Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First DIY Attempt

Default My First DIY Attempt

Ok, So I got a CT Laser as a gift but my Crossbreed doesn't fit it. I'm broke but I want to use the laser, which led me to DYI. As soon as I get the chance I'm getting a Silent Thunder IWB, but I figured a homemade Pocket holster would suffice for now. Here are my results after some trial and error for the last 3 days:

Materials;
    1 - Swatch of soft leather(I couldn't find any stiff leather) - $8.00
    Suture from the operating room that I obtained after sterilization was lost - Free

I started out with the wedge nearest my grip still being there, but it interfered with my grip as I unholstered, so I cut it off.

You can't tell, but the outline is reinforced with pieces of a thick leather dress belt that had a broken buckle. Before that it was just limp soft leather and wadded up in my pocket.

The piece of leather is folded in half around the pistol with the smooth side in, rough side out. Then I stitched those together. I drew an outline for my pistol and stitched along there as well to keep the holster tight around my gun.

Take a look and add any comments/ideas/criticisms as you wish!

As always, thanks for looking guys
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kahr PM9094 - Hornady Critical Defense

Marlin 30-30
    Mossberg 500A 12 GA
    Marlin .22LR

I don't do pocket carry but it sure looks like it would work to me. I'm certainly on board when you add something you want to use but need to make due with what you can get so you can start using it yesterday. Patience definitely ain't my strong suit.
    I'd say you done good.
    I'm a little concerned about non sterile sutures but since I figure a suture is kind of like thread probably be ok. Just don't put it in your mouth maybe?
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Looks pretty good to me and like it might work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I'm a little concerned about non sterile sutures but since I figure a suture is kind of like thread probably be ok. Just don't put it in your mouth maybe?
    Well Non-sterile doesn't mean not clean. Sterile is clean on steroids. It has no living organisms at all, that why you can put sterile things in the bodies of people and not get infections and rejections, etc.

They were clean and unused. Nylon and Silk sutures. I work in surgery, and just to "learn" you all that may not know: Before the case we open all the sterile supplies. If one falls off the sterile field, often times we can just keep it because as far as they're concerned it's trash, and that's the only other place that it ends up. Also, I get supplies like that when a case is opened and cancels. That's the mother load because you get the whole case-worth of supplies that work well around the house and stuff. Things like buckets and towels and stuff. The only other time is if someone contaminates the sterility of the field, and we have to trash it and start over.

I only keep clean things though

Marlin 30-30
    Mossberg 500A 12 GA
    Marlin .22LR

Quote Originally Posted by yqtszhj View Post
    Looks pretty good to me and like it might work.
    Thank you. I think I just got lucky though haha. I think it will work for my needs. I was wanting a pocket holster anyway, just to add flexibility to my bag of tricks.

I want one of those slick little sleeve shooters that you see in the movies. I need a little Derringer to put in it and I'll be set!

Marlin 30-30
    Mossberg 500A 12 GA
    Marlin .22LR

Quote Originally Posted by MO_Soldier View Post
    Well Non-sterile doesn't mean not clean. Sterile is clean on steroids. It has no living organisms at all, that why you can put sterile things in the bodies of people and not get infections and rejections, etc.

They were clean and unused. Nylon and Silk sutures. I work in surgery, and just to "learn" you all that may not know: Before the case we open all the sterile supplies. If one falls off the sterile field, often times we can just keep it because as far as they're concerned it's trash, and that's the only other place that it ends up. Also, I get supplies like that when a case is opened and cancels. That's the mother load because you get the whole case-worth of supplies that work well around the house and stuff. Things like buckets and towels and stuff. The only other time is if someone contaminates the sterility of the field, and we have to trash it and start over.

I only keep clean things though
    I was semi funnin ya bout the sterile. I bet you get some handy stuff. Little tools and scapels. I try to get gauze pads and picks when I rarely visit the dentist. The gauze works great for gun patches. Little harder to get him to hand over the picks. I think they probably resterilize that stuff and use it on the next sufferer.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I was semi funnin ya bout the sterile. I bet you get some handy stuff. Little tools and scapels. I try to get gauze pads and picks when I rarely visit the dentist. The gauze works great for gun patches. Little harder to get him to hand over the picks. I think they probably resterilize that stuff and use it on the next sufferer.
    Oh I didn't catch the funnin, but I do now. Sometimes I'm a bit too thick for my own good(both in the head and around the gut)!

Yes I do get handy stuff. Scalpels work well for odd things a normal person wouldn't think of. I have my own suture kit sterilized in case anyone in my company gets hurt badly in the middle of nowhere.

Picks they resterilize, you're exactly right, but I'll see what I can do for you there.
    Gauze, I can definitely hook you up!

Keep in mind, I don't steal things, nor do I bring dirty things. I'm a bit of a germaphobe lol. Instruments become too dull or pitted to be resterilized after time. I have many good scissors and stuff because of that. Just because they don't meet the high standards of surgery, doesn't mean they can't be used at home or cleaning a gun!

Marlin 30-30
    Mossberg 500A 12 GA
    Marlin .22LR

Quote Originally Posted by MO_Soldier View Post
    Oh I didn't catch the funnin, but I do now. Sometimes I'm a bit too thick for my own good(both in the head and around the gut)!

Yes I do get handy stuff. Scalpels work well for odd things a normal person wouldn't think of. I have my own suture kit sterilized in case anyone in my company gets hurt badly in the middle of nowhere.

Picks they resterilize, you're exactly right, but I'll see what I can do for you there.
    Gauze, I can definitely hook you up!

Keep in mind, I don't steal things, nor do I bring dirty things. I'm a bit of a germaphobe lol. Instruments become too dull or pitted to be resterilized after time. I have many good scissors and stuff because of that. Just because they don't meet the high standards of surgery, doesn't mean they can't be used at home or cleaning a gun!
    Exactly. Surgery has to be a much higher plane. Nothing but the goodest bestest stuff. Enough bad stuff can happen without using a dull knife.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

You know I'm a dentist don't you Mr Bawanna? I'll keep an eye out for stuff we are about to throw away if you like that sort of thing. I'll send you a photo when I get a couple things so you can see if they would be helpful

I think your holster looks serviceable the only thing I would suggest is angling the leather from front strap of grip to rear sight rather than straight across. Not that yours won't work just that it would add a little more coverage in your pocket from dirt, lint, keys, whatever else accidentally ends up in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Indigo View Post
    You know I'm a dentist don't you Mr Bawanna? I'll keep an eye out for stuff we are about to throw away if you like that sort of thing. I'll send you a photo when I get a couple things so you can see if they would be helpful

I think your holster looks serviceable the only thing I would suggest is angling the leather from front strap of grip to rear sight rather than straight across. Not that yours won't work just that it would add a little more coverage in your pocket from dirt, lint, keys, whatever else accidentally ends up in there.
    Man I didn't know that. Only 3 things in the whole world I'm skeered of. Bee's, snakes and dentist. Mines really good, knows I'm skeered and tries not to hurt. Just got a low pain threshold in my mouth. I'm close to false choppers anyhow. I want to get the real looking plastic ones not the wooden ones like George Washington had. Still holding off long as I can.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan