Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   Xssights   Tommy Gun

View Poll Results: Which pistol do you prefer for IDPA SSP division?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • S&W M&P Pro 5" Barrel, green fiber optic front sight.

5 100.00%
  • Glock Model 34

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IDPA pistol for SSP division

I like the Glock platform so I would personally go with the G34. Nothing wrong with the M&P. I use a G17 for IDPA, as well as USPSA. I see no need to switch to a G34. My friend has a G34 Gen 4 and I shoot my G17 just as well as I shoot his G34. My G17 has a Ghost rocket 3.5 pound trigger with fiber optic front sight. The rest is entirely stock.

I have had 2 different M&P pro 9s. I recommend going on the S&W site and doing some research on the accuracy of the M&P 9 mm. I really liked the gun and thought I was shooting it well by the follow through feedback I was getting. But it didn't translate to the scores. I finally did some accuracy testing. With both factory and hand loads. I also had others shoot it because I really liked the gun. My son who is Master in SSP and ESP had the same results. So check it out before you buy.
    I have been shooting my G19 lately and will be rocking my CM9 at this Saturday's match.

Sent from my evil black iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with the M&P, still haven't made it to a match. The accuracy was comparable to my old Star M30 (which is really no slouch). I think it might be like a CZ and need quite a few rounds through it to reach it's potential. Otherwise it will be going back to S&W, like some the others have on the S&W site.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

I'd go the M&P route, I have a Glock and I have shot both

I've shot Glocks and thought "Meh, it's ok," but I shot an M&P a couple weeks ago and fell head over heels for it.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, SP101

I didn't vote. Never shot in IDPA and probably never will. But I did pick up a new in the box Glock 17L not to long ago. Put a few mags down range on my property. Shoots like a dream and after I get time to dial it in it will be a tack driver. I guess it will be to long for competition. But I got it for targets.
    Ruger Single Six .22/.22mag, Mark II target stainless, LCR, GP100 .357, Blackhawk .357/.9mm, Super Blackhawk. 44 mag, Kel Tec PF9, Remington R1 1911, Kahr CM40, Beretta PX4Storm .40 SC, Glock 22, Glock 21, Bond Arms Snake Slayer IV .45/.410,
    Bushmaster M4A3 HB LE, Century Arms AKM 47 PAP M70, Mossberg 500 Persuader Custom, Ruger 10/22, Remington Nylon 66 stainless, Springfield 1903 Sporter 30-06.
    More to Come.

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

I'd recommend shooting both guns before you buy. You can modify the glock easily (fiber optic sights, extended releases, etc...) but I selected the M&P40 Pro after careful comparisons. Out of the box I felt the M&P Pro was a better value and package. I have not purchased one yet, but have come very close as recently as last week. I am still enjoying my PM40 for IDPA...because it is what I carry. The only difference is that I have my own reload just for IDPA with my PM. I'd probably do this with the M&P too. I realize the M&P would technically NOT be considered gaming, but it somehow is to me because it is not what I will carry. I don't believe many folks are routinely carrying Glock 34's 35's or M&PPros....these guns are simply too big. To me IDPA is about practicing with the sword you carry. JMO. But shoot them both first, before you buy. Then you will always believe in your decision and won't second guess what you did.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

I held the M&P 40 PRO and fell in love with it. Fits me like a glove. Will shoot both my carry PM40 and the PRO, but really love the PRO. Purchased a CompTec holster and mag pouches for it and the entire Pro package is really nice for competition. Still working out my new loads for it and have not shot it enough to deal with the accuracy issue. For IDPA, I'd go with the PRO but inject my carry gun for good practice. I am even picking up an M&P22 to add more inexpensive shooting practice, because it so closely resembles my PRO.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

For the 2011 IDPA World Championship, there were 142 Glocks, 62 G34's and 57 G17's. There was a total of 67 S&W M&P's used, 18 Pro models and 39 regular M&P's in 9mm. For the 2010 USPSA Nationals, there were 62 Glocks and 22 M&P's in Production and in Limited, 170 wide body 1911's and 18 Glocks. Outside of 1911's (from all makers), the G34 is the most often used gun in both IDPA and USPSA. The results are pretty much unchanged since they started the surveys.

The G17L and G24 are not allowed in IDPA and neither are ported barrels.