PDA

View Full Version : New PM9/ trigger finger issue

desertfox
01-16-2010, 01:16 PM
Hello to all. I am new to the Kahr line having just bought a new PM9. It's a great feeling gun with a very nice trigger and it points very naturally for me.

I'm having a problem with the bottom of the trigger guard hitting the bottom of my 1st knuckle on my trigger finger when I fire each round. It hits hard enough that after 40 or 50 rounds, there's a pretty deep indentation on the knuckle and enough discomfort that I want to take a break. I have medium sized hands and I use the "push/pull" grip (not tea cup) and place the pad of my index finger on the trigger. Even with the little "bite" coming on each shot, I'm very accurate with the gun out to 15 yards. I have added the Pearce grip extension and tried adjusting my grip but still seem to have the same problem. I was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and if you have any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Vinikahr
01-16-2010, 01:28 PM
The mileage may vary on the user. You will need to train and hold the weapon with the best form you can shoot it. This technically is not a range gun and is brutal to go fire over 50 rounds. Unless you can break in your first session, you may want to do it in several visits to the range, that of course if the cost to do it is not an issue. Welcome to the board.:86:

arizona98tj
01-16-2010, 01:36 PM
The mileage may vary on the user. You will need to train and hold the weapon with the best form you can shoot it. This technically is not a range gun and is brutal to go fire over 50 rounds. Unless you can break in your first session, you may want to do it in several visits to the range, that of course if the cost to do it is not an issue. Welcome to the board.:86:

Brutal :confused:

Mileage certainly must vary by shooter. I've found the PM9 to be very sweet shooting. If one wants brutal, a .357 2" barrel on an alloy frame.....that is a good definition for brutal.

Honestly, I've shot well over 100 rounds at a time through my PM9 with no sense of bruising or discomfort....either while shooting or the day after. It was because of this that I bought the PM9.....its reputation for being a well behaved 3" 9mm auto loader. ;) Even friends who have asked to shoot it at the range comment on how nicely it handles. Yes, there are comments about the short grip length, but yeah....that goes along with it being so easy to CCW.

Vinikahr
01-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Brutal :confused:

Mileage certainly must vary by shooter. I've found the PM9 to be very sweet shooting. If one wants brutal, a .357 2" barrel on an alloy frame.....that is a good definition for brutal.

Honestly, I've shot well over 100 rounds at a time through my PM9 with no sense of bruising or discomfort....either while shooting or the day after. It was because of this that I bought the PM9.....its reputation for being a well behaved 3" 9mm auto loader. ;) Even friends who have asked to shoot it at the range comment on how nicely it handles. Yes, there are comments about the short grip length, but yeah....that goes along with it being so easy to CCW.

Well honestly my definition of brutal is different from yours. I was not referring mainly the recoil of the gun, but the overall synthesis of the range experience.;)

zena
01-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Hello to all. I am new to the Kahr line having just bought a new PM9. It's a great feeling gun with a very nice trigger and it points very naturally for me.

I'm having a problem with the bottom of the trigger guard hitting the bottom of my 1st knuckle on my trigger finger when I fire each round. It hits hard enough that after 40 or 50 rounds, there's a pretty deep indentation on the knuckle and enough discomfort that I want to take a break. I have medium sized hands and I use the "push/pull" grip (not tea cup) and place the pad of my index finger on the trigger. Even with the little "bite" coming on each shot, I'm very accurate with the gun out to 15 yards. I have added the Pearce grip extension and tried adjusting my grip but still seem to have the same problem. I was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and if you have any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the forum! I'm not quite getting what is happening to your trigger finger to cause this indentation. Is the recoil of the gun somehow bouncing your finger around? Seems if you are doing your follow through i.e. finger on the trigger at the end of pull until your sights are back on target...nothing should be contacting the knuckle of your trigger finger. I can't quite picture what is happening. More details? I can get this trigger slap when I'm shooting the AK 47 on full auto if I'm not really leaning into it.:84:

xzhync
01-16-2010, 07:56 PM
Desertfox - I have a new PM9 as well and have experienced exactly the same thing. In my first range session with the gun I shot 150 rounds and by the end I had a blister where the skin was peeling off. I wanted to finish breaking it in so I found these little specialty band-aids just for blisters. It is slightly padded. Anyway, when going several days later to finish the break in the little band aids helped. I went again today to the range. My finger had healed, but I could still feel the abrasion. I have now adjusted my trigger finger where I grip the trigger a little closer to the tip of my finger. Try dry firing while adjusting your touch point. I found that by moving closer to the tip of my finger I avoid the rubbing. I had pretty good success today. I shot 100 rounds with significantly reduced discomfort.

