Xssights   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P380 Ballistics Testing is Back

Default P380 Ballistics Testing is Back

I've been taking a break on my ammo testing while I tried to figure out a way to do a decent job at terminal ballistics testing with the resources I had available. I was lucky enough to secure time at a private range over the last two months and have been testing with my P380. If you have one, you will probably be interested. I post everything to my blog so it's easier for me to share across multiple boards. Don't be overly concerned about clicking through on the links and videos as they are all Safe for Work Place or Home.

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2...-380-ammo.html

and

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2...ics-tests.html

The second link actually includes 2 Remington loads from the P380 in addition to the DB9 testing.

Enjoy!

Very nice report. Thanks for posting these results. Plenty of people carry gold dot 380 rounds. Maybe not such a good idea in the dead of winter, eh. I frequently wear the equivalent of four layers of denim when it gets cold out.

Thanks for the post, Ljutic. Great work!

I carry the Buffalo Bore 90-grain +P Gold Dots in my P380. I have the BB FMJ FN for Winter wear penetration, though there's not much call for that here in Florida.

I have the Ranger T's as well and they are pretty mild after the BB, but seem capable.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Excellent post! Well done and well document results. Appreciated your comments. I really do enjoy and get a lot of useful information from ballistic reports such as yours. To bad that sim-gel couldn't be somewhat transparent like the FBI stuff.

I've been carrying a .380 (Kel-Tec P3AT) for many years and for winter carry would switch from hollow points to flat nose hard cast bullets. This past winter, which ended today as I think of it, I carried with Hornady CD. From my research if someone didn't want to change rounds, due to colder weather and heavier clothing, Hornady CD would make a decent all year round choice.

Thanks again...
    "I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sure wish that Cor Bon DPX would have been in the mix....
    But still good information here.

Quote Originally Posted by wyntrout View Post
    Thanks for the post, Ljutic. Great work!

I carry the Buffalo Bore 90-grain +P Gold Dots in my P380. I have the BB FMJ FN for Winter wear penetration, though there's not much call for that here in Florida.

I have the Ranger T's as well and they are pretty mild after the BB, but seem capable.

Wynn
    I've got some DoubleTap FMJ and HPs that I want to test as I've found they are faster than most, but slower than the BB +P stuff. It is "standard" pressure so it's a nice compromise for those not wanting to risk the wear and tear of the BB stuff. Having shot some BB, it's some heady stuff and not really something I'd want to run 50 of for practice.

More tests coming. With plans to increase the block size and do some penetration tests between flat nose and round nose FMJ loads.

Quote Originally Posted by cesande View Post
    Sure wish that Cor Bon DPX would have been in the mix....
    But still good information here.
    Like the old Carpenter's song said, "We've only just begun".

The last two outings were just to get my feet wet and learn more about using the SIM-TEST media. My plan is to work my way through all the available 380 HPs. Being self funded, I've got to pace myself and pick up ammo when it's on sale or at least spread the shipping cost with other stuff I may be picking up at Midway or Ammo to Go.

I've got at least a dozen other 380s on hand waiting for me to test. I'm sure I'll get to the DPX eventually. Maybe a shoot off with all the copper HPs in the market right now, but $68 for a box of the DoubleTap copper HPs just turns me off doing that test.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
    To bad that sim-gel couldn't be somewhat transparent like the FBI stuff.
    That's the trade off with using the SIM-TEST. You trade transparency for reusability, temperature insensitivity (within reason), and overall lower cost over time. The buy in isn't cheap as my first order of 60lbs. of SIM-TEST was $275 but I should be able to use it again and again.

Also, the Hornady CD is on my list to test. I actually have some on hand. I find it runs slower than most so I'm really interested to see how the 380 expansion compares to the 9mm expansion I captured a couple weeks ago.

Thanks for the positive comments everyone. I appreciate the feedback.

Spent more time on the blogs...
    Just wanted to give more praise for your work.
    I really do appreciate your work, it really validates that the 380 has come a long way!