Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun

View Poll Results: Which pistol do you prefer for IDPA SSP division?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • S&W M&P Pro 5" Barrel, green fiber optic front sight.

5 100.00%
  • Glock Model 34

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IDPA pistol for SSP division

Default IDPA pistol for SSP division

I'm considering a S&W M&P Pro 5" barrel with fiber optic front sight, or the Glock Model 34 for SSP division in IDPA. Anyone have any preferences or reasons one guns better than the other? Or something else entirely? I'm leaning toward the M&P Pro.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

I didn't vote as I've never shot a Glock 34 and know nothing about it. I do shoot the MP Pro 5" though, although I shoot it in ESP (it's a 40SW not a 9). All I can say is that it's been excellent all around. I also shoot it USPSA in Limited, using SSS mag extensions. It is the most pleasurable shooting gun I've ever owned and, for me, feels better in the hand than the 1 or 2 Glocks I have shot. So far I've managed Sharpshooter in ESP, but I certainly don't need a 'better' gun to progress further.

While some folks like that FO sight stuff, I removed it after one match and went iron. I find fiber to be a total distraction myself--sort of like having a flashlight shining right in your eye. I personally wouldn't let the sights that come with any gun be much of a deciding factor in choosing the gun, since they're fairly trivial to replace--although of course not trivially cheap.

I've also shot the M&P 45c in IDPA CDP division and it does well there for me, too. In both IDPA and USPSA, for me, the M&P Pro has definitely taken the gun completely out of the equation--I have no gun problems to solve, is what I mean.
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    NRA Patron Member
    US Air Force 1975-1996

I think I'll probably end up with the M&P Pro 5" based on all the Youtube comparisons and stuff. Never owned a Glock, and see no reason to start now.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

You may want to hang around the M&P Pistol site, too. There's often a case made for NOT paying the extra $$ for the Pro Series version of the guns, instead buying the regular non-pro versions, then upgrading some of the trigger group parts with Apex Tactical parts. This is just an option, and I'm sure there are other after-market offerings for the M&P. When I bought my Pro Series, I believe it was the only option available for a 5".

While I absolutely love both my M&Ps, my impression from reading a lot of online reports is that the M&Ps are somewhat inconsistent as far as triggers go. In my case, I believe the M&P Pro Series trigger was actually less pleasant than the 45c. Now, it was not an issue for me because I reworked the triggers on both guns, and about 60 min of work vastly improved them both. But, if you're expecting the extra price of the Pro Series to provide a significantly better trigger, I don't think many owners would say that's the case.
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    NRA Patron Member
    US Air Force 1975-1996

Quote Originally Posted by thetmanski View Post
    Never owned a Glock, and see no reason to start now.
    Amen.

If lots of other people are doing something, I avoid it on principle.
    "Measure twice, cut once. Think twice, speak once."

M&P, unless the Glock just feels right in your hand. Then, flip a coin.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, CZ75

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    M&P, unless the Glock just feels right in your hand. Then, flip a coin.
    Had a 17. Didn't feel right in my hand. Sold it.
    Very interesting...

I would say flip a coin. I do believe the Glock 34 is the most popular in IDPA. The gun is easy to do own upgrades, and mags are cheaper.

i live in wichita and own a m&p pro 5" 9mm. i shoot IDPA also. PM me if you want to try it out before buying, could meet at bullet stop or a match.
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe

I like to use my K40, since it is what I carry. IDPA stages usually are revolver friendly, allowing for convenient reloads after 6 shots. The K40 6 round mags work well. With practice, I am almost as fast with it as I am my full size 1911.