PDA

View Full Version : "R" Stamped on Barrel

Kahrcarrier
11-20-2011, 09:18 AM
Does anyone know what the R that's stamped on the left side of the barrel near the lug stands for?

I've search the Kahr site with no luck.

Thanks

jocko
11-20-2011, 09:27 AM
my guess some kind of proof mark or vendor mark.might be something so that kahr can rack barrels in case of issues..:behindsofa:

ripley16
11-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Are we talking about a PM by chance? From 2005, give or take?

Digging into my frail memory... were the replacement barrels, during the recall five years ago or so, caused by PM barrels peening returned marked with an "R" so one would know the barrel had been replaced?

jocko
11-20-2011, 11:57 AM
2004 PM9 recall . most barrels were even returned back after a good polishing by kahr, not sure that recall was over peening barrels to my knowledge.I think it wqas feed issues.. Many bakc then never even sent their PM back due to no issues. I think also it was around a total of 11K PM9 barrels. I never had read of the stamped R on the barrels on those recalled PM9 back then but it certinly makes some sense to. They would have to have some sense of tracking refurbished barrels. I wonder what ear kahr carries is talking about also. a serial number wold tell us alot more.

Recall back in 04 was

VA0003 to VA9999
VB0004 to VB0999

11K barrels

Kahrcarrier
11-29-2011, 12:43 PM
Gentlemen,

It's not from a PM9 to the best of my knowledge. I recently purchased a used "E9" and when I was giving it a good cleanup I noticed that on the barrel lug where the slide stop pin goes there is a uppercase "R" stamped on it. None of my other Kahrs has this and I was just wondering what it stood for... The Lady that I purchased the pistol from said it was the Polygonal barrel, but it has a bright polished look to it... Just curious as to the "R" though.. Oh, and the serial # is AMO935

Thanks

Bawanna
11-29-2011, 12:46 PM
I'm not sure where the R is stamped but R is for refurbished. B is for a Blem.

They are sold to distributors at a reduced price.

I thought the R was stamped somewhere on the frame but when I asked long ago I didn't find out where it was stamped so I'm not certain.

Kahrcarrier
11-29-2011, 12:55 PM
That makes sense... The lady I purchased it from is a dealer.. Thanks very much for the information.... I can't find much about the E9 series anywhere so I'm thinking it's pretty old, but it runs like a champ and seems to have all the upgrades that my new K9 does.. I'm using it as my main carry gun because the trigger and action is like butter smooth... Thanks again.

Bawanna
11-29-2011, 01:02 PM
Jocko would know far more than I but the E series was early on for sure. Several members here have them or have had them in the past. Only seen one in person and I couldn't bring it home. Darn it. Never heard a bad thing about them.

If it's a shooter, I'd label it a keeper and run with it.
You might as well post a picture of it just liven things up today.

Kahrcarrier
11-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Here's a couple of lousy iPhone pics... Can't find my digital camera...:o

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac79/gottabkiddin/E9-3.jpg
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac79/gottabkiddin/E9-1.jpg

Kahrcarrier
11-29-2011, 01:12 PM
It has night-sights and came with three mags and a OWB holster with mag carrier for five and a half... The phone pic really doesn't do it justice, but it's smoother than my K9 seen below.. I like it, but it feels a tad bit heavier than my K9, but I don't have a scale to weigh um on, so I can't be sure..

Here's how it came when I made the deal..

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac79/gottabkiddin/E9-2.jpg

jocko
11-29-2011, 02:45 PM
The R on the barrel lug fronm what I can find out from my inside source means basically nothing, not refurbished, that would be on the trigger gurard the stamp. What I was told was that maybe at one time parts were marked with the same letter/number to indicate properly fitted parts.

Being this is an E9 series K, that is a longtime back and probably most people at kahr was not arou7nd back then. The proof mark "R" had to be put on a kahr after the final machining process of making the barrel, so maybe back then when they were making the E series kahrs, they hand fitted some of the parts. My two cents..

that E series amo935 is every bit of 5 plus years old. If my mind serves me right, most of the E series k GUNS were carbon steel slides and alloy frames. U can get a birth date on that gun by merely calling Kahr..

Kahrcarrier
11-30-2011, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the info folks!

Jocko, I appreciate your efforts, and IMO it's worth more than two cents..:)

Thanks again..