Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New T9 - first impressions

Default New T9 - first impressions

Hi everyone - recently purchased a Kahr T9 (serial PA119x) and wanted to share my experience so far. In short - my T9 has been great, worth every penny. Frankly, it's close to perfect for what I wanted in a 9mm pistol.

I highly recommend this gun for the shooting pleasure, the std sights, the trigger = flawless, the overall design and originality as it's a full size 9mm full size perfect for carry and range pistol or nightstand (whatever you like) firearm.

I had owned a Browning High-power (love that gun) in the late 90's...but sold it when I moved to MA. (stupid..I know) But..I recently moved to VA so...I was in the market for a new 9mm. Went to a show to check out the guns I had in mind. I can't do glock because of the grip - skip. I reviewed an S&W MP...but did not like the scratchy trigger. The S&W SD was ok. (I could not find the MP Pro..which I know is a better trigger.) I tried the Rugger SR9 and FNP9...but...it felt like a toy to me. The H&K were nice but...like the CZ Phantom...just too much gun really. I almost went back to steel to a CZ75b but...thought I should do the light poly frame cuz it's all the rage and...they are a bit more comfortable in general. After chatting with my sister who's been shooting for years...she said "kahr" but... I ended up getting a new XDm 4.5 Bi-tone at a great price.

The XDm was a good gun, no issues really. Shot well....trigger was nice. But...I didn't like the grip and...the slide and over all shape just felt too thick. I never really liked the look of the thing anyway, I would never consider it for CC and after 3 times at the range...it was not the gun for me. So.. having heard about Kahrs from my sister...I went to a shop to hold a K9. And...it felt great, looked great. And the trigger! Fantastic. But..I wanted a 4 inch barrel -I wasn't going to drop $950 on another Browning but...the Kahr trigger was just as good if not better. The K9 grip was a little thin so...I figured the T9 - all steel and with wood grips - would fit perfect and with the right ammo, would be fine for home defense. So...I ordered one. (more on that later)

With the help of Kahrtalk - I did my prep work per the exact directions on the tech forum, reviewed the lube chart, etc. Went to the range - 3 trips - 250 rounds break-in, another 250 rounds and another 200 rounds...(I shot, 124gr Fed Eagle, 115 Federal P, WWB, and 115 Georgia Arms) no issues at all...just great fun. The gun is perfect. Well....nothing is perfect, there is one issue, but it's no big deal.... more on that in a min) Bottom line...I have read about "issues" as there seems to be a lot talk around here about "issues" with x, y or z. I mean...on this T9 sub forum the top thread was "malfunctioning t9 update" for weeks and so..I was a little skeptical. But...guns are guns and some have issues. It;s no different on this site as it is on glock or xdm.talk....they have issues as well. And...I know there many, many, many more people out there have excellent Kahr experiences but.."what if I get a lemon" was way in the back of my optimistic mind. Anyway...no worries ...this T9 is a great gun - and a great gun for my hands. Single...Double and triple taps...with some pretty good accuracy for me at 20 yards....no problem! Love this gun.

Before I ordered the gun..I called Kahr regional sales rep to see if he could tell me which Distributors had the most t9's. I asked him because a local gun dealer who had a new kahr pm9 in his case and as rentals...said he could not find one. Really? Lame - he was lazy, lost a sale. So..I called the rep myself and got to the point...which distributors? He was really nice guy. I probed him on the "quality" discussion, told him I've been reading the forums etc...and...he was confident. He stated that he was certain I;d get a great gun. He was also reasonable stating Kahrs are tight guns...like kimbers and sometimes there are spec issue with the components. Check the ammo your using to make sure it can work and feed well based on their specs. Finally, if there was an "issue" ...he said Kahr would stand by it. Anyway...no issues to date and I'm sure Kahr would help me if ever needed.

About Kahr and that one little issue? We'll, I was using my speed loader and smashed in the front of the plastic magazine follower...the section ( just below the little metal dot). I had already ordered 4 extra mags so...no worries. But...then...I realized 2 other mags had broken as well? Was it me? I don't know so...I ordered 3 replacement followers (they shipped the next day from Kahr) and I promise to be a bit more careful. But...I wish the mag followers were alloy or something other than plastic/poly...or whatever it is! That is my only feedback!

If anyone asks me about a Kahr..I'd say get one because of the trigger, then the fit..and finally, yes...the finish. It's a fine gun. Proof that the design is great - look at Kimbers new Solo Carry...is it me or does anyone else think it a Kahr copy?

Next up...a 1911 with a 4.25 barrel -perhaps a Kimber or a reasonably priced Magnum 1911c? But..I'm seriously thinking the poly TP45 because the Kahr is an amazing design with a great DAO trigger! For the record.. I'd buy Kahr T45 in a heartbeat!

Finally, quick thanks to all that contribute to this site - the info is invaluable. I'll try to contribute in the future but most are served best by the Kahrtalk veterans already.
    Cheers and a happy new year to all
    Clark

Welcome Clark! Very interesting report. I'm sure your contributions here will be valued and welcomed.
    Very interesting...

Welcome to the forum. There is a gun show in Fredericksburg this coming weekend. If you're in an area of NOVA near enough to attend, it is usually a pretty good show. I have had luck getting Kahr mags there for good prices.

