PDA

View Full Version : Update: Tactical Kydex Mag Holders available again.

wyntrout
01-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Hi, I just received my first order of Kahr 9mm mag azine holders and want to show the photos. Mitchell can vary the length of the clip to suit your needs This is the standard 1 1/2" lip on the IWB model. The pictures are are of my PM9 mags. I've sent him a P380 mag and he is making a mold for that, so he can make IWB or OWB mag holders for 9mm and 380 Kahr now. His link:

http://glocktalk.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=54884&title=kydex-magazine-holders-for-pistol-and-rifle-magazines&cat=8 (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1122507)

I ordered 2 IWB for my P380 mags and 1 each OWB for 9mm and .380. A pair of holders is $16.00 shipped and a double is $21.00 shipped -- Unbelievable! *** check prices at his site... slightly higher now. 9-26-2011***
For now it's his "Hobby".:)
Wynn

Pix for 9mm (PM9 shown):

<I'm having trouble with my DSL -- Raining here.:rain: I'm on the phone with AT&T MX>:(

fitzgood
01-21-2010, 12:38 PM
Could just be the photo angle but...It looks like there is more space between the mag pouch and the clip than would be needed. All that is going to fit in there is you pants band right? Important thing is...How do they fit and feel?

wyntrout
01-21-2010, 01:22 PM
It looks like there's about 1/4" between the holder and the "J" clip. The clip goes behind your belt with the lip outside the bottom of the belt. It's not "tuckable". I always wear my shirts untucked and carry my gun IWB. The holder wasn't quite as tight as I wanted and a small screwdriver adjustment made it perfect. I haven't tried carrying with it, yet, but it looks like I would want it at the 8:45 to 9:00 area so that it won't be in the way of my growing abdomen. I haven't gone anywhere, yet, so I don't know if the position will need adjustment for driving. If I carry two mags, I'll probably put the other near the gun on the right side. You could carefully heat and squash the clip toward the holder, but it would be better to ask for less clearance, though the ~1/4" will fit heavy pants.
I believe that Mitchell will work with you on the clip length, etc... maybe a "tuckable" even. Kydex isn't cheap, though, and I'm surprised he can keep this hobby this inexpensive, so far. Great value for your money and he handles orders fairly quickly, especially for what must be a time-consuming hobby. I ordered and paid by personal PayPal on the 15th and I just got the holders first class USPS this morning, the 21st.
I took a picture of the clip gap and sill didn't get it lined up just right. It's about 1/4".

Wynn:)

mx5fan
02-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Wynn,

I wanted to say thank you for the link the Mitchell's kydex mag holders. I ordered a couple for my PM9 with belt loops and he does a great job at an amazing price and quick too.

As soon as I figure out what other mag holders I "need", I'll be ordering more from Mitchell at:

tacticalkydex@bellsouth.net

Thanks again!!:yo:

wyntrout
02-03-2010, 12:37 PM
You're welcome, mx5fan. I like to pass along info on good deals like that. I'll probably receive my future PM45 mag holders in the next few days. I'll be set then...well, there's still the missing P380, but I have everything else for it!
Wynn:D

wyntrout
03-11-2010, 09:01 AM
Hi, I've been thinking about this conversion for a while. The clip makes this less than ideal for pocket carry... so I cut the clip of my extra IWB mag-holder from Tactical Kydex using a pair of scissors. I then trimmed the cut as necessary with a razor knife. I used my butane BenzOMatic torch to smooth edges as necessary. Be careful doing this! Practice on the clip you just cut off. I didn't, but I moved the blue flame quickly across the cut area and one pass was nearly perfect. I trimmed just a tad more off and then used the torch again.

This makes a nice adjustable-for-retention magazine holder/protector for your pocket. I guess that I'm going to do the same for the .380 and maybe two for the .45 since I have extra mag-holders and the will leave me one each IWB and OWB per three calibers. It's easy to just grab one and put it in my pocket or to carry more than one spare.

If you order some more holders from Mitchell, you can mix and match types and calibers... you could probably get him to make them without the clip -- no mod necessary and easier for him -- a new line!

The results are shown below:

wyntrout
03-11-2010, 12:37 PM
a.squibload asked:
"Looks good, I assume you just grab it and thumb the holder off of the mag.
That would be a lot better than fumbling around in my pocket trying to
figure out the orientation of the mag. I'm still a little skittish about having
clips on my belt, normally have shirt tucked. Maybe he'll develop a tuckable
clip. Looks like there's not much clip visible anyway."

