PDA

View Full Version : Hyrda Shok, Gold Dots, Ranger, or Golden Sabre

TheTman
12-17-2011, 08:32 PM
Those are my top four choices in Ammo for my CW45. Right now I'm using the Hydra Shoks, because they are said to mushroom at a lower velocity than some other brands of HP. I know many love the Gold Dots do you know if they mushroom at the the FPS generated out of a CW45? I like the Golden Sabre for reliability in chambering rounds, and the Ranger T series has always been a favorite, but not sure if it mushrooms at a lower velocity. These are brands that are readily available for a reasonable price at some of the LGS, except the Ranger that I pick up at gun shows.
What's your opinion on CW45 FPS and does it achieve the velocity needed for hp's to mushroom most bullets? I figure even if it doesn't mushroom, it still leaves a .45 inch hole in the BG. I was using Winchester PDX1 because that's what the Walmart down the road carried for premium ammo. It runs fine, I just had questions about it mushrooming from the Kahr after watching some videos. I did try a box of Ranger +P but they jammed my gun until I put in a new recoil spring.

WMD
12-18-2011, 05:26 AM
There was a test in a trade magazine a few months ago comparing SD ammo. I think Hornady Critical Defense was #1 and Golden Saber was #2. Problem is, I cannot remember what the test criteria was. :confused:

I will look for the article and repost if I can find it. I personally like Golden Saber. However, I have carried Gold Dot with confidence as well. I think any top name SD ammo will do the job, especially in a 45. I will look for that article!

TheTman
12-18-2011, 05:41 AM
Thanks WMD! I got the feeling even hardball will do the job, any of them are leaving a big arse hole in a BG.

Kansas53
12-18-2011, 12:32 PM
Some great info concerning SD ammo.

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

hotpig
12-18-2011, 12:35 PM
All of the listed rounds are good. I carry the RA9T in my CW9 so that I can capitalize on the 147 T- Series ammo in a short barrel.

I sell all of the rounds you have listed but my preference in the Kahr would be the RA45T first then Hydra Shocks. The Bonded bullets would be my preference in a larger gun but not my first choices in a shorter barrel.

hss.strat
12-24-2011, 10:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmQ7iWwazDk

Take from it what you will.

Skip to 3:30 to avoid the talking.

OldLincoln
12-25-2011, 11:54 AM
I looked at all I could find early on and settled on the Federal HST +P. HST = Hydra Shok Technology and is a little better than HydraShok in that it doesn't have the center post and fouls less penetrating fabric. Also It expands very consistently so I look at it as a 3/4" slug. I carry HST in both the 9mm and .45. Oh, the +P is just because I can. In fact I use standard pressure in Dad's Colt with the alloy frame because +P is hard on the frame. For the PM9 it's +P all the way.

sinac84
12-25-2011, 01:47 PM
I like pow'rball from Glaser.

hotpig
12-25-2011, 04:51 PM
HST is not related to Hydra-Shock. Actually its roots are more in the PMC Star Fire. Originally it was to be sold on the regular commercial market as a replacement to the Hi Shock under the name of Hi Shock Two.

After the Ranger T-Series hit the market Federal needed something to compete with it. They moved the HST from the regular market to the LE Restricted sales market.

Feeling left out Speer countered with their short barreled ammo.

OldLincoln
12-25-2011, 10:30 PM
I stand corrected for repeating something I read on the internet and took as fact.

hotpig
12-25-2011, 10:43 PM
I stand corrected for repeating something I read on the internet and took as fact.It is a very common misconception. It sounds logical.

Even guys at Federal that have not been there ten or twelve years do not know the origins. If I had not been selling Federal Tactical ammo for 15 years I would not have known it.

WMD
12-26-2011, 05:29 AM
There was a test in a trade magazine a few months ago comparing SD ammo. I think Hornady Critical Defense was #1 and Golden Saber was #2. Problem is, I cannot remember what the test criteria was. :confused:

I will look for the article and repost if I can find it. I personally like Golden Saber. However, I have carried Gold Dot with confidence as well. I think any top name SD ammo will do the job, especially in a 45. I will look for that article!

Looked all over for that article. I mentioned above. I must have tossed it. Sorry! :(

Longitude Zero
12-26-2011, 09:02 AM
HST is my departments current issue and I also carry it CCW in my CW45.

MO_Soldier
12-26-2011, 11:54 AM
HST is my departments current issue and I also carry it CCW in my CW45.

What are your department's resources?
Ie size/numbers, research capabilities, etc...

I really like seeing the HST LE expanded....it looks like it would just rip through a BG!!!

Have you seen its effects first hand, or know those who have?

hotpig
12-26-2011, 12:01 PM
Right now many people are claiming HST to be the best based on a combination of jello and back yard water jugs shoots. There has not been a lot of real world shootings with it yet. Of the real world shootings many have been limited to the 147gr 9mm.

For real world shoot data we just need to be patient, they will eventually happen.

Longitude Zero
12-26-2011, 03:14 PM
What are your department's resources?
Ie size/numbers, research capabilities, etc...

I really like seeing the HST LE expanded....it looks like it would just rip through a BG!!!

Have you seen its effects first hand, or know those who have?

1200 Sworn. Ammo replaced annually. We get government bulk order purchases that reduce the price to barely above cost.

When it comes to ammo usage we generally go thru at least 10,000 factory provided rounds for testing.

