Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   Xssights   Mitch Rosen
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New guy from PA

Horizontal foregrip isn't bad with stick mags, but is definitly awkward with drums. Idc though, its neat looking and always get requests to fire it at the ranges I go to. Being in mass, I thought getting the local pd to sign off on the atf. Form 1 to convert to a sbr would be the hard part. But 10 mins got the blessing and signatures. Problem was I ran into a financial road block so haven't sent my 200 + forms and finger prints in yet. Hope to do that by months end. So far proccess has been easier than it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna45cal View Post
    I'll so some research but just briefly what kind of time and money was involved? My biggest expense will be the makeover I need to look as cool as you in uniform with your boys. Then I'll have to get a 4wheel drive chair so I can go on maneuvers, a BAR and a M14 for support.
    Heck yeah, I can do that.....................I'm on it. I'll keep you posted.
    Time is the issue here...it used to take several months to get an SBR request filled. Now that the ATF has opened an NFA office in Martinsburg, WV, the turnovers are a lot quicker.

It's gonna cost you 200 bucks for the stamp; the paperwork is downloadable from the ATF, and 2 fingerprint cards are easy to come by (1 for the ATF, 1 for the FBI). Getting the CLEO to sign-off is the painful part (setting up a meeting, bullshitting about the 2nd Amendment, etc.), but there's no reason why he can't sign it (legally, he is in no way held responsible for your actions afterwords). And, if he doesn't want to, you have other options open to you (judge, public defender, etc.).

Just be sure to buy the barrel AFTER you get the stamp....Levinworth is a bad place to be, this time of year! You can swap it out yourself using a vice, a pipe wrench, leather, and basic hand tools (I did my own, and also tapped it for a bfa).
    Rob
    "Nothing wrong with shooting, as long as the right people get shot." - Harry Callahan

SA M1A1 SBR Thompson owner
    http://floridasmostwanted.webs.com/

You also have the option of opening a trust, and filing the paperwork in the name of the trust.

Trusts don't require a sign off by CLEO or anybody else, and being the owner of the trust, you effectively own the NFA item - without having to ask permission from a CLEO
    ~Mike F.
    April 19th, 1775 - when marksmanship met history, and the heritage began. Liberty, Heritage, and Marksmanship.

Are you a Rifleman or a cook? Attend an Appleseed event and discover your heritage.

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostsoldier View Post
    Time is the issue here...it used to take several months to get an SBR request filled. Now that the ATF has opened an NFA office in Martinsburg, WV, the turnovers are a lot quicker.

It's gonna cost you 200 bucks for the stamp; the paperwork is downloadable from the ATF, and 2 fingerprint cards are easy to come by (1 for the ATF, 1 for the FBI). Getting the CLEO to sign-off is the painful part (setting up a meeting, bullshitting about the 2nd Amendment, etc.), but there's no reason why he can't sign it (legally, he is in no way held responsible for your actions afterwords). And, if he doesn't want to, you have other options open to you (judge, public defender, etc.).

Just be sure to buy the barrel AFTER you get the stamp....Levinworth is a bad place to be, this time of year! You can swap it out yourself using a vice, a pipe wrench, leather, and basic hand tools (I did my own, and also tapped it for a bfa).
    Rob
    Actually the CLEO sign off should be easy for me. His desk is about 20 ft from my cubicle and right now at this very moment we're in good standings. He just left, he was fondling my muzzle loader I keep on my desk. Probably didn't know what it is but it's fun to look at. My Tommy is usually there but I took it home for awhile. The big hurtle will be the 200 bucks, the cost of the new barrel and my worst nightmare dealing with the federales. I got a message into some of the other staff to see if they have any contacts.
    On installation is there any headspace issues? Almost has to be. You'll have to enlighten me on a bfa, no clue what that is but I want one if you got one. Let the games begin.:33:

Bfa = blank fire adapter for theatrical/reenacting uses

Quote Originally Posted by Embalmer View Post
    Bfa = blank fire adapter for theatrical/reenacting uses
    Blank fire adapter, what ya gonna shoot with a blank firing adaptor?
    I can see where it would be right handy doing the reenactment stuff, the fellas your shooting at probably really appreciate em a bunch, but I can put that on the back burner for right now.
    I think I found the form on line, I believe it has to be the Application to make and register a firearm, dang there's alot of forms.
    It looks like Mr. JohnH has a real hankering for a SBR, SBR, SBR. I feel obligated to break trail for him. I believe we're gonna try and make this happen. Mr. Ghostsoldiers gonna be callin me a copycat for sure.
    Hey thanks Mr. Embalmer for the info, I can say this old dog learned something today. How long I can remember it remains to be seen.

Bawanna,
    There will be no headspace issues, as the Thompson barrel has a feed ramp bevel built right in, and there is no "head space", per se.

All you do is screw it down tight, and use a little blue Lok-tite on the threads.

And yep...those bfa's come in handy whilst reenacting...it keeps the German's from sending real lead down range at you!
    Rob
    "Nothing wrong with shooting, as long as the right people get shot." - Harry Callahan

It'll be a bit before I get to twisting barrel's on and off but don't run off no place I expect I'll have a few dilemmas to deal with when the time comes. Beings you been there hopefully I won't have to reinvent the wheel? Just to test the waters I just sent a memo to the CLEO here to seek approval to carry a sidearm here at work. It's never been done before, been trying for 10 years but thought I'd give it another go. Being a civilian employee they don't allow us to carry. It's in a safe on my desk but just not close enough.
    As armorer I have access to 40 Glocks 21's and 40 or so AR15's and truckloads of ammo so if I wanted to go postal (my ma was a mailman so I'm allowed to make that analogy) I'd not be lacking for tools. They allow me to keep my Thompson on my desk for display just not wear a sidearm. Maybe this time?????
    The sign off for ATF form should be a piece of cake. (I hope)
    I can see where the pretend German would take real exception to using live ammo in the PC war games. That's gotta be a great time, except for the occasional liar. I got ya, no you missed me, no I nailed ya, only a flesh wound, I shot you back. Fix bayonets you liar.............

No problem, my good man....I'll be here!
    Rob

Thumbs up EZ-Pull Spring Kit

Embalmer...

Got the spring kit for my Commando from deerslayer...will post range report sometime next week.

Thanks for the heads up...