Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good cheap .22lr Ammo?

Default Good cheap .22lr Ammo?

I was reading an old article by some guy who did some extensive .22lr testing and his conclusion found your higher end .22lr ammo such as Lupua and Eley towards the top as one would suspect, but mentioned Federal Classic 3AR117 as a best buy at $2.50/100. Tried looking it up and cannot find it anywhere...must be discontinued .22?

What are some of your recommendations for real good .22lr at a bargain? It will be used in a Ruger Mark III.

TIA and Merry Christmas to all!!!!!

I'll be watching this one too since I've decided to really stock up on 22 myself.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Federal bulk (sometimes called: Walmart Target ammo on the firing line) or Winchester as a 2nd choice.
    NEVER Remington (yelow jacket) crap.

My auto prefer Fed and revolvers Win

Tilos

If your gun likes it it's good ammo. I've had success with all of it.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Winchester 555 from Walmart has always served me well. Ran thousands of rounds through the 22lr Browning buckmark pistol I once owned.

Just ordered 8 boxes of the Federal bulk at Cabela's for local pick up! It's on sale for $79.99/2100, but if you spend over $150 you get $20 off! Plus each 2100 round order comes with a free drybox! So my total after (taxes because I'm doing local pick-up) was $150/4200 .035 per round. Not too shabby I thought with a couple dryboxes to boot!

FWIW (in case you don't have a Cabela's for local pick pick up) East Coast Gun Sales has the best price right now I could find at $15.95/525.

But for me after shipping is figured in it was a wash with my Cabela's purchase......plus the 2 free dryboxes made this an easy buy.

That Federal stuff is pretty good for plinking. I used to use only CCI mini-mag, but I switched to the Federal since it is half the price.

4200 rounds! You should be set for a while. Your Ruger should eat them up. Mine hasn't had a failure with them.
    Ressom
    Glock 17 | Ruger Mark II Competition Target | Kimber Custom Eclipse II | Kel-Tec PF-9 | Kahr CM9

Blazer - my Marlin 60 and Ruger MK love em.

Default Good cheap .22lr Ammo?

I have to cast my for for the Federal bulk ammo. My Ruger auto pistol will shoot it all day long without any problems.
    NRA Life Member

well my ruger mkIIIs (1 basic target model, 1 hunter) both love the remington goldies ... but to be honest only shot the federal out of my target model (too many 'duds'.. id even reload them into the gun again and nothing...), just got the hunter this past december, but it hasn't failed to fire but 1 goldie... same with a new 10/22 im working on

My guns love it, but i will admit i have experienced a couple cracked casings and had 1 rim blow out when shooting my p22, blew the slide lock spring out too .. and they aren't always the most consistent, but they are the cheapest

i really like shooting the winchester xperts but around here at wally world they are a bit more expensive

and yes its a good day so i figured the faces worked