Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   Xssights
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Undercover LEO carrying in his waist, no holster?

All the guys at one of my local gun shop carry thier Glocks between thier belt and jeans with no holster, belt covers the trigger. I think its kinda crazy but he said he has been carring that way for the last almost 20yrs day in, day out.

Default I'm with you

Quote Originally Posted by kahrking View Post
    All the guys at one of my local gun shop carry thier Glocks between thier belt and jeans with no holster, belt covers the trigger. I think its kinda crazy but he said he has been carring that way for the last almost 20yrs day in, day out.
    I'm with you, kahrking. Definitely crazy. I don't care if they have done it 20 years or 50 years, all it takes is one mistake for serious consequences. Welcome to the Kahr party, looks like you've got quite a few great "entrance passes".

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyKahr View Post
    I'm with you, kahrking. Definitely crazy. I don't care if they have done it 20 years or 50 years, all it takes is one mistake for serious consequences. Welcome to the Kahr party, looks like you've got quite a few great "entrance passes".

Glad to join the party.

Default do

most of them now speak with a very very HIGH PITCH voice
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

I worked 20 years in the NYPD and most of that time I worked plainclothes. Most officers who work plainclothes wear holsters because you are not doing deep undercover work like someone who works in Narcotics or Organized Crime. These officers (Narcotics and OCCB) most of the time do not use holster or a department issued weapons because sometimes they are searched by the drug dealers and if the dealers see a holster and a cop’s gun (department issued weapon) it can cause them their lives. The Sergeant on First 48 hours show didn’t have to go undercover because they have special unit that can perform these operations and are better trained. I think he just wanted to show off for the show. I think in the show the Sergeant goes home and tells his wife I have to go undercover and risk my life baby. Like he doesn’t have a choice, he’s a Sergeant, tell someone else to do it (BS).

That is known as Mexican Carry. It is actually about as secure as a Yaqui slide holster, more so if you crank that belt down. I have and do carry that way on occasion. If you really want to be freaked out by a "holster" then google the OSS string holster. That is a method for carrying a 1911 with a holster made from a piece of string. If memory serves, you take about an 8" piece of string, tie it so that it's a loop, then put your belt over it so that you know have two smaller loops. The pistol goes in the top, and through the bottom like a rod connector. It was supposed to have worked well enough, with of course the added benefit of being able to ditch both weapon and "holster" quickly. I tried it once, and just didn't cotton to it. Maybe with a shorter string, made from 550 cord, and a non-1911 pistol, I would consider it it a pinch, maybe.
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

Mexican carry (IWB without a holster) has been around as long as firearms. No, its not a good idea. But with certain caveats, it isn't any more "dangerous" than any other activity involving handguns.

I'm a retired LEO; I carried professionally for 30 years. I continue to carry daily under the auspices of HR 218. I am a firm believer in proper holsters, etc. That said, I have (and still do) carry mexican on occasion. The reasons are detailed and beyond the scope of this post, but my point is that many knowledgeable folks "do" mexican carry for one reason or another.

The Kahr pistols are ideal for this. A real danger when carrying mexican is activating the trigger when sticking the pistol in your waistband. The long stroke of the Kahr trigger, similar to a DA revolver, leaves less opportunity to shoot oneself in the thigh or ass. You still must be careful, though...

BTW, the rubber band "trick" was used on revolvers. I date back to those days; the method was to wrap a couple of #64 bands around the grip frame just below the recoil shoulder. This kept the revolver from slipping down inside one's pants. It didn't always work, because the bulge of the cylinder sometimes "stretched" the trousers enough to let the gun slip through.

I really don't see how this would work (or even be necessary) with a semi-auto. Aside from probably interfering with the magazine release, it seems to me it would just be in the way...

Another old trick was to take a loop of string run it through your belt where it hung over both sides and then run the gun through both loops, It actually works pretty well and disappears instantly. Also, yeah, the holster is usually a dead give away you're a LEO.

Deacon, wasn't that pioneered by the OSS and they called it an OSS string holster? I thought my memory was pretty up to the task the day I posted that. I do remember reading about some of the unconventional weapons and carry methods of the OSS, I would be interested to know if that method would be period correct for you Zoot suit shooters though.
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

I was recently working with agents from several departments in the Caribbean. Many carried "Mexican style", mostly on/near their hip. Definitely surprised me to see that. Guy I was partnered with most of the time had a Beretta he carried stuffed in his waist band in the small of his back.

I carried my MK9 in my pocket or IWB with a simple clip holster.