PDA

View Full Version : How to improve trigger pull weight?

bczrx
12-02-2011, 11:18 PM
I have an older K9. I bought it used in 2002. Around 2004 I put a new trigger in it and think it was the Elite. However, I think the trigger was the only part I changed.

The trigger is smooth and breaks cleanly.

However, the pull weight is about 7lbs, as measured on my Lyman guage.

I tried the trigger on a P45 the other day and I swear it was in the 5lb range, like my 1911s and my Hi Powers.

So, how do I bring the trigger pull weight down on my K9?

Do I need to install the elite trigger bar, as well as an elite spacer and elite trigger return spring?

Or will this not make a difference?

Thanks all!

Foggy
12-03-2011, 12:01 AM
Send your K9 to Robar Guns. They do an outstanding job with the Kahr triggers. Ask me how I know ...

jocko
12-03-2011, 02:11 AM
I have an older K9. I bought it used in 2002. Around 2004 I put a new trigger in it and think it was the Elite. However, I think the trigger was the only part I changed.

The trigger is smooth and breaks cleanly.

However, the pull weight is about 7lbs, as measured on my Lyman guage.

I tried the trigger on a P45 the other day and I swear it was in the 5lb range, like my 1911s and my Hi Powers.

So, how do I bring the trigger pull weight down on my K9?

Do I need to install the elite trigger bar, as well as an elite spacer and elite trigger return spring?

Or will this not make a difference?

Thanks all!

go to wolffs gunsprings and order the 5# striker spring, it drops right in the slide. no mods needs. There is no different trigger bar if u have the elitre in there. What u have is perfect, u just need the 5
# spring. Ihave it in my K9 and pM9 and they work great. Does not change the trigger travel of 3/8" but only the pull poundage. Rounds down range willdo the same as any trigger job IMO, as kahrs triggers are smooth as glass anyway. just not mjuch you can do to make that part any better.

gunsprings.com;)

OldLincoln
12-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Also, polish both striker cams to a shine and lightly rub a teardrop of light grease on them. Put judt a tiny mini-drop of oil along side the cams to hit the shaft. Same with the trigger disconnect tab just on the outside right of the frame from the cams. Work the trigger plenty to make sure it gets around. And, of course the usual oil on the trigger pivot.

You should be able to push the striker back with a thumb and if it feels gritty, take it down and clean out the channel and polish the outside of the striker assembly. When reassembled it should be very smooth.

When you do all that you have everything except a complete tear down trigger job. If you do the 5lb striker spring at the same time you can't get much better than that.

Note: Wolfe states the 5lb spring is not for self defense use. Jocko loves it so it may be okay, but the trigger action is good enough for me with the standard spring. This is only information so your mileage may vary.

Bill K
12-03-2011, 02:23 PM
... Rounds down range willdo the same as any trigger job IMO, as kahrs triggers are smooth as glass anyway. just not mjuch you can do to make that part any better.

So when did that happen on your PM9, around 30,000 rounds? :)

jocko
12-03-2011, 02:33 PM
no seriously, I had sent my PM9 into Cylinder and Slide for way way to uch mod sh-t that was a total waste of money IMJO andone ofd the mods was naturaly a trigger job, which IMO personal opinion did not improve it one bit. My PM9 was smooth back then anyhow but like alot, we always think we can getit better. My personal feelings is not worth spending the money. Not so ay one cannot get a creepy kahr but this is sur eno t the norm, they have IMO one of the simplest and smoothest trigger systems one can ever take out of the box. I installed the 53 striker spring myself even, which to me imporved the gun alot. I never didanthingt tomy K9 other than install the 5# striker spring and it feels just as smooth as my PM9 with suppolsably a trigger job done by C & S.

Ol lincolon wolffs states that for legal purposes. Heh Glocks come factory out of the box with 5# triggers so a 5# trigerin a kahr is IMO certainlyh not a hairy trigger at all. Actualy kahr statres their triggers factory are around the 7-7.5# weight but many here put a trigger gaughe on their factory kahrs and come up with 6#. I think a striker spring like a recoil spring with rounds down range will take a set and be under the 7 7-5# weight to.

I am \just trying to be uipfront with owners here, i spent damn near a grand with C & S on my PM9 and personaly it was a total waste, certainly willnever get a dime more for it if I ever sold it or anything . I am just not convinced one can do much to a kahr triger system to noticeable feel the difference, course that is just my 2 cents and most of the itme that is not worh a nickle either.

PLUS on my PM9 it then had to go back to C & S TWICE because the gun wouldnot work after they worked on it, They had put it back together wrong TWICE. so for me "so much for test firing of the gun to"..