PDA

View Full Version : Second Range Trip with new to me K9

jtsteiert
11-20-2011, 08:28 AM
The wife and I went to the range yesterday to shoot my K9 for the second time. Im not sure how many rounds have been fired thru it prior to me getting it but I have shot about 300 rounds thru it so far, all without issue. I shoot mainly range round of 124gr FMJ, but have shot golden sabers and Hornady CD thru is as well. This gun eats what ever I feed it and asks for more.

I did pretty good and managed to keep all my rounds in a 4"-5" group at 21'. I do have my monents where Im all over the place with my shots, Im still getting used to the smaller gun and I have large hands so trying to figure out my grip is a work in progress venture.
With all the reports I read telling me this is one tack driver of a gun, I will be glad when I figure out my issues and start driving my own tacks....lol

What style grip are you guys using and what tips or suggestions can you offer to help improve my accuracy? I am currently using the both thumbs pointed down range style grip and at times it is hard to find room for both hands to fit securely.

Im thinking about getting the wooden grips Kahr sells as I heard they are wider than stock that may help my grip some. I am also thinking of sending it off to have the front of the grip stippled as it is smooth now. That should also help in control issues I am having.

I would appreciate any and all thoughts and criticisms you can offer.

JimBianchi
11-21-2011, 12:43 AM
A friends K9 has wood grips.

I love the look of the wood grips but did not like the way it feels when fired.

IMO the K9 rubber grips are nearly the perfect combat grip. They should use that softer material on all there handgun grips.

The only improvement I can see in my MK9, would be the softer "grippier" grips of the K9. (I have used two different professional tape-adhesives on the MK9, one lasted six months, one three years. Second just came off this week..:(

I need to carry my K9 more, it gets lonely in the safe....

jocko
11-21-2011, 04:49 AM
I have the all rubber K9 early grips on my k9 AND LOVE UM. hAD THE WOOD ONES BUT DIDN'T LIKE THEM LIKE THE RUBBER FEELS. UR DEAD RIGHT.

ripley16
11-21-2011, 06:50 AM
* I don't think the wood grips are any larger in circumference. Perhaps what would help is one of the grip sleeves. Hogue, Pachmayr or Uncle Mikes make them.

* One technique I use with my Kahrs is to move my trigger finger a tiny bit outboard, so I'm using the middle of the first digit and then relax the digit, (let the finger flex). This helps me not move the gun at the end of the long pull. It feels awkward but it works.

* There are a couple of variations of the thumbs forward grip, mostly dealing with what to do with the thumb of your grip hand. I like mine parallel to the slide and my support hand thumb fairly tight to the slide.

Have you tried wrapping your support hand thumb to the rear, thus gripping the base of your grip hand thumb. This grip usually works best for people with larger hands and even then you may have to rotate your support grip a bit. Make sure there's no chance of slide bite.

* Familiarity will bring better groups. The Kahr feels different in the hand than most other guns, mainly due to the trigger type, length of pull, grip size and short distance of the grip to trigger. The Kahr seems made primarily for small hands.

jtsteiert
11-21-2011, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the suggestions on grip, next time at the range I will experiment with some of your ideas and see if that helps any.

I love everything about the gun so far and I am glad I got it, now its just figuring out what works best for me.

Bill K
11-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Dry fire practice and drills should translate into increased accuracy at the range.

I didn't catch if this is a range gun, SD or HD gun. Practicing and training should, IMHO, be geared toward your purpose for owning the gun. My practice, using my Airsoft Glock 26 or dry firing is often as close as 8-12" (yes inches) from my target.

jocko
11-21-2011, 11:43 AM
and u should know about that distance to. sights are normally immaterial.. but a totaly reliable gun is a must.

Bill K
11-21-2011, 02:22 PM
and u should know about that distance to. sights are normally immaterial.. but a totaly reliable gun is a must.

+1 on your HD/SD gun being totaly reliable. You'll want the gun to cycle reliably for you firing single handed, both strong and weak hand.

jtsteiert
11-21-2011, 03:53 PM
The K9 will be my ccw, it is very reliable so far, I still need to get more comfortable shooting it.
I did carry a Sig 229 in .40 cal which is twice as big as the Kahr.
I do dry fire drills but not religiously .... I do enjoy having more reasons to go to the range though.

jocko
11-21-2011, 04:04 PM
pay good attention to a K9 with wood grips on it. If the right side grip screws get a tad loose, it can cause light strikes as now the grip in the upper left hand corner of the wood grip actually holds the trigger bar in proper alignment and a loose grip will allow that trgger bar to drift sometimes just enough to give light strikes. I had a very hard time keepingmy wood grips tight, so I went back tomy all rubber factory grips which Iam told were made by Hogue back when kahr was putting the all rubber grip on the K9. Iam told now the new K9 do not have a all rubber grip on it,

jtsteiert
11-21-2011, 05:47 PM
pay good attention to a K9 with wood grips on it. If the right side grip screws get a tad loose, it can cause light strikes as now the grip in the upper left hand corner of the wood grip actually holds the trigger bar in proper alignment and a loose grip will allow that trgger bar to drift sometimes just enough to give light strikes. I had a very hard time keepingmy wood grips tight, so I went back tomy all rubber factory grips which Iam told were made by Hogue back when kahr was putting the all rubber grip on the K9. Iam told now the new K9 do not have a all rubber grip on it,

Thats some good advice...Thanks for the heads up. My rubber grips are actually stamped hogue on the back side of them with the Kahr symbol on the front side so what you are saying is accurate. I really like my rubber grips as they feel very nice in my hands, but I do love the look of a stainless gun with wooden grips.

eltee
01-26-2012, 07:47 PM
I bought the wood grips for my K40 Covert. I thought they were kind of blocky and I worked them down some, giving them more of a palm swell.