Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tommy Gun ammo

fishinallday Guest

Default Tommy Gun ammo

I just bought a new Thompson 1927 and was wondering what the best type of ammo is to use. I've been told that reloads are no good so I'm looking for the best inexpensive ammo to use in my new rifle. I havent shot it yet but am really looking forward to it and I dont want to have any issues.

Considering the difficulty in finding ANY ammo right now, you gotta take whatever you can get. I would NOT use reloads ever. They simply are too risky. Cheap ammo also tends to be pretty dirty. I've had good luck with Federal American Eagle and Winchester White box. Both burn very clean in handguns, so they should be clean in the Tommygun. I have both the 1927 and the M1. And like you I haven't fired them yet. If ammo becomes less expensive and more available, I will get out to the range.

C-pher Guest

I reload and I've used my stuff in a tommy gun with no problems. Granted it was an orig...and it warped the **** out of my brass when it was done. So resizing has been a complete pain in the ass.

But if you make or know someone that you trust to make quality ammo...why not?

Quote Originally Posted by C-pher View Post
    I reload and I've used my stuff in a tommy gun with no problems. Granted it was an orig...and it warped the **** out of my brass when it was done. So resizing has been a complete pain in the ass.

But if you make or know someone that you trust to make quality ammo...why not?
    Why not? Because the new Auto Ord Tommyguns are nowhere near as durable as the old ones. Many more cast vs forged parts.
    And one hot load will mean sending it in for an expensive repair. After shelling out a grand for one of these, I prefer NOT to have it fly apart

+1 on the Federal American Eagle and Winchester White box. Can be had very inexpensively at your local Wal-Mart. I've always used the hardball ammo (FMJ 230 gr. roundnose) and have never had a problem.
    I also have used my own reloads, which I have complete confidence in.

stans4 Guest

Reloads WILL work, they just have to have hardball profile. Semi-wadcutters don't work, at least in the guns I have. They have to be loaded to mil-spec velocity, too. I shoot my own reloads, never anyone else's. You can get plated bullets, too, in FMJ profile but they tend to be softer than my cast ones and take damage on the way to the chamber in unmodified guns. You can shoot cheaper with reloads, but it's still relative. There's no nickel-a-pop .45 anymore. Feel lucky to get 40 cents a shot hardball. I use Unique, it seems to work better in the longer Thompson barrel. Plus I've got a keg of it. I cast bullets from wheelweights. they drop easily out of the hardball-profile mold that I've got.

Stan

Stan

Don't get me wrong. I didn't say reloads wouldn't work. I just choose not to risk them. The stuff at the gun shows was my worry. You have no way of knowing how careful a job the guy reloading it did. I've seen the results of double charged reloads. Scary stuff. The steel receiver of the Thompsons is pretty strong. But much of the rest of it is cast parts and not as strong as the old full auto guns.

I reload and use cast 230gr RN bullets. No problems here. I use a Dillon press and can load about 400 an hour. Loading one at a time with a single stage press would take me too long. I like Winchester 231 ball powder. My 2c.

I read it somewhere that Kahr said not to shoot any steel case ammo. I think it's because the cases are so hard that they wear/shave the feed ramp and make it rough. I think it would also be hard on the extractor. I allways keep an extra one handy when go shooting. My 2c
    Saunders

junglewalk Guest

Smile Confidence in your own...*

The rule on reloads is, 'only trust your own'.....Like you gentlemen above, I use my reloads with confidence in my own guns...> I have always done that with two previously owned 27a1s, and now a fa 1928a1 & Grease gun.
    I shoot my reloads of jacketed, hollow points, lead including semi-wad cutters, and had done that in the past when i owned my 27a1s....bh