I enjoy the T9, it's a great gun. For some reason I've latched onto it's polymer brother, the TP9, as my favorite Kahr though.

...my speed loader and smashed in the front of the plastic magazine follower...
    Did that occur with a LULA loader?

Enjoy your new T9 and the forum.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Default yes..twas the LULA loader

Thx for the heads up on the show..I may be able to get down there (and see if I can check out a TP45) on Sunday if the show is on sunday as well - but I have some honey-do's this weekend. It wil have to be a game time decision. ;-)

Yes, I'm pretty sure I jammed the LULA loader in to quick against the front of the loader. Bummer...but lesson learned.
    c

Quote Originally Posted by csman22 View Post

I had owned a Browning High-power (love that gun) in the late 90's...but sold it when I moved to MA. (stupid..I know) But..I recently moved to VA so...I was in the market for a new 9mm. Went to a show to check out the guns I had in mind. I can't do glock because of the grip - skip. I reviewed an S&W MP...but did not like the scratchy trigger. The S&W SD was ok. (I could not find the MP Pro..which I know is a better trigger.) I tried the Rugger SR9 and FNP9...but...it felt like a toy to me. The H&K were nice but...like the CZ Phantom...just too much gun really. I almost went back to steel to a CZ75b but...thought I should do the light poly frame cuz it's all the rage and...they are a bit more comfortable in general. After chatting with my sister who's been shooting for years...she said "kahr" but... I ended up getting a new XDm 4.5 Bi-tone at a great price.

Next up...a 1911 with a 4.25 barrel -perhaps a Kimber or a reasonably priced Magnum 1911c? But..I'm seriously thinking the poly TP45 because the Kahr is an amazing design with a great DAO trigger! For the record.. I'd buy Kahr T45 in a heartbeat!

Clark
    Welcome to the forum. My first pistol 45 years ago was a HP. I carried it six years in the service, and it's still packed away somewhere. I bought another in the early eighties, but gave it to my son last year. They are fine pistols, but today, I wouldn't carry a 9mm that large.

I have the same problem with Glocks, but have had a couple of M&P's and an XD. They're reliable, but don't really do a lot for me. I traded the XD for a Kimber and just this week traded an M&P 40 for a CW45. My favorites and the bulk of my collection are HKs, SIGs, 3rd gen S&W's and of course, Kahrs, mostly in 45.

For that 4.25 inch 1911, take a look at the SIG C3. I've had two, [one was stolen, so I bought another] and they have been 100% and just about my favorite shooters. I still have the Kimber, but had a few problems with it initially, all related to the standard mag. The C3 is cheaper, comes with two good mags, and mine both had/have night sights.

Default thank you for the lead on...

yes, HP re great but..I agree, they can't really double as a ccw today. And...thank you for the lead on the SIG C3 - I had not considered it but certainly will now - Thank you for the lead!
    Cheers

I've recently become a huge fan of the T series Kahrs. I Own a 9mm and a 40 S&W and they are a joy to shoot. Most accurate guns I can shoot that I have tried.

Love my T9

It has functioned properly with every type ammo I have tried.

I have tried 90 grain through 124 grain rounds both standard and +P. Never been a fan of the 147 grain in 9mm so have not tried it.

It is far more accurate than I can shoot.

csman22, I think you made a wise choice that you will not regret with the T9.

FLBri, do you personally prefer one of your T models over the other? I guess maybe I should ask if you prefer shooting one over the other. I know all cost to shoot, 9mm vs .40, stopping power arguments and I'm not looking for that. I was just wondering if maybe you like the lighter recoil of the T9 or the extra bark of the T40, or maybe you find you hit better with one of the guns.

You are the only person I've came across with both guns. I would love to shoot a T9 to see the difference. I've never shot at real range where you can rent guns and stuff but I would rent one to see how it is compared to my T40. My shooting is just in gravel pits, hill sides, wood piles with back stops and such. Of course I can shoot my friends guns, but none of them have a T9.

Default thanks

FLBri - I agree. I think it's the the smooth Kahr trigger, and not the fact that it's all steel and built "tight", that allows me me to focus on the target. The steel frame helps me overall...I'm certain. All I know is that I like it better than the xdm 4.5 I had - without question.

Also, as Tank has asked, any feedback on the difference in feel of the t9 vs the t40 would be helpful. I know I want another Kahr and at this point I'm thinking TP45 but..possibly a T40. I fear that I will not prefer the hard snap recoil of the .40 cal vs the .45. Granted...my only reference is shooting a .40 Glock...and an Hi-power... years ago...but I have a feeling I'll prefer the recoil of a .45 over .40. And..because I would like to get a 1911 at some point..I'm thinking TP45 now so I'll only have to but 9mm and .45 ammo in the future. Basically. I'm thinking - skip the .40 and go .45 as many have done. What say you?

Tank - you said.."My shooting is just in gravel pits, hill sides, wood piles with back stops and such." That sounds great! I live in the burbs and wish I could do that! Lucky you!

Chuck..thx for the comment. I happen to think 124gr is feels and shoots great (and worth the small price difference) over 115 however I'll try higher grain in the near future. I wonder if the extra cost of the higher grain will be of value relative to how I can shoot it. something tell me the 124 gr will be best overall.
    Cheers