Either two-handed or keep your eyes on the action while you're working it off one-handed. With adjustable tension you can make it "fall-off" ready to make it as easy as you wish -- just practice freeing it and changing mags without losing sight of your "target" and while using available cover. The open top of the magazine is protected and it should stay covered in your pocket.

I would think that you could email Mitchell and ask him about a "tuckable" that would just require a longer holder-side tab on the IWB clip. I don't know, though. this is his hobby and I don't know how far he's willing to go or how much longer he's going to continue this as a hobby. I think he has a "real" job, too, and may be getting overwhelmed. I don't know.
When I wear the tuckable, I have to wear it around 8 o'clock the keep the mag from digging my side or interfering with sitting down. It's the same with the OWB, too, for me. Again, I'm talking T-shirt or polo-shirt and shorts, shirts UNTUCKED -- too hot down here and I'm hot-natured, too(sweat a lot).

rnpollard
03-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Nice looking mag pouches.

wyntrout
03-17-2011, 05:30 PM
I just found this on GlockTalk dated 01-18-2011:

Tactical kydex
Kydex maker

This is an old post. I am back at making kydex magazine holders

Pairs are $20.00 shipped

Double is $25.00 shipped

AR mag holder is $24.00 shipped

Contact at

http://glocktalk.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=54884&title=kydex-magazine-holders-for-pistol-and-rifle-magazines&cat=8

Mitchell does great work.

Bawanna
03-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Darn Wynn you got me going with this one. I didnt recall this and thought it was all new, I'm reading through and out of the blue here's MX5 Fan, I thought heck yeah, she's back but alas we're talking vintage history.
I'm semi crushed as I still miss her contributions here.

OH well. I'm off to baseball practice. 16 year olds. Fun, fun , fun........

wyntrout
03-17-2011, 05:48 PM
Have fun!

If you need inexpensive mag holders, it's hard to beat Mitchell's.

melissa5
03-22-2011, 07:47 PM
I just ordered a double mag pouch for a cargo pocket. I've seen them for a single mag, but never 2 mags. Looking forward to seeing what he puts together.

wyntrout
03-23-2011, 12:03 AM
On this thread I posted about how I got extras and cut the clips off for pocket carry. A double would work, too. Maybe you won't have to cut the clip(s) off for a cargo pocket.

I'm thinking about a double or two for 1911 mags. The 1911 mags seem to fit my PM45 mag holders.

I got IWB holders, too, but they are no fun as I have to cinch my belt up pretty tight for IWB carry of my Kahrs. I use the OWB holders on the opposite side and added a flap between the magazine and my skin. I used black vinyl on some and hard plastic plus Moleskin (Dr. Scholl's) to soften that against my "lovehandles."

melissa5
03-23-2011, 07:21 AM
On this thread I posted about how I got extras and cut the clips off for pocket carry. A double would work, too. Maybe you won't have to cut the clip(s) off for a cargo pocket.

That's a good idea, Wynn. The mag holder he is making for me isn't pictured on his Glock talk thread and will be slightly different than a regular double with clips. I'll post pics when I receive it.

CW9owner
03-23-2011, 08:15 PM
Have fun!

If you need inexpensive mag holders, it's hard to beat Mitchell's.

Was in the market myself for some inexpensive mag holders as well this is what I came up with.Target Sports Israeli Tactical Mag Pouch this happen to be for a 45 acp single stack double pouch. $6.99 each $9.99 shipping. { CDNN } Shipping covers any and all items ordered no matter quantity. Purchased for my CW so the pouch was a bit large. Fixed this problem with Velcro pads the soft part applied in mag compartments perfect fit.

wyntrout
03-23-2011, 09:06 PM
Great, Melissa. And thanks for the post, CW9owner. I've bought a lot of magazines and stuff from CDNN. I usually look for everything I might want with the one price for any quantity shipping.

My wife is finally ready to watch some TV... after 11PM! Gotta go.

Garland
03-24-2011, 06:03 AM
He can make a pocket-carry mag holder also so you don't have to do any modifications. I got one belt-clip type and one pocket-carry type from him. It works well and keeps the mag vertical in my front left pocket.

melissa5
03-30-2011, 03:59 PM
I received my cargo pocket double mag holder today. It looks like he mounted two singles onto a curved piece of kydex. Interesting! It's made of thick kydex and is a little heavier than I expected, but is perfectly suited to being carried in a cargo pocket. From the way that it's put together, I'm wondering if I can just unscrew one mag holder and carry it in a regular pocket if needed?

Edit: Yes, I can. The mag holders aren't glued to the curved piece of kydex. All I need are two nuts to keep a little tension on the holder when it has been unmounted. NICE!

