PDA

View Full Version : Held a K Kahr for the First Time

hoghunter
11-23-2011, 07:31 PM
I guess its true, you always remember the first time. Well today was the first time I ever held a steel Kahr. It was a K40 (they didn't have any K9s). I should have never picked one up. I am gonna have to start saving up for a K9 Elite. I say the Elite because the folks at the LGS are simply not recommending the standard K9 due to the NYPD Trigger. I don't know the difference but it was enough to where the the LGS just could not recommend it. I have a CM9 now and don't really want to sell it, but my rule is no buy until I sell. I put so much effort into this CM9 to get it perfect but the steel Kahr is calling me. Someone please tell me I should just be happy with my flawless CM9 and forget about the K9 elite.

Thunder71
11-23-2011, 07:44 PM
I feel your pain. I recently picked up an MK9 after bring 100% happy with my PM9. I'm torn as to whether or not to keep both, there's no reason for me too really.

I'm no help here am I lol.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Bawanna
11-23-2011, 07:44 PM
I guess its true, you always remember the first time. Well today was the first time I ever held a steel Kahr. It was a K40 (they didn't have any K9s). I should have never picked one up. I am gonna have to start saving up for a K9 Elite. I say the Elite because the folks at the LGS are simply not recommending the standard K9 due to the NYPD Trigger. I don't know the difference but it was enough to where the the LGS just could not recommend it. I have a CM9 now and don't really want to sell it, but my rule is no buy until I sell. I put so much effort into this CM9 to get it perfect but the steel Kahr is calling me. Someone please tell me I should just be happy with my flawless CM9 and forget about the K9 elite.

I think the NYPD trigger is a thing of the past. The standard K9 and the Elite would have the same trigger. I'd have to confirm this but I think this si the way it is.
Not sure where your LGS guys are getting their info.

Truth be told the NYPD trigger I tried once wasn't that bad.

hoghunter
11-23-2011, 07:52 PM
Bawanna,
What's so funny is that I went on the LGS website and they actually state right there on the K9 standard description that they do not recommend purchasing this item until the NYPD trigger is a thing of the past. So crazy to see a store post this on their ad. Here is a copy/paste from their webpage:

ITEM # K9093C. THE STANDARD K9 PISTOL IS CURRENTLY BEING OFFERED ONLY IN THE "NEW YORK CITY PD SPEC" MODEL. IT HAS A 1/2 INCH TRIGGER PULL INSTEAD OF THE 3/8 INCH PULL FOUND ON ALL OTHER MODELS. WHY? I HAVEN'T A CLUE. I WOULD SUGGEST BUYING THE OTHER KAHR MODELS UNTIL THE "NEW YORK" INFLUENCE HAS DISSIPATED. THESE ARE GREAT GUNS AND I THINK THE SHORTER TRIGGER PULL IS ONE OF THE BEST IN THE MARKETPLACE. YOUR CHOICE. ITEM #K9093C

Bug Splat
11-23-2011, 08:15 PM
Meh, I like the longer "NYPD" trigger. The only safety is the trigger pull and I honestly prefer a longer pull in a pistol I stuff down my pants. If you have ever shot a revolver its about the same length but lighter. Not a fan of the Poly Kahrs. They just don't feel right and I'm a huge Glock fan too. I have never held a better fitting pistol than a K9/K40. See no reason to spend the extra cash for an elite model if you can't tell the difference. Since the LGS is so eager to not sell the standard K9 make them a lower offer to take it off their hands and spare some other poor soul from the torturous NY trigger.

JFootin
11-23-2011, 08:22 PM
Bawanna,
What's so funny is that I went on the LGS website and they actually state right there on the K9 standard description that they do not recommend purchasing this item until the NYPD trigger is a thing of the past. So crazy to see a store post this on their ad. Here is a copy/paste from their webpage:

ITEM # K9093C. THE STANDARD K9 PISTOL IS CURRENTLY BEING OFFERED ONLY IN THE "NEW YORK CITY PD SPEC" MODEL. IT HAS A 1/2 INCH TRIGGER PULL INSTEAD OF THE 3/8 INCH PULL FOUND ON ALL OTHER MODELS. WHY? I HAVEN'T A CLUE. I WOULD SUGGEST BUYING THE OTHER KAHR MODELS UNTIL THE "NEW YORK" INFLUENCE HAS DISSIPATED. THESE ARE GREAT GUNS AND I THINK THE SHORTER TRIGGER PULL IS ONE OF THE BEST IN THE MARKETPLACE. YOUR CHOICE. ITEM #K9093C

I remember someone posting here a while back about ordering a K9 and getting one with the NYPD trigger, though it wasn't specified in the ad. I think Kahr has been kinda sloppy about filling orders for regular K9s with the NYPD models. The actions of this LGS is pretty good proof of what I am saying.

tv_racin_fan
11-23-2011, 10:48 PM
I would keep the CM foe those times you can't carry the K myself. (tho for the life of me I can't think of one of those times..)

If you were closer I would allow you to hold onto one of my K9s..

G3709
11-23-2011, 11:38 PM
I am the one who ordered a K9 from Buds that has the model listed as K9093A. At the time, words already came out that all K9, Elite included, have Elite trigger pull and that Kahr had done away with the NYPD one. Because California approves model K9093A, I assumed that what I bought was going to have Elite trigger but it turned out the model on the box says K9093AC NYPD trigger. I tested the trigger pull and found it too light to my liking. Due to the longer trigger pull compensating for it, I went ahead accept the pistol. I talked to Buds how come the not-approved model number K9093AC was allowed to send to CA, and was told that since the two pistols are virtually the same, CA DOJ allowed it.

