PDA

View Full Version : Mag droping out during firing.

ad3pena
09-04-2009, 07:15 PM
I have a CW40 and after 24 or so rounds fired during a practice session my magazine is ejected. Has this ever happen to anyone and is there a fix?

steves1017
09-04-2009, 07:25 PM
I had that happen with a CW40 AND a CW45. A new mag catch solved the CW40 problem, but they (Kahr) never did solve the problem with the CW45 after 3 trips back to the factory. I was able to trade the CW45 in on a new MK40 Elite (all steel).

It is polymer guns that will give you that problem....good luck.

Steve

allan
09-04-2009, 07:39 PM
You say that it is the polymer gun that has the mag release problem. So the new P380 may have that problem also?

I have a MK9093 and a MK4043. Neither has had any problem.

thanks. Allan

09-04-2009, 08:20 PM
My P380 does not have that problem. It shoots like gangbusters! I have not had so much as a hiccup from that gun.

mr.72
09-05-2009, 07:24 AM
My CW9 did the same thing, new mag release, spring, AND magazine follower were required to fix it. I have heard of a lot of Kahrs having this problem, mostly CW9s but I suspect that's because CW9s are the most common Kahrs.

doubletap
09-05-2009, 08:24 PM
My [CW40] mag dropped out twice (about a thousand rds fired). Both drops were due to my thumb hitting the eject button upon recoil. I replaced the follower spring and it seemed to make the button a little stiffer, but in my opinion, the eject button sticks out much further than any other auto I have fired. I have considered shortening (filing) the button but KA tells me that remedy would void my warranty.

shooter521
09-05-2009, 08:45 PM
I shot a friend's brand-new P45 a couple weeks ago; both of us had that happen a number of times while shooting the gun.

shooter37
09-06-2009, 07:56 AM
I also have had a mag drop incident (3) with a CW40. I thought it might just be my grip that made contact with the release but after reading these postings it sounds like Kahr has a design or fabrication issue that they are not addressing. I paid $500 (tax included) for this pistol and it should be FLAWLESS. Kahr care to speak up.

Oh yes... Kahr magazines and Ranger Win ammo....

jocko
09-06-2009, 10:03 AM
kahr went to a metal mag release a year or so back the new P380 has the metal release and you should have no problems at all. If you have a cw or PM dropping magazines, and it is not ur thumb hitting the mag release call kahr and have them send you a new metal release along with a new mag release spring. I have been told that the new spring is even alittle more stout and will help eliminate accidental bumping...It is a no braiiner to install, so don't send it back for that job. A long nose set of pliers is all that is needed.

One can google up proper poto installation of the magazine release also.

mrjordan2u
09-06-2009, 11:48 AM
This is happening to my CW45.
I've put 250+/- rounds thru it in two different magazines. And I KNOW I'm not hitting the release button by accident.
Im currently trying to get ahold of tech support to see what can be done about this.

shooter37
09-06-2009, 02:06 PM
Jocko
Thanks for the input.. I will call Kahr but I'm surprised that they do not alert other owners that a problem exists. CW pistols are self defense directed and are expected to be fully reliable. Maybe I'm just hard nosed.....
Thanks again.

linux3
09-06-2009, 03:00 PM
My P45 is dropping mags.
Last time I emailed Kahr they sent me a new mag release spring.
This worked for a little while, kind of but now it's back.
I tried to use my PM9 at a Defensive Shoot and it just kept jamming.
My friends let me know what an idiot I was for shooting a Kahr.
I sent it back and they replaced the barrel and slide.

I tried to use my P45 and the mag kept dropping out. Do you know what this looks like at a Defensive Carry Competition? I looked like a fool for having a Kahr.
I paid around $36.00 to send the PM9 back to Kahr now what do I do about the P45?

I had a TP9093 on order but I bailed.

mr.72
09-07-2009, 09:03 PM
I know it is commonly said that Kahr "switched" to a metal magazine release but I can't imagine any plastic part working in this application. It wouldn't last 100 rounds. So I think they probably have always been metal ???

But anyway, the new one they sent me was identical to the original one. Same for the spring. It improved the problem but didn't fix it 100%. Seems to be nearly fixed after also replacing the magazine follower. But I hear of this problem a LOT with CW pistols and I guarantee you I am not depressing the release button.

linux3
09-08-2009, 06:59 PM
I know it is commonly said that Kahr "switched" to a metal magazine release but I can't imagine any plastic part working in this application. It wouldn't last 100 rounds. So I think they probably have always been metal ???
The mag release on my P45 is plastic. I am very sure.

mikec
09-09-2009, 07:38 PM
My P45 drops magazines about every 20 rounds, I thought it was me, so I made a spacer and taped it over the mag. release button and it still drops the mag. The release on mine is steel. The gun is very unreliable for conceal carry. Has Kahr came up with a real fix to this problem? I wanted to get my wife a P9, but if you can't put 6 rounds on target without having to reset the mag. the gun is usless.

kross54
10-30-2009, 09:14 PM
I've put about 300 rounds through my CW40 over the last 18 months. The magazine drops out after a few rounds. I tried shooting with one hand and having a friend watch my shooting hand from the rear. I am not making contact with the magazine relase.

