Xssights   Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: what do you guysthink of Derringers for a real ccw

Quote Originally Posted by TominCA View Post
    They worked for the old timers
    Why you pickin' on me?

Seems like it would make a good BUG on an ankle rig or in a pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by tv_racin_fan View Post
    Seems like it would make a good BUG on an ankle rig or in a pocket.
    Actually, the Cowboy with 3" barrel would work better. In fact, they have the Mini with 2 1/2" barrel that will still shoot 2 1/2" .410 shells. That one with the 4" barrel is longer than a CM9.
    Very interesting...

I don't recall the OP asking about a specific model. Personally I would agree that a PM9 or the CM9 would be a better alternative IF something of that size was in question. Just the same I can see carrying something smaller in some fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by pocket View Post
    i figure it can't hurt to keep an extra firearm if a BG manages to get it, your change pocket is your life saver. Two shots of a .32 magnum will do the job. I saw an expenive piece that had a barrel and shot 6 .32 magnum's. It makes a nice combo with a PM9? Also, it is a sure bang!
    Well, I've honestly never considered a derringer, but if I had the spare change I might try one. I don't see much advantage to a derringer over, say, a Kahr P380 or my little Ruger LCP as a BUG, but maybe I'm missing something. Hey, what the heck, try one...just don't forget and leave your main carry piece home.
    Kahr CW40 & CM9; Glock 27; KelTec PF-9; Ruger LCP; S&W Model 60 3" bbl Chief's Special .38 spl/.357 mag; T/C Venture .300 Win Mag; Marlin 336W .30-30 Win; Mossberg Mariner 6 shot; Mossberg 500 Field 12ga; T/C Triumph .50 cal smokepole

IMO there are much better options than a Derringer and than the .32 cal.
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    -- Abraham Lincoln --

i think i'd go hand to hand with my spyderco paramilitary before pulling a .22 derringer... do more damage if you're skilled with a blade at close range, and at 20m+? forget a derringer.

drawing from a pocket is generally slow and clumsy unless you sense trouble coming and already have the pistol palmed.

pm9 or a 380 is small enough to pocket as a backup.
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Longitude Zero View Post
    Now way in hell would I CCW a derringer. That is inadequate mission foresight. Kinda like going against an M1 Abrams with an AR, ain't going to work well.

As for .22 for self defense...PUHLEEZE...
    To each their own, but self defense isn't always about killing multiple determined attackers. Sometimes you just need a deterrent to convince the BG(s) to leave you alone.

http://texasfred.net/archives/2610

I'd feel plenty confident carrying a six or seven shot .22 magnum. Of course, I live in Texas and don't have to worry about people wearing multiple layers or thick, heavy clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by LMT42 View Post
    To each their own, but self defense isn't always about killing multiple determined attackers. Sometimes you just need a deterrent to convince the BG(s) to leave you alone.
    And the bigger/nastier looking the gun is all the better. A full sized 45 will deter more folks than a pipsqueak little 22 and I speak from personal experience. Bigger IS better.
    Wake Up...Grow Up...Show Up...Sit Up...Shut Up...Listen Up

But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself a question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, PUNK?
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe