Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: considering a j frame for ccw

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
    I had one and sold it. Many failure to fires and ZERO customer service. They don'tanswer phone or e-mail. I finally did get a holdof them and they just whined that they only had staff of 20 and were overwhelmed. Great gun when it worked, no recoil and accurate.
    Many failures to fire in a centerfire revolver? Whoah.

Coupled with poor customer service, small company, and overwhelmed (presumably because of all of the issues with their guns)?

OK, that's good enough for me. 'nuff said. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    I keep my Model 38 Airweight in the bedside table:

And still love to shoot the first Ruger I bought new in 1960...

Wow, that's an old 3 screw too. Did you send it in for the transfer bar conversion or is it still unmessed with?
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Happy with my Ruger SP101 in .38 3" bbl... lots of shots thru that, smooth as glass.
    Bigger than a J frame tho... but not really much.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I got both cylinders with mine too. The magnum 22 is fun to play with sometimes.
    I bought mine right about that same time at a Ernst hardware store, you get yours there too?
    I love Ruger revolvers and have several also. Never did click too go with their autos but they work well. Many swear by them, just didn't gel with me.
    Bought mine in a gun store in Sacramento, where I was living at the time. Also bought a .357 Blackhawk from them right about the same time. My first new, personal, handguns. Still have and treasure both. I also still have the Hunter gun leather I bought along with them...although the drop loop cartridge belt doesn't exactly fit me well (at all) anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by CJB View Post
    Happy with my Ruger SP101 in .38 3" bbl... lots of shots thru that, smooth as glass.
    Bigger than a J frame tho... but not really much.
    Old Colt "Detective Special" size. Fits in the same, my old, Colt snub holsters.

Everyone:

I had no idea a J Frame question would take us all down memory lane.

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I hate to bad mouth any gun and with all the glowing reviews I've read about the LCR I figure there has to be something wrong with me. I rented one to try out with my son who was convinced he wanted one real bad.

I was happy to give it back, it blasted me in the face every shot, felt like my trigger finger was smacked with a ball peen hammer every shot and I couldn't hit anything consistently even at 4 or 5 yards. I intend to try it again as I figure I must have just gotten a really bad one to rent.

I've had no such issues with any of the multitude of J frame options and get along with them fine. For myself I'd stick with 38's and while I always used to prefer to get a 357 for both options I think I'd get a 38 since I would doubtful ever shoot 357 through it. +P 38's would be far as I'd ever go in that small package.

I still have my first new store bought Ruger Single Six as well. Still going strong and looking fine after over 40+ years too.
    I've read the Ruger trigger is superior to the comparable Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerMan View Post
    I've read the Ruger trigger is superior to the comparable Smith.
    I read that too and was anxious to shoot it. It may have been a bad one. It was painful, major trigger slap and rough and hard too.

From all I've read I suspect I should withhold judgement until I sample another one. Only sharing my 1 box experience. Fact is I only shot 10 and didn't want to shoot it anymore. My son really wanted to love it and suffered through the other 40.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

What can I expect from a trigger job on a J frame? The last one I fondled had a 12-14 # pull...and, of course, it was a long pull. Typical cost of a trigger job? Thanks

I did a little work on my 640. Trigger jobs on a J frame are very tricky. Light springs produce light primer strikes. Polishing helps, but the heavy trigger is what it is. If you do one, get a great smith and make sure it has a long firing pin installed in it. I pulled out the light weight springs and opted for 100% reliability. I figured in a needed situation one or two pounds of trigger pull weight would not make a difference. I did not want to hear a "click".