Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Proper Prep of your new 1911G

Default Proper Prep of your new 1911G

On friday the day I received word of Dietrichs passing I also finally at long last received word that my MRI Desert Eagle 1911G had just arrived. Twenty minutes later it was in hand. I was on cloud nine for a couple hours until I got home and got Helen's message.

Today while thinking of him of course I took it out and thought I'd share the proper protocol.

Step by step.
    1. Open box
    2. Remove gun and magazine
    3. Load magazine
    4. Put magazine in gun
    5. Shoot it like ya stole it.

I went over board, took it apart, made sure most of the important stuff was inside, recoil spring, barrel, etc. Even applied a line of TW25 on the rails, racked the slide 5 or 6 times and headed to the range.

First 3 mags at 10 yards.

Second two groups at Twenty Five, that's right 25 yards. I never shoot 25 yards cause I'm usually ashamed. I got a little sloppy but had another group in the head that I didn't get a picture of that was worth bragging about.

Shot about 200 rounds of factory and my handloads. Not a failure or balk of any kind. Amazing accuracy for a fair to middling shooter like me.

I have 3 guns that I purchased specifically to wear to important people in my lifes funerals. My dad, an officer, an officers son, and now this will be number 4. It shall be named Dietrich and added to the special group. Seems fitting and as good as this thing runs I think ole Deit blessed it or something.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

That's a fine pistol and some fine shooting Bawanna.
    The photography is also top notch
    The tribute is touching.
    I hope you always enjoy your new pistol with fond memories of your friend.
    May the New Year be an excellent one for you.
    Regards,
    Greg

A fine pistol, and a touching remembrance. Maybe you could get a dedication to Dietrich engraved on it.
    Very interesting...

Nice pistol snd good shooting.

We miss you Deit.

Quote Originally Posted by JFootin View Post
    A fine pistol, and a touching remembrance. Maybe you could get a dedication to Dietrich engraved on it.
    I was thinking of some sort of remembrance on some grips. I know a guy that can make some. But I like the engraving idea a lot. I might have to look into that. I don't know anyone that does that but I'll look.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Some things in life seem to have a purpose beyond the obvious. Your Dietrich gun, my Dad's gun, and others likewise. It's a good thing to remember those we care about.

Shiny: I always wanted to call Dietrich "Dieter" but held back from concern he may have thought it disrespectful and not the way intended. Oh well, RIP Dieter!
    •"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." - O. L.
    • "America's not at war; her military is. America's at the mall."

Today I was tempted to go play with the 1911G "Dietrich" again but stayed home and cleaned and got intimate with it. I thought I'd try a new look and put some zebra wood I had laying around on it My son, usually difficult to impress said I should share so I guess he was impressed.

I did have one bushing come out and of course I bawanna'd it but I had a new set so easily and quickly replaced.

I also took out the thumb safety as I like a very positive click on, click off and it was a little too easy. Usually deepening the detent solves this but the detent looked good. I had another new safety plunger tube spring and noted it was about 1/8" longer. I installed that and it's now perfect. Very positive and just right.

I just love this thing and can't say enough good about it.

I read they came with ACT? mags which are reportedly very good but this one came with Mec Gar and they are very nice. Feel as good as a Wilson, follower not as nice looking but they work perfectly.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Bawanna--Just saw your post on your new 1911G. Sorry it took so long for you to get yours, and very sorry about the timing relative to Dietrich, but, I told you it was a tack driver! I shoot mine every time I go to the range after shooting my IDPA guns and drills. Then I head for the silhouette range and shoot pigs at 50 meters, turkeys at 70 and rams at a 100 with the 1911G. The gun is phenomenally accurate and is 100% reliable. I can't imagine having one shoot any better, but what do I know. I'm glad yours is good too. I don't know anyone who has one who isn't very happy with it.

Joe
    Kahr CM9 9mm, Kahr PM40 40cal, SIG x-Five All Round 9, SIG P226 9, 40, and 357Sig barrels/slides, SIG P239-9mm, Desert Eagle 1911G, CZ75B Da/SA converted to SAO and Kadet 22 slide

Quote Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
    Bawanna--Just saw your post on your new 1911G. Sorry it took so long for you to get yours, and very sorry about the timing relative to Dietrich, but, I told you it was a tack driver! I shoot mine every time I go to the range after shooting my IDPA guns and drills. Then I head for the silhouette range and shoot pigs at 50 meters, turkeys at 70 and rams at a 100 with the 1911G. The gun is phenomenally accurate and is 100% reliable. I can't imagine having one shoot any better, but what do I know. I'm glad yours is good too. I don't know anyone who has one who isn't very happy with it.

Joe
    Joe, (darn that's a nice name). I'm still in love with mine. I had planned to take it out again today but my activity coordinator decided we should go the opposite direction for a sportsman show. I love to fish but I don't enjoy looking at fishing stuff.
    We did manage to find a booth that had a Smith 638. I been wanting to have the wife hold one. She seemed pleased so I told the guy I'd take it.
    Turns out all they could do was the paperwork and I'd have to pick it up even further from home so I passed. Boy did I get off track here.

Anyhow my 1911G is a keeper. I still don't have the memorial grips done yet and I've cooled bit on the engraving but may revisit that if I find just the right thing.

I'm gonna go out to my man cave and hold it for awhile.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

why didnt you buy complete gun. somebody stole safety off right side. makes it inoperable