PDA

View Full Version : How Long on "New Posts" and Email Subscriptions?

sierrajb
12-01-2011, 11:48 AM
Just curious...

I hit the "New Posts" first time and every time I visit to get the latest. Sometimes I return to a post I'm interested in only to find it is no longer under "New Posts." So, I have to search around to find it again to pick up where I left off. To keep track of the latest posts on a thread, I simply subscribe to that thread and have Kahrtalk notify me via email.

So, 2 Questions:

1. How long does it take for a post to move off the "New Post" list?

2. How long do the email notifications last? After a while I quit receiving email notifications from some threads that I have subscribed to.

Thanks!

jocko
12-01-2011, 11:52 AM
good question:

DubDubU
12-01-2011, 11:54 AM
you could also use ' quick links - todays posts'

Bawanna
12-01-2011, 12:00 PM
That's all I ever use is the new post. Once you've read a post it stays until the page is filled up and then will be pushed off. At least that's how it seems to work. If some one adds to it, it goes back to the top since you haven't read it.

I've not used the email notification so I'm clueless on that one.

JFootin
12-01-2011, 12:20 PM
I think there are a few flaws in the system. I'll do the New Posts search and get a whole page and sometimes part of a second page of threads with unread posts, read one or 2, come back in an hour and search again and get only 3 or 4 threads. So, the system kind of loses track every now and again. Maybe there is some time factor involved.

A couple of other bits of knowledge:

The New Posts search also brings up any new activity in the for sale sections.
The new posts window on the home page is limited to about 10 threads, even if there are older unread posts available. That is why there is a New Posts link.

sierrajb
12-01-2011, 12:25 PM
I think there are a few flaws in the system. I'll do the New Posts search and get a whole page and sometimes part of a second page of threads with unread posts, read one or 2, come back in an hour and search again and get only 3 or 4 threads. So, the system kind of loses track every now and again. Maybe there is some time factor involved.

J, that's exactly what I'm sayin'. Unless I take note of what sub-forum it's in, the thread that was once in New Posts, becomes "lost" until I can track it down. At times, I've had to resort to using the Search to locate a thread that was recently on New Posts.

Just didn't know if I was missing something or not.

johnatw
12-02-2011, 06:15 AM
I think once you view the "new Posts" they are then considered "old Posts" What I'm trying to say is "new Posts" are posts you have not viewed since the last time you signed on to the site.

sierrajb
12-02-2011, 07:14 AM
I see your logic and reasoning, but it's not working that way at all. I can click on NEW POSTS and a full page of threads pop up...previously viewed threads, and threads I've never visited. I find a post I'm interested in and click on it. After a while, I need to get back to work, so I leave the forum. Later, I return and do the same procedure. Sometimes that NEW POSTS list is the same (with a few minor updates from other posters). Other times, the list has decreased to only a few threads, and my thread I visited an hour or two earlier is no longer there. So, I must find in by other means.

This is the issue I'm asking about. I think JFootin has hit the nail on the head (again). Thanks!

Bawanna
12-02-2011, 09:23 AM
That's because you logged out, it thinks you looked at everything you wanted to look at. If the list looks the same the next time you log in it's because someone added to the threads to keep them new.
It happens to me when I'm looking and get called to dinner or something at home. Rather than just stay logged in and come back I log out and lose it all.

OldLincoln
12-02-2011, 10:22 AM
If you have cookies enabled, new posts show any unread post on the forum. By unread it means if you open the thread itself, it considers all those posts read. I often leave a thread before the last post and the next visit it goes to the newest post since I opened the that thread last. Posts made for a thread while you have it open are not shown unless you refresh the thread.

This is how the forum works for me as do all the other forums I visit.

JFootin
12-02-2011, 10:34 AM
That's because you logged out, it thinks you looked at everything you wanted to look at. If the list looks the same the next time you log in it's because someone added to the threads to keep them new.
It happens to me when I'm looking and get called to dinner or something at home. Rather than just stay logged in and come back I log out and lose it all.

B, I don't think that is the case. It doesn't mark posts read until you click over there and read them. And it works correctly most of the time. But every now and again, it loses track and seems to mark almost everything read.

sierrajb
12-02-2011, 01:47 PM
B, I don't think that is the case. It doesn't mark posts read until you click over there and read them. And it works correctly most of the time. But every now and again, it loses track and seems to mark almost everything read.

True, JFootin. And to be honest, I NEVER sign out (should I?). I like to check throughout the day for the latest, so I stay signed in all the time. The times when I have noticed the "vanishing" NEW POSTS has usually been close to the end of the day....as if someone decided it was time to start all over and archive the NEW POSTS of that day, leaving only 2-3 listed. Hmmm, go figger.:der:

JFootin
12-02-2011, 02:54 PM
True, JFootin. And to be honest, I NEVER sign out (should I?). I like to check throughout the day for the latest, so I stay signed in all the time. The times when I have noticed the "vanishing" NEW POSTS has usually been close to the end of the day....as if someone decided it was time to start all over and archive the NEW POSTS of that day, leaving only 2-3 listed. Hmmm, go figger.:der:

I've seen it happen most at midday. Oh well, if a thread is getting interesting, more posts will happen and I can review.

JFootin
12-03-2011, 07:35 AM
OK. It happened again. First time I visited the forum since a little after 11:00 last night, and the only thread showing the Go To Unread Posts link is Nobama At it Again. So, I clicked the Today's Threads quick link and get 50 threads with posts since midnight!

Is anybody else seeing this this morning?

OldLincoln
12-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Problem's leaving here fine! No it worked fine for me. You may consider deleting your kahrtalk cookies. If in Firefox, just right click on the forum page, then View Page Info., then security, then View Cookies, scroll down to Kahrtalk.com cookies & highlite them all then click Remove Cookie.

You will have to log in the next time and it won't know the last viewed, etc., but will learn that visit.

JFootin
12-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Nah. It doesn't happen often enough to do that. I think its database just gets corrupted every now and then. If it uses Access or something like it, corruption is a real possibility.

johnh
12-04-2011, 09:36 AM
The new posts are based on a since last login check, so if your results are inconsistent that suggests your browser is not correctly logging you in and out. As others pointed out above, clearing out your cookies might correct this that time, but would not prevent it from happening again. It is always difficult to diagnose why one PC will act this way and another not, given browser variations, update revisions, etc.. Lots of variables. New posts works for me on the various PCs I use.

JFootin
12-04-2011, 09:55 AM
Thanks, JohnH. It only happens every now and then, so no big deal. And I never log out. I use Mozilla Firefox on a Windows XP-Pro OS with all updates.

JFootin
12-04-2011, 10:00 AM
The new posts are based on a since last login check, so if your results are inconsistent that suggests your browser is not correctly logging you in and out. As others pointed out above, clearing out your cookies might correct this that time, but would not prevent it from happening again. It is always difficult to diagnose why one PC will act this way and another not, given browser variations, update revisions, etc.. Lots of variables. New posts works for me on the various PCs I use.

BTW, John, I close the window when I am finished reading. But during a reading session, I will go back to home page and refresh it to pick up new posts. As far as I know, refreshing the home page doesn't log me out and back in, so it seems to get new posts since the last refresh, not the last login. Same thing with the New Posts button.