TxKahr
01-16-2010, 08:24 PM
I shot 250 rounds through my PM9 on my first visit to the range without any problems. It is a little harder on my hands than my heavier Glock 26, but I would not consider it any where near "brutal". In fact, the thinner grip with the Pearce extension made it quite comfortable for me. I have small hands, so maybe that is making a difference.

TxKahr

Vinikahr
01-16-2010, 08:34 PM
I shot 250 rounds through my PM9 on my first visit to the range without any problems. It is a little harder on my hands than my heavier Glock 26, but I would not consider it any where near "brutal". In fact, the thinner grip with the Pearce extension made it quite comfortable for me. I have small hands, so maybe that is making a difference.

TxKahr

Having big hands can be a problem. Lets change the term and say that is not brutal but uncomfortable instead. :59:

Arizona T
01-16-2010, 08:41 PM
100 rounds with my PM40 leaves a bit of bloody bite on the bottom of my trigger finger in 1 range session, but I cut my hands and abuse them everyday at work so??

Gives me something to pick at for a week. Ahe?

My PM9 no problem mmmmmmm invest in a dedicated range nugg.

AZ T

KahrKRL
02-06-2010, 10:39 AM
When I went to buy my Kahr, they had a P380 and a PM9. I got to hold them both at the same time. The P380 just seemed too small and didn't feel right. The PM9 was not too big or too small. I have medium sized hands and it fits like a glove. Others who have large hands don't get the same feel that I do. (but then he just bought the Taurus .380) The Taurus .380 is so small it pinches my triger finger. The guys with large hands have to use their finger tips on the .380s.
The PM9 is great and it's a 9mm, not a little .380!
Love to carry it.

jeep45238
02-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Pull the trigger from the top of the trigger, closer to the barrel, than the middle or bottom of the trigger.

This will slightly increase pull weight and decrease the the trigger travel, but will keep your finger away from the area where the trigger barely clears the trigger guard, which is likely causing the discomfort.

wyntrout
02-06-2010, 11:32 AM
Yesterday was my third trip to the range since I got the PM9 and I was watching for any discomfort in shooting it. I had my "tactical" nomex and leather palmed gloves in my gun case, but never felt the need. I could use a bit more grip on the gun, but I bought it for concealed carry and that's no too much of a compromise. I was shooting a lot of +P with no discomfort, but then the target fodder REALLY felt mild!:D
I think it matters how quickly you're going through the ammo, too. I was bringing the target back and patching it a lot and taking pictures with my camera almost every time. Pacing can help if you're not constrained by time and charged by the hour.
Those gloves are not so cumbersome -- very similar to the USAF or military flight gloves that I flew with for many years. You had to be able to work with small knobs and switches while wearing some protection from the cold, especially at altitude where the ambient temperature is a little too close to the -40 to -60 degrees F. outside. I can remember losing cabin heat on training missions in the BUFF and everyone was upstairs huddling together and using the power "Altus Lamp" to heat our hands and feet! That's a corded powerful hand-lamp for viewing the outside of the aircraft in flight -- through windows -- as in looking for problems or icing on the wings.
I think that I got a couple of black pairs at Cheaper Then Dirt for $19.99 each -- not bad -- for shooting, either.
Wynn:)

toconnoribm
02-06-2010, 04:09 PM
I bought a PM40 about 14 months ago. I had the exact same problem. I believe I put 100 rounds through my new gun my first trip. I had a nice broken blister in the exact same spot on the trigger finger first knuckle. I have experimented with adjusting my grip but find that when I shoot this gun as naturally as possible.. I still get some contact in the same spot. I have since begun to tape that knuckle when I practice at the range and might look at improving the grip on my PM40 with a Handall or Hogue Jr. but basically, I'm very happy with the accuracy and reliability of the gun. Since this is not a range gun by any stretch, I am satisfied with just taping up for practice sesssions knowing that if I ever need to use this pistol in a SD situation, I won't think twice about a little nick on my trigger finger if I'm able to exit the situation successfully.

