CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new

Thread: New CW45 and flaw in rear frame insert???

Default New CW45 and flaw in rear frame insert???

Hello, I just bought a new CW45 and while field stripping it today to do the initial cleaning I noticed a bad spot in the rear metal frame insert. I can catch the area with my thumb nail, and it looks as if either the casting was bad or it is separating? Has anyone seen this before? I guess I should contact Kahr?

If it bothers you give Customer Service a call.

It maybe that they nickle plate that piece (as they do the barrels) and some of the plating is peeling (kind of looks like that in your photo)

That said, it's probably a non-factor as very little of the slide will travel over that spot (most of the slide's contact will be to the outside of that). My CW45 has machine marks and a shallow channel there, plus the expected marks from use:

Regards,
    Greg

BTW, welcome to the forums

Thank you for the reply and photos! I put in a call to Kahr, and they asked me to submit the pictures via e-mail. We'll see what they say. It just concerns me that the area in question could damage the actual slide, or break off from the frame itself.

45 Aficionado, have you heard back from kahr yet? I ask `cause when i was cleaning my cw45 yesterday, i noticed similar damage, i had just shot 150 rounds at the local indoor range,(round count now 303).
    I don`t think the damage is anything to worry about, but sure would like to hear that from kahr.

Default a pic.

it`s a little blurry;rear frame.jpg
    In memory of great-grammy; never understood a word she yelled in polish, but we all knew what she meant.

Another new member nitpicking? Guns are tools, not a perfect work of art.

I have seen this up close and I don't think this is nit picking the rear rail, it is coming apart piece by piece. Pieces are starting to just flake off, I believe this is a issue. If it was your gun and you saw a pieces gone every time it was fired wouldn't you be considered. This is a flaw in the process. We are here to help and not to say they are nit picking. I would like to hear from others about this issue with positive thoughts about this. I have over 1500 round thru my Kahr and don't see any ware like this. I think may be be this maybe a factory take back, that rail is molded in to the frame and I don't see any way this could be replaced or repaired. That photo doesn't show you how bad this is, we don't have a high end camera to show the detail but it looks bad to me. So some good help please
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Harrylee; 05-27-2013 at 05:57 AM.
    Rest in peace old sailor Mike
    In Memory of Mom: Standing 4'11" She would say come here so I can hit you as I looked down at her
    As my Olde buddy Jake said point at the belt buckle and muzzle rise will take care of the rest
    Live a little learn a lot

Let me try to explain. What i saw at first didn`t bother me much, but when viewed up close with a magnifying glass, i noticed a crack in it running from the outside edge to the front of the "gouge". I only wish i could afford a good camera to show you.
    Since this is my one and only kahr carry gun i don`t want to hear "crunch" instead of "bang".
    Ps: it is certainly not my intention to nitpick, a gun like any other machine will show wear with use, but i wouldn`t use a drill press with a broken part.
    In memory of great-grammy; never understood a word she yelled in polish, but we all knew what she meant.

id shoot it some more to see if it develops into something else.....like stated above, it could simply be some plating that is flaking off....
    I hate being bi-polar, its awsome!

JERRY, i took your advise and put another 150 rounds through it, I checked it after each 20 rounds and did not see any change, so i guess all is good.