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/3764/dscn1981v.jpg

Ressom
10-06-2011, 11:53 AM
I just received an IWB and an OWB mag holder for CM9 from Mitchell today. About a week turn-around. Nice quality product and unbeatable price. I'll try wearing tonight.

Thanks for the recommendation Wynn!

wyntrout
10-06-2011, 12:03 PM
He does good work and if you have something that he doesn't have a mold for, just send/lend him a magazine. I sent him a P380 and PM45 mag early on to get those into his repetoire or inventory. You can cut the clip off an extra one for a pocket mag-holder. I got enough that I have at least one IWB and OWB plus a pocket mag-holder for each caliber.
The Kahr .45's fit 1911 single-stack mags... adjustable, and the 9mm and .40 are interchangeable.

Bawanna
10-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Edit: Yes, I can. The mag holders aren't glued to the curved piece of kydex. "All I need are two nuts to keep a little tension on the holder when it has been unmounted. NICE!"

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/3764/dscn1981v.jpg[/QUOTE]

Well I'm available, if we can find one more nut your in business.

wyntrout
01-20-2012, 01:39 PM
I just received my additional Kydex magazine holders from Tactical Kydex. I will post/chat later, but here's a link to the photos. The titles of each photo offer some info. I need to run! Gotto get groceries at commissary and have fiddled away too much of the day... after a leisurely get up this AM!:rolleyes:

http://s1134.photobucket.com/albums/m620/wyntrout/20%20Jan%202012%20Tactical%20Kydex%20additions/

Wynn)

wyntrout
01-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Mitchell at Tactical Kydex does great work, charges a decent price, and is quick with service.

I gave him a large order on 10 January:

Two double-magazine holders for Springfield XD45 13-round magazines for 2-inch (two-inch) belt. OWB 2x$25 = $50

One double-magazine holder for Springfield XD45 13-round magazines for 1 ½” belt. OWB $25

Two double-magazine holders 1911 magazine holders for 1 ½” belt. OWB 2x$25 = $50

Two single-magazine holders for Kahr P380 magazines for 1 ½” belt. OWB $20

Two single-magazine holders for Kahr PM9 magazines for 1 ½” belt. OWB This is for my P40… same size as 9mm $20

Total not including extra Kydex, if available,………………………………………………………………………………………………………… ………………. $165

He included a thick piece of Kydex... about 4" by 12" for $10. I requested this to add a piece with 3M tape on the inside to keep the tops of the magazines from digging into my love handles. :)

I add some of Dr. Scholl's "Mole skin" to the inside of that to cushion the added flap against my skin.

Everything arrived today by USPS Priority Mail and I'm very satisfied. I can think of maybe a few more I need before too long... maybe a single mag-holder for the XD 13-round magazine... just thinking about that, though.

Pix at my Photobucket link:

http://s1134.photobucket.com/albums/m620/wyntrout/20%20Jan%202012%20Tactical%20Kydex%20additions/

And a few for here:

wyntrout
01-20-2012, 07:46 PM
And some more:

I have some 3-AAA-battery-powered "Tactical" flashlights by Techlite. The leftmost is the old one with 120 lumens as the highest power. The middle one is the newest with 150 lumens as the highest power, and the rightmost is my PowerTac Cadet with 300 lumens max power. It uses a single Lithium CR-123 for about 2 hours at maximum power.

There's my Gerber Fast Draw... assisted opening knife and the Frost Cutlery "Texas Tickler". I'm not sure whether I got the latter in Abilene back in the late 70's... or in San Antonio in the mid-90's, but I've had it a while.

The belt is Uncle Mike's(I think) 2" Velcro-adjustable and I'm reassembling it around the XD45 Tactical and moving the S&W that used to be associated with this rig to another defensive position. You just can't have too many large .45ACP-powered pistols for defense.:D The holster seems to work with everything, but I'm going to a gun show tomorrow and will see what else is available.

Anyhow, if you're in need of some inexpensive Kydex magazine holders, you might try Mitchell of Tactical Kydex at

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1122507

OldLincoln
01-21-2012, 12:17 PM
I've been trying to draw what I'm looking for in a mag holder, but doesn't work for me. Since I started tucking I've been looking for a IWB double 9 mag holder with a clip like my Silent Thunder. I don't need the cant adjustable but do need the tuckability and clip on. Picture this with a sturdy spacer in the middle and this clip (the black one) mounted so it's flush with the front of the mag holders.

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/OldLincoln/Misc/magholder2temp.jpg

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/OldLincoln/Misc/std_clips__61712_zoom.jpg