kimbercarry
02-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Yep! My PM9 does it, after 50 rounds I'm through but as has been mentioned, it's not a shooter for enjoyment.
I weigh ~ 260 with big hands and most of the "swing triggers" give me a problem even the Glock 23 so I tend to stay with the 1911's with a straight trigger pull for range work and primary carry. The PM9 and PM45 serve well for me as backup.

getsome
02-08-2010, 10:38 AM
HI Wyn, I always wanted to ride in a BUFF but never got to....One of my all time favorite movies is Dr. Strangelove...We Marines flew in airborn cattle cars, oh well we got to shoot alot so all is fair!!!....Can you imagine what life was like for the air crews on a B17 flying fortress? Long night time missions and NO cabin heat at all....WOW those were some tough, brave men to do that over and over knowing what their odds were...I got to fly in a B17 last summer..."The Liberty Belle" In the movies they make those things look huge inside but its really VERY cramped and felt like flying in a tin can...Man when those 4 big cyclone engines reved up the whole plane felt like it was going to vibrate apart but I still had the time of my life during the flight...Well worth the money if you ever get the chance to do it...OH yea...almost forgot why I wanted to post....I too have some expensive shooting gloves but found out that a pair of Mechanix padded shock resistant gloves with the fingers cut short enough to feel the trigger work as good or better and all for $15.00... By the way, Thank you for serving your country!!! Salute...

getsome
02-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Wow what a coincidence, My office is about 3/4 mile from the end of the main runway at Peachtree Dekalb Airport which is the 2nd busiest airport in Georgia next to Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson...This is nice for me as I'm on the 10th floor with a window seat and a big time airplane buff....Its a great spot to watch take off and landings if you enjoy aircraft as I do....Well just a short time ago I heard a loud engine roar, louder than normal so I turned around and there is The Liberty Belle B17 lumbering along on take off... She flew a short way then came around for a landing...The air show's are in the early spring and fall so Its a little early for the plane to be here unless they are doing maintenance or something.....Anyway man that plane is so beautiful and one of I think 15 still airworthy of 12,761 produced from 1942 to mid 1945...Turns out this particular airplane has been restored twice...In 1979 it was destroyed in a tornado but has since been brought back to life to fly again.... Just goes to show what lots of money and hard work can do.....sorry, I get excited sometimes....I'm just a big ole kid!!!! ;)

wyntrout
02-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Getsome, thank you for the kind words. I think I had 3,400 hours or so in the BUFF -- mostly training, of course. I got into them in '74 just after they returned from SEA and got out in '88 before they were used in the First Gulf War. My younger buddies went and they all made it home as far as I know. The BUFF had other names like the Aluminum Overcast and Silent Death... And monkey-killers after LBJ's tree-killing raids. I heard those suckers bombing over there while at Da Nang and I heard the New Jersey and other ships' shells pass overhead in support of the grunts. The BUFF is an awesome aircraft and all but the "overhead" officers are younger than the planes now. It's hard to believe that the newest ones are over 55, I believe, and they talk of 40 more years -- go for a hundred!
As for recips, I saw a Lancaster fly by in an airshow at Abingdon, GB, I can't remember which TDY to England. That was really awesome hearing those well-tuned big engines roar -- Wow! I also must have seen one of the last flights of the Vulcan -- the British delta-winged bomber. Those beasties were scary because the engines were fully enclosed -- a nightmare for engine fires.
I get my excitement shooting my pistols now. I must have gone 3 to 4 years without shooting, until I heard about the P380 and then I just got my PM9. That's what I'll be shooting mostly, now, that and the K9. I like shooting the S&W 645, but I carry the PM9 and want to keep it simple. If I ever get my darn P380N, I'm sure that will be main carry piece... maybe.
Wynn:D

John Murtha, PA congressman, 77 just died. Man, it's hard not to say "One down...."