Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good cheap .22lr Ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by n2brk View Post
    Blazer - my Marlin 60 and Ruger MK love em.
    +1 the Blazer seems to be the most accurate after mini mags in my Marlin 60.
    WM federal bulk comes in 3rd...FWIW
    If a sign could stop evil….They’d make holsters for them!!

Good or cheap? Pick one and/or define each.

I like CCI Stingers

I use either Federal red & black boxed. Or Remington Golden Bullets out of necessity.

I sometimes shoot rimfire in steel plate matches out of Spikes dedicated uppers or 1911 .22 conversions. I found the Fed. stuff to be cheap and 100% reliable. If I can hit 8" steel plate out at 50Yds. off hand , that's accuracy enough for me.

The Fed. G.B. are necessary as the only cheap ammo that works out of the wife's Advantage Arms .22 conversion for her Glock 17. That's because it's the only one that generates enough pressures to cycle the slide. Until I modified the fire system to make heavier hits there were lots of misfires. Now I get one in about every 100 rnds. That's not because of the unit, but the ammo because now the hits are deep.

If I shoot the Rem. G.B. out of my totally reliable competition guns I would have some misfires.
    So unless you have a A.A conversion unit, after many thousands of trouble free fired rnds. I'd recommend the Fed. bulk pak for cheap .22 ammo.

I generally stock up on Federal bulk. The 525 packs seen here seem to be the most consistent in all of my guns, though my Mosquito is a picky little bugger.

I have recently bought a few thousand rounds of this Federal bulk, though I have not had a chance to use any, still working on some of those 525 packs.

I wont use the Remington bulk, as it is the only round I have found that has had consistent FTF's in my P22, .22 AR, and my 10/22's. Never tried it in any Ruger pistols.

The Mosquito prefers Mini-Mags, and at 7c per round, I cant complain too much. I need to order some more of it, though.

Blazers work OK, but the Mosquito hated them too.

I have a 1000rd brick of the Win M22, but have not shot any yet.

Soooooo - Federal Champion seems to be my "works with everything, and acceptable in the Mosquito" ammo.

I just got my last order of .22LR's in from Cabela's... 4,200 rounds and two dry boxes with $2 shipping...
    Products Ordered
    2 of 21-6951 FEDERAL CHAMPION 22LR PER 2100 W/DRY BOX
    Shipped-03/22/12
    Total
    Merchandise = $159.98
    Postage = $2.00
    ORDER TOTAL = $161.98
    That comes out to 3.86˘ per round, not counting whatever value you perceive for the two dry boxes.

My scope and some other stuff should come in tomorrow and I hope to test all of this within a few days with my Ruger 10/22-RPB... Wal-Mart model All-Weather Carbine. Gun, ammo and accessories exceed $1k and I told my wife.

I'll have to take ballistics into consideration when trying to set up my scope for 50 yards or whatever, while shooting at 15 yards at the range.

Her "bug-out-from-work-and-disabled-car folding bike should be on the way soon...eBay purchase.

Wynn
    Attached Images Attached Images
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".