I have not personally seen one that has be recovered yet. Although ammo is provided officers are not mandated to use it. they may carry what they want to.

I witnessed several autopsies when the Winchester Talon was the projectile and the results were NASTY!!!

LaP
01-12-2012, 01:20 PM
I'm comfortable with any of those rounds mentioned and also the Hornady Flex tip rounds. Maybe it's their pricing, but I find the Gold Dots in my pistols and revolvers more than anything else.

Barth
01-12-2012, 04:45 PM
My Sig Sauer P220 is loaded with -
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/P220ammo_files/image022.jpghttp://picturearchive.gunauction.com/3984045408/9325727/44778b0528625a58395f5b954287c1e6.jpg

TheTman
01-12-2012, 05:14 PM
I was watching COPS on TV and they had a SWAT team storm a house where a guy was allegedly selling "nickel" bags of marijuana. One of the cops found a shotshell lableled for LEO use only. I thought he was going to crap his pants, he threw an on screen tantrum about "lowlifes" being able to purchase LEO ammo. My question, is do all cops think anyone but a cop is a lowlife, and shouldn't be able to purchase the best ammo available. Granted it was a "drug" bust, but they netted a very small amount of contraband, and the "criminal" cooperated fully with the police and seemed like a nice enough guy. Not to take his side or anything, he broke the law and paid the price, but I had to laugh at the cop having the hissy fit over ONE shotshell labeled for LEO use only. Geez, gimme a break. How much can you hotrod a shotgun shell? I'd never heard of shotgun ammo labeled for LEO use only, but I guess I don't go looking for it. #4 shot or larger works perfectly well for me.

Barth I tried some of those Rangers +P T series, but they caused FTF's in my CW45. I swapped out the recoil spring with a new one and it fixed that situation. I used the rest up testing them out. Will have to pick up a few more boxes at the next gun show.

Barth
01-12-2012, 05:28 PM
Barth I tried some of those Rangers +P T series, but they caused FTF's in my CW45. I swapped out the recoil spring with a new one and it fixed that situation. I used the rest up testing them out. Will have to pick up a few more boxes at the next gun show.

I have both +P and standard pressure Ranger Ts.
My old P220 is not rated +P, so I'm only using the hot stuff for SD.
The +P is rated at 990 fps! (I should be getting a true 1000+ fps with 5.47")
My P220, with the factory barrel, has never FTF on anything.
Including the notorious Speer 200 gr flying ashtrays.

With the Bar-Sto, Remington HPs occasionally FTF.

Winchester Rangers, Bonded or T-Series, have been some of the most reliable
brands of ammo for me in 357 Sig, 40 and 45.
I had been running Speer GDHPs.
But my G27, with a OEM G33/357 barrel, nose dives bad on them.

All my autos have been moved to Ranger T-Series.

Revolvers are currently running -
S&W 629-2 44 Mag GDHP 200 gr Short Barrel
S&W 640-1 357 Mag Winchester 125 gr PDX1 Bonded
S&W 342 ti 38 +P GDHP 135 gr Short Barrel

I really like the Speer Short Barrel in revolvers, sans the 357 mag.
GDHP at 990 fps is hardly a magnum.
I'm getting about 1100 fps with Golden Sabers.
And hopefully 1150 fps, for super sonic speed, with the Winchester PDX1s

HenryinFlorida
04-11-2012, 04:31 PM
I just ordered a couple of boxes of Speer Gold Dot HP for short barrel for my CW45. Their suposed to be designed to maintain velocity in short barrels. The Gold Dots are always at the top of the lists for defensive ammo.

Barth
04-12-2012, 07:39 AM
I just ordered a couple of boxes of Speer Gold Dot HP for short barrel for my CW45. Their suposed to be designed to maintain velocity in short barrels. The Gold Dots are always at the top of the lists for defensive ammo.

The Speer GDHP Short Barrel ammo performs well.
But does so, in part, by way of a very aggressive, large, deep HP.
From a revolver this means nothing.
Feeding though a auto loader,
much like their famous Speer 200 gr Flying Ashtray of old,
can be an issue with some guns.

My MK40 choked on the the 180 gr Short Barrel after a 200 round break in.
It may feed now I'm at 500+ rounds.
They are expensive and I never went back to check.
Speer GDHP 155 gr feed fine and have been chronoed at ~1150 fps from a 3.0" MK40.
Plus I can get regular Speer LE GDHP Duty 155 gr in boxes of 50.
So that's what I run in my gun.

Moral to this story is make sure your gun will reliably feed those
Big Mouth Bass HPs.

My favorite .45 round is the Winchester Ranger T 230 gr.
That's what's currently loaded in my SIG P220.
And my current EDC Glock 27 is loaded with
125 gr Sig 357 Ranger Ts as well.

Deano
04-12-2012, 10:55 AM
I've done much searching on the subject, and all rounds listed are reported to be good. In regards to the Hordady Critical Defense vs. Federal HST, everything I've seen reports better penetration from the Hornady and better expansion by the HST. Enough of a difference that I'm considering Hornady for the dead of winter for better thick clothing penetration, HST for warmer months where penetration is less of an issue, and maximum expansion is what you're after. I'll dig around and see if I can't find some of those reports.