QuercusMax
11-24-2011, 06:32 AM
..... CA DOJ allowed it.

One of the things I am thankful for this Thanksgiving is that the state I live in, and most other states in this country, do not inflict all of this extra "protection" upon their citizens. I wonder if there is even one person in California who benefits from this "protection" (besides the extra workers the state has to employ to deal with all of it)?

jocko
11-24-2011, 07:12 AM
kahr has never REALLY done away with the NYPD trigger. It is now just not standard on the K9 as it used to be a year or so ago. I have no idea why it is not CA approved eithe,r and I am sgoing to say that I seriously doubt that it is even,. The trigger pull in poundage is the same, the distance on the NYPD trigger is merely 1/8" further. I have it on my K9 and being my PM9 has the elite triger I have to say in allhonestly I cannot tell the differencein the trigger travel. YMMV. Ur trigger pullis going to be the sme aon he K9 elite. which willbe anywhere from 6-7.54# as we have seen vaiations from owners and alot of that I do think is the testing equipjkent itself, as wolffs makes the striker spring for kahrs and I just have a hard time believing wolffs springs are off as much as some state but again 6# trigger on a long double action gun to me seem well in order. I have had the 5# striker spring from wolffs in my PM9 a d K9 since I got them and love um. Certainly not a hairy trigger IMO and the gungoes bang every tome.

I think my G19 even came with a 5# trigger in them. I think maybe the reason u might feel the kahr K9 trigger was to light was that it is so so totally smooth that it gives the feeling of being light but in essence it is not.

G3709
11-25-2011, 12:16 PM
I learn to cope with CA nonsense gun laws that have been becoming stricter and stricter over the years but still piss at its approved handguns list. I cannot purchase a black K9 because K9094 model is not on the list. 15 years ago, I sold a friend a Walther P5C and cannot buy one now because it is not on the list. I have been living in Southern CA for more than 40 years and so are most of my closed relatives. It is late and inconvenient for me to move to another state. I would support splitting CA into two states, North and South then South CA could have a different gun laws. I believe that the North would not allow it to happen though.

Kahrcarrier
11-29-2011, 01:05 PM
My PM40 trigger feels just like my new (as of two months ago) K9 trigger..

I also picked up a used E9 just a couple weeks ago and that trigger has a noticeable longer trigger pull than any of my other Kahrs, but even then it's still leaps and bounds over any other DAO triggers I have experienced. Why these guys recommend waiting on the purchases is nuts IMO. :crazy:
IMO, it's still one of the best trigger pulls on a DOA auto-loader I've ever shot; that's why I bought another, and am planning on one more in the next week or so.

eltee
02-02-2012, 07:35 PM
How does one tell the difference between the various triggers. As far as I know all my Kahrs ar standard triggers. The last new one I bought was a K9 in 2000. I've bought two used ones since. I'm not aware of any diferences, but now I am curious.

Tank
02-03-2012, 10:34 PM
I have a CM9 now and don't really want to sell it, but my rule is no buy until I sell. I put so much effort into this CM9 to get it perfect but the steel Kahr is calling me. Someone please tell me I should just be happy with my flawless CM9 and forget about the K9 elite.

I can't tell you to forget about the K9, but your rule that you have to sell the CM9 before you get another gun might be something we could work on.

I sure don't want to get into your business but if you can swing the 2 guns who cares, these even shoot the same ammo. If you buy, keep and shoot a handgun over say a 20 year period the cost of the gun is pretty low over the enjoyment you get out of them. I totally get the picture if the kids all need braces and yada, yada, yada, there just isn't the money for two guns. I can under stand that.

We are only down here once so if you can make it work, keep the CM9 you have the blood sweat and tears in and get the K9. Maybe down the road you will find you have a favorite and don't mind getting rid of 1 of them. Just my 2 cents worth.

On a side note, I've been to central FL hog hunting with some friends that now live down there. That is a good time!!!

Bongo Boy
02-06-2012, 08:02 PM
As the recently-new owner of a K40, I can't be of any help is dissuading you from answering the siren of machined steel. In fact, I recommend to anyone asking for a recommendation (and to some who aren't) they at least feel its awesomeness.

I have to say Tank's recommendation is the no-lose one--I'd hate to give up something that works looking for greener grass, only to be a heartbroken man. But, if you enjoy the K9 half as much as I'm liking my K40, either way you go will be a win. OTOH, I do applaud you for having thought about how much of your life you want to see tied up in toys--that's a good thing for anyone to think about.

opr1945
02-09-2012, 08:52 PM
I have a K series and a PM series. I like the heft and feel of the steel gun. but there are times when it is just to heavy. So it seems to me the guns serve different purposes. You need the right tool for the job.

I have several types of wrenches for different jobs. So with the Kahrs. JMO.
Get one of each.

Retops
02-13-2012, 10:37 AM
I have a K9 with NYPD trigger and find that it is not much different from my MK9 and PM9 with the regular triggers. It is a bit long, but super smooth, and I was shooting fine with it right out of the box. I really don't have any problem with it at all.