I have not contacted Kahr yet. Very frustrating as I bought this pistol for concealed carry. Carrying a Ruger LCP now and it has no issues.

kross54
11-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Contacted Kahr support today and got a quick reply and an offer to send a replacement magazine release button. I'll post here with the results after I install.

gregschneider
10-21-2011, 05:44 PM
My P380 just came back and is now being re-DROSed. What a drag, but Kahr was kind enough to throw in a couple of extra mags as compensation. We'll see if the new frame fixed the problem. It was dropping the mag about every third or forth shot.

jhertzler
10-22-2011, 01:10 PM
I have a CW40 and after 24 or so rounds fired during a practice session my magazine is ejected. Has this ever happen to anyone and is there a fix?

My CW45 had the problem. Kahr sent me a new magazine latch which helped, but I think the real "fix" came from the procedure described in the attached thread that I had going with some people a while back. I hope the link works for you. If it goes to the first page, go to Page 5.

It seemed that there was too much room between the magazine and the inside of the magazine channel (inside the grip). The magazine fits too loosely inside its channel in the group allowing it to move away from the latch when you fire the gun. So, I stuck a small piece of velcro tape on the inside of the channel to hold the magazine more tightly against the side that has the latch. This prevents the magazine from moving away from the latch when you shoot it. It has worked well for me. The tape stays in place well. If you can live with it, this has been a good fix.

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1612&highlight=magazine+drop&page=5

Joe

sharpetop
10-22-2011, 04:48 PM
My CW9 had the same issue [so I thought] the first couple of range sessions. I changed my grip ever so slightly. With a two handed grip, I now pull my right thumb down below the mag release button with my left thumb and the issue has disappeared.

jocko
10-22-2011, 04:52 PM
if u can insert the magazie and then if u can't physically pull it back out without hititng the mag button, then IMO there isnothing wrong with the system. check ur shooting style, the problem could lie there.

The actual shooting of the gun has nadda to do with if the magazine stays put our not, but what ones hand does duringt this shootinbg event certainly does...

MW surveyor
10-22-2011, 04:54 PM
Could this be the "its not me, my thumb was never on the release" excuse?

BTW - Couldn't you guys start a new post instead of digging one up from the 2009 grave? :)

jocko
10-22-2011, 05:01 PM
u know better than that, it is never "shooter error"..

MW surveyor
10-22-2011, 05:06 PM
of course not!

BTW - i am not in favor of zombie threads. unless they are real good ones.

yatyas42
10-23-2011, 06:16 PM
I had this Problem, the mag was securely in the frame, but it would fall out during firing. Did it for multiple shooters, left and right handed. Kahr put a new mag catch and spring in it, and it works great now! 100percent sure it was not shooter error!

bwc2a1
11-26-2013, 06:20 PM
I have had problems with the the magazine releasing on my new PM9. Just happens with the extended magazines. At first thought it may be faulty extended mag so got another one. New one does the same thing. During firing the magazine will partially slip out. I have been shooting small handguns for years and I am about 95% sure Im not hitting mag release. Order new mag release and spring so will see how that goes. Love the PM9 but I wont use until I learn better or replacement parts fix the problem. $30 bucks from Kahr so not very costly. Of course it occurred to me after I bought parts to have someone else shoot and see how they do! Anyone have same problem and needed parts let me know if Im going right direction or need something else.

bwc2a1
12-07-2013, 02:15 PM
I replaced my release button and spring didnt solve the problem. Also had my son shoot and had same results. Guess it is going back to Kahr! Not what i expected from a $600+ handgun. Cant use for concealed carry until I get it fixed. Use mine for work so must be 100% confident!!

bwc2a1
12-07-2013, 02:51 PM
One other thing of interest is I only have problems with extended mags( 2 different magazines), With the extended mags they drop free when mag release button is depressed. The flush fitting - 6 round magazine doesnt drop free on its own. Accordingly I have never had any issues with the 6 rounder dropping out during firing. Really like my PM9 so hopefully Kahr will get it fixed.

jocko
12-07-2013, 03:06 PM
insert the agazine loaded and see ifu can physically pull it out. If not I would suspect sumpin is moving the mag release button enough to release it. try shooti it left handed, that will get u away from that button to. u gotta start some where before sending back a kgun that might just be OK.

Not saying it is u either but if i9t won't come out of the gun once in, I find nuttin that hits the mag release button durng the firing cycle.

When that magazie is in the gun is the right side of the mag release button flush with the grip as it will look the same with no mag in thegun. The button shold be totally flush, not sticking out a tad. I would et this is one of the smallest 9mm u have shot in years though and there isn't alot of grip area and sh!t happens when the bang thing happens and it happens fast and even if it was u, u woul dnot notice ur doing it.

U have a point in letting anutter shooter try it,but try left handed and see what happens.

My 21 cent son this, i the past we have seen some feed issues with the extended magazines, and IMO u bought an ultracompact 9 with a flush fit magazine, If u wanted that extra round, IMO u shouldhave bought the cw9 and had a flush fit 7 roound magazine. I have always hated those extened magazInein kahrs, they are butt ugly and in the cm and pM series, just IMO not enough mag well to maybe line up a longer extended magazine that has no mag well support. I have probably shot my extended magzine a alf dozen times in my pmj9, NEVER gave an issue,b ut I hated it and the looks of it. For range play maybe Ok but again a 7 round extended magazine will give your hand and gun a different feel than the 6 round flush fit. IMO train the way u might have to fight with it. Just sayin

Nismo
12-07-2013, 05:27 PM
Insert the mag and not only see if you can physically pull it out, but see how much travel it takes when you push the mag release until the mag pops out. It might just be barely catching on, just enough to hold it in, but pops off due to recoil/movement of the magazine inside the mag well under sudden recoil especially if the mag is shaken to the side away from the mag release.

Captquest
12-07-2013, 07:53 PM
I've been wrestling with the mag drop issue in my CW40. I instinctively pulled on the mag after inserting it many times during my shooting session at the range as the problem persisted. It takes a good push to release the mag and I am making sure none of my fingers are getting near it. My daughter had the same issue with it when she fired it. I have read several forums and viewed a couple of YouTubes on the subject too. It seems that some folks solve it with a new catch lever (mine is on the way) but some do not. Some folks had success by filing some of the catch down on the bottom believing it was bumping the projectiles and follower as they pass by the notch. I have done that very slightly, as well as touching up the corner of my followers for more clearance. I will be going to the range tomorrow and trying it out. Another strange fix I came across was a guy that fixed his by sticking a self adhesive strip of Velcro inside the mag well on the backside. He swore it never dropped out on him again. I'm even willing to give it try.
I asked the folks at Kahr if the new mag catch is modified. They said "no, just want to assure mine isn't damaged." It doesn't look damaged but I'm no expert. I'll keep trying and report my results. Will try the new catch when it arrives.

Captquest
12-09-2013, 07:18 PM
A quick update on my post above, the new mag catch did the trick for me. But I would like to mention something I observed. My hands are pretty big and I have long fingers. If I use the first knuckle to pull the trigger instead of the pad of my index, I can literally curl my finger all the way back when the triggers is in the full fire position and touch the mag release button. I wondered if during recoil, I could unintentionally be pushing the button. I made it a point to keep my finger extended out and away from the beginning, but it did not help in my case. Just thought I'd throw it out there for others with big hands that like to hug the trigger, might want to take a look at that. .

Shadetree
01-21-2014, 04:41 PM

But anyway, the new one they sent me was identical to the original one. Same for the spring. It improved the problem but didn't fix it 100%. Seems to be nearly fixed after also replacing the magazine follower. But I hear of this problem a LOT with CW pistols and I guarantee you I am not depressing the release button.

I have an early P9 and it came with a plastic magazine release button and would drop the magazine but after a change to a metal one I have not had that problem.

HAP1978
01-22-2014, 03:28 PM
I've had this happen a couple of times and I figured out it was my finger hitting the mag release button.

jocko
01-22-2014, 04:07 PM
I think jI would go with a new mag release button and spring before pancking, If u canj't pull it out and if u arenot hitting it with any part of ur hand I would think one has to look at the mag release real serious..Just sayin

Cimmerian
03-03-2014, 08:05 AM
I have both a PM9 and an MK9. It happens with both. As some have said above, I think it's a combination of hitting the release button by accident, and the fact that with this size grip for my size hands (pretty normal, probably similar for many) it's easy to hold the pistol so you put a bit of downward pressure on the magazine (so if the release is engaged even for a moment it's being pushed out so it comes out).

It's disturbing but I think a hard to fix design flaw in an otherwise owesome pistol. If you practice it's easy to avoid (though you shouldn't have to) and make it muscle memory to avoid. But annoying.

2tango2
03-03-2014, 10:46 AM
I had my new to me CW9 out at the range yesterday. It came with a 7 and 8 round magazine. No issues with the 7 rounder but the 8 rounder popped out on like the 2nd or 3rd shot

Might be a coincidence but I had the same issue with an extended mag in my xDs 45

Sticking with the 7 rounders. Besides the extended mags look goofy

jocko
03-03-2014, 12:50 PM
STICK WITH flush fit mags and u won't have any issues. PERIOD.