol and is less likely that someone will brush against the gun. Do you think your JIT would carry well in that position?

-- Richard

ripley16
02-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Does anyone carry a Kahr in a Don Hume JIT? I would like to hear about OWB belt holsters for the CW9! In the winter and fall I wear a cover garment like a sweater or short jacket. Sometimes a Polartec vest, they work great! Any suggestions will be appreciated.

-- Richard

Honestly, I did not like the JIT. It is neat that just about any Kahr fits, but I found it to be slow to draw. At any point behind the hip, the straight up pull neccesary was awkward for me. I prefer some forward cant. I've had guns hang-up in this holster.

I found the JIT a pain in the butt to put on, mainly because I prefer to capture a belt loop between the two holster loops. For carry forward of the hip it would be fine, but that position is harder to conceal.

The holster I use and have come to appreciate is the Mitch Rosen Premier. It holds securely, offers a very fast draw, is easy on and off and also is good for several models of Kahr. The one I have is labeled for a K40 but also fits the P9, CW, TP and T as well as my K9.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Pistols/Kahr/TP9holsters002.jpg

500KV
02-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Thanks 500KV, I like to carry just in front of my hip. It gives me a feeling of more control over the pistol and is less likely that someone will brush against the gun. Do you think your JIT would carry well in that position?

-- Richard
That's how I usually carry as well.
I do have an old Dillon SOB holster for my Glocks that works well for me.

Holsters and methods of carry are so varied that one can only give the opinion that fits their personal needs.

As I said, I haven't actually carried with the JIT yet, only around the house here, but it seems to fit my needs quite well, and is a well made little holster.
I may find otherwise later on though.
One reason I've got a big box full of holsters.

jwr
02-05-2010, 04:40 PM
I've been wearing one for a week now and am pretty happy with it--especially for the price. I carry right at 3 o'clock and it works well. At the moment I've pushed it just forward of my hip and that feels fine too.

Ripley mentioned that it requires a straight-up pull and I've found this to the case as well. If you push forward while drawing it will hang but if you pull straight up it comes right out.

Even though I like it I went ahead and ordered a Bullard Bandit pancake type holster. With the belt loops a little further apart I think it pulls the gun in even tighter which to me is critical with an OWB carrying concealed. Of course it's not like the JIT allows the gun to flop around--it doesn't. I think it's a good deal for a good holster.

Bullard and JIT
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn69/jerrywrussell/hols-100.jpg

rkirk
02-08-2010, 08:53 AM
Guys, thank you for the excellent advice. When it comes to pistols and gear everyone is indeed different. The reason we all have more holsters than we use is you finally have to buy the holster and try it to be sure. After reading and pondering your responses I am thinking I have an IWB Super Tuck for really hiding the CW9 and a OWB Pancake that works well enough. I think I will try a Comp-Tac paddle with an FBI cant. I would like to have a good paddle holster that is easy on and off. Anybody carry their Kahr in one of these holsters?

-- Richard