PDA

View Full Version : New guy here with my k9

Sap
12-16-2011, 07:57 AM
Hey there! First post on kahrtalk. I've been a cop for 11 years and have been carrying a kahr off duty since 2005. I was first turned on to kahr pistols back I 2000 by a buddy at work. He had an all black k9 and I knew I had to have one. I finally bought my first kahr in 2005, a p9 covert. It was 100% reliable from day one. I had to sell it about a year ago (personal reasons) and I really missed it. All along I really wanted a k9. So a week ago I scored a brand new black stainless k9 with night sights. The model # is k9094nc. It came with the rubber grips also. I suspect it has th NY trigger but I'm not certain. Not a huge concern if it is but thought I would mention it.

I put 215 rounds through it with a couple failures. Two ftf's and one stove pipe using Walmart WWB ammo. My carry ammo, Speer gold dot 124gr shot really nice. The k9 shot tight groups from 10 yards. Hopefully the malfunctions iron themselves out. Im gonna break it in hard with at least 500 rounds before make any judgements.
http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee462/sap169/cb939dbf.jpg

ripley16
12-16-2011, 08:03 AM
Welcome to the forum. IMHO, the all black K9 is the pick of the litter of all models.

JFootin
12-16-2011, 08:47 AM
Hello, SAP. Welcome to the friendliest forum on the Web! We are honored to have another LEO among us, and know you will find this a place you can enjoy visiting and posting at. Bawanna is our beloved moderator and a friend to everybody except trolls. And JohnH is the CEO, and a very nice guy, as well. They let us speak our minds with much freedom, only closing threads where lack of respect and personal insults rear their ugly heads. We have a lot of respect for each other here, some gut splitting humor and threads that ramble all over the place. But there is also a huge amount of knowledge about Kahrs, 1911s and guns in general that is shared here by many very intelligent and nice people. We look forward to getting to know you! :)

Thunder71
12-16-2011, 08:57 AM
Welcome!

That's a great looking gun, definitely on my 'want' list... enjoy your stay.

kb2wji
12-16-2011, 10:22 AM
You arent NYPD are you? If so, I think they just gave the K9's the ax. Trigger spring too light, making it super dangerous. I heard they will discharge if you point them skyward, just from gravity on the trigger. If so, i'll take it for $150, just so you dont have such a dangerous gun laying around.

Welcome to the forum! Best gun forum on the net, no contest. And cheers to the k9...thats on my short list of "must own".

judgnot
12-16-2011, 10:41 AM
Welcome. You might notice a thread about K9 slides not locking up tight. I as well as others would fully appreciate it if you ran your slide through various styles of cycling and releasing and determine if it locks up absolutely tight without forward assist. There are more than a couple recently built K9's that aren't locking the slides up tight after cycling. If you can please let us know what you find.

I was unknowingly sold an NY trigger gun even though I was specifically trying not to. Really bad practice that Kahr makes this so difficult for us to know.

JFootin
12-16-2011, 11:24 AM
You arent NYPD are you? If so, I think they just gave the K9's the ax. Trigger spring too light, making it super dangerous. I heard they will discharge if you point them skyward, just from gravity on the trigger. If so, i'll take it for $150, just so you dont have such a dangerous gun laying around.

If you believe that, I have shares in the Brooklyn Bridge I want to sell you. :cool:

kb2wji
12-16-2011, 06:27 PM
^ how much? :D

Sent using Tapatalk

Sap
12-16-2011, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I haven't noticed any issues with the gun not going into battery. As I said above I'll shoot the hell out of it before I draw any conclusions on the reliability. I carry a .40 Sig 226 with a DAK trigger so even a NY trigger on a Kahr is not a big deal to me. I will beat this K9 to where it's properly broken in and report back to you fine people. I'm not NYPD and I know enough about government agencies to know that they don't always make sound decisions about what police do or do not carry with any equipment including firearms. That's a fact with any gov't agency. Again thank you for the welcome :) I hope to report back with a good report from my K9.

kahrking
12-16-2011, 07:51 PM
Welcome, I just added a BLK K9 to my litter.

yqtszhj
12-16-2011, 09:04 PM
Welcome and man that pistol is nice. I could add that to my "I want" list.

Sap
02-21-2012, 02:11 PM
I've lost track but I probably have close to 1000 rounds through my K9. No malfunctions since I replaced the out of spec extractor. I've put everything through from 115 gr WWB to 147 gr hydra shocks. Lots of 124 gr LE loads in between, Speer GD and Federal HST's. Love this gun

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee462/sap169/29b054fc.jpg

jocko
02-21-2012, 02:15 PM
Oh my what a beautiful gun and the black just makes it so so nice. It is IMO as attrractive as any 1911..

tv_racin_fan
02-22-2012, 12:44 AM
I would love one of those but it needs to be melted a bit. I have a somewhat melted one and a stock one.. both older models. I want to melt the stock one even more than the other one but can not spend the cash at the moment. If it was the plain stainless model I would do some of it myself. Heck I think imma do it anyway then when I finish I can either blue it or dura/ceracoat it or heck just rattle can paint until I can afford something better finish wise.

Sap
02-22-2012, 11:06 AM
I know what you mean. There are some sharp edges on a k9. Particularly the slide lock and the bottom edges of the slide. Still a great edc tho

jdr3366
02-22-2012, 03:08 PM
Black K9. A gotta have item.

Welcome.