Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Xssights

Thread: New Kahr CM9 owner. Range report and a few questions

Default New Kahr CM9 owner. Range report and a few questions

So yesterday I decided to pick up a new CM9. I usually carry a Glock 19 IWB, but lately found myself pocket carrying my smith j-frame, mostly due to being lazy lol. I've always been more proficient with a semi though. The CM9 solves that predicament by being pockteable and similar enough in operation to my 19.

Anyway, here's my range report. Prior to firing, I followed the prep guide. Cleaned and lubed gun. Racked 500+ times, cleaned and lubed again. I also tested to see if the mag follower was contacting the mag catch, which it seemed to not. I also checked to see if my chosen rounds were clearing the slide release upon mag insertion, which seemed to be fine.

Got to the range and proceeded to fire 200+ rounds of Blazer brass and Federal FMJ (both 115 gr.) and a couple mags worth of Speer Gold Dot 147 gr. I was quite surprised that I experienced no FTF' or FTE's. No stoppages whatsoever. This was with a mix of slow fire, and alot of rapid fire as well. The trigger reset will take some getting used to, due to coming from a short reset Glock trigger, but other than that I was quite pleased. I was even able to slingshot the slide to chamber consistently with no issue.

Only issue I ran into was that the mag plate seemed to not be held on securely by the detent plate, and I noticed after firing a couple mags worth of ammo that the mag plate would be sliding forward. I ended up using some pliers to close up the gap on the mag plate sides a bit. This seemed to help.

Now here's where I noticed an issue. After tweaking with the mag, I decided to clean the gun. While it was apart, I decided to try the mag follower test again, and low and behold i noticed the follower getting hung up on the mag catch. I ended up sanding the right side of the follower so that it slid in and out fairly freely. I then reassembled the mag and tested for clearance of live rounds to the slide release. I noticed that the slide release would contact the round ever so slightly during mag insertion, not enough to move the slide release up or cause any resistance upon insertion though. Not sure if this will cause any issue. I then proceeded to reassemble everything and load her up before bed. I loaded the full mag and slingshot the slide like I did countless times at the range. Except the slide would fail to RTB and stay back instead, unless i gave it a slight tap to the rear, in which it would chamber fine. I tried several times to slingshot as I was able to before, and i couldn't get it to chamber consistently that way anymore. Chambering from slide release was fine. Also, I only checked these functions using Speer Gold Dot 147gr. Any ideas what happened?

Went back to the range last night to test things out. I also purchased an extra factory mag. This new mags follower snags on the mag catch like my other mag did before I sanded it, however I experienced no issues whatsoever with it so I might just leave this one be. I fired another 180+ rds last night using both mags. Mix of Winchester white box, blazer brass, and federal 115 gr. I also fired a mag of 147gr. Speer gold dot, and 10 rds. of gold dot 124 gr. +p short barrel. The CM9 went through all of them with no hiccups.

Quote Originally Posted by qwikrex View Post
    Went back to the range last night to test things out. I also purchased an extra factory mag. This new mags follower snags on the mag catch like my other mag did before I sanded it, however I experienced no issues whatsoever with it so I might just leave this one be.
    You know, I wonder if that test is flawed? While the follower might catch on the empty mag catch window, maybe it is not an issue when the mag is installed and the mag catch is filling that hole.
    Very interesting...

Sounds like a keeper to me. I don't see any issues with the things you mention. While many can sling shot the slide without issue it's also a very marginal thing with no room for sloppiness. At the range you might have been doing it with gusto and full energy. At home you might have subconciously been a little more careful and not quite pulled it all the way back.

It will continue to improve the more you shoot it.

The bullet and slide release clearance is also very tight under the best of circumstances. If the round is brushing past loading the mag but not actually activating the slide release I wouldn't be concerned.

Glad you found us.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

[QUOTE=qwikrex;130482]

Only issue I ran into was that the mag plate seemed to not be held on securely by the detent plate, and I noticed after firing a couple mags worth of ammo that the mag plate would be sliding forward. I ended up using some pliers to close up the gap on the mag plate sides a bit. This seemed to help.
    /QUOTE]

I had one of my mags do the same.....what should be done with that?.....get the pliers after it?

Default possably

Quote Originally Posted by JFootin View Post
    You know, I wonder if that test is flawed? While the follower might catch on the empty mag catch window, maybe it is not an issue when the mag is installed and the mag catch is filling that hole.
    u might be right but this fix was mentioned to those w2ho were having issue at round 2/3 which is where the magfllower is trhen rightin that cut out windown wkhere the mag catch goes. One could choose to do nothing atfirst when buying a new gun andreading sme of the prep stuff but then if issues arrive at round 2/3 then I wuld suggest do9ng the follower4 sanding thing. Otherwiase if IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT. still goes.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT. Exactly right.
    Very interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by qwikrex View Post
    I then reassembled the mag and tested for clearance of live rounds to the slide release. I noticed that the slide release would contact the round ever so slightly during mag insertion, not enough to move the slide release up or cause any resistance upon insertion though. Not sure if this will cause any issue.

I experienced the same thing as you did with my CM9. Speer GD 124g just barely brushes against the slide lock lever, but not enough to move it. It does concern me just a little bit...however, the last 100 rounds of wwb and speer GD's I've had zero malfunctions, so I guess I shouldn't worry.