CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodbye P380!

Default Goodbye P380!

...and no more Kahrs for me of any caliber!

After a thousand rounds of .380 wasted and a replacement frame provided by Kahr, I managed to negotiate a reasonable trade despite full disclosure of my experience with my P380. The replacement frame provided by Kahr actually did function well for a few hundred rounds, (after a malfunction-riddled break-in, that is), but then started prematurely locking back (and it it was not my big, fat thumb!)

I fortunately came across this via another thread, but believe it a temporary fix, at best:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c50P7HCAATo
    It may well be applicable to all plastic-framed Kahrs, as the premature lockbacks ceased after tightening the tiny torx screw under the slide stop, But I am not convinced after only 50 rounds it's a permanent fix. Pivoting a moving part on a screw driven into plastic seems poor engineering to me.

My malfunctioning P380 is no longer an issue for me, but I urge anyone depending on a plastic-framed Kahr to be aware of this issue.

And yes, "plastic" is just as correct as "polymer".

It is unfortunate that you have limited yourself from an entire line of good quality handguns because of your bad experiences with one model that is known to be problematic.

But, you must do what you feel is right, of course.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZpIrlcZmXQ

Quote Originally Posted by Glockenspieler View Post
    ...and no more Kahrs for me of any caliber!

And yes, "plastic" is just as correct as "polymer".

I felt exactly the same way after my P380 experience a few months ago, but.....I came back, just because the P9 fits my hand perfectly. I have had very good luck with Kahr K9s, PM9s, and now my P9. Several hundred rounds with no burps of any kind.

But.....so far, it's only a backup to my backup of my backup to my SIGs. I do enjoy shooting it and it has great accuracy.

Glockenspieler: I had a similar experience with my P380 and got rid of it after 1400 rounds and two trips to Kahr. However, I've owned 5 other Kahrs that worked beautifully. My PM9 has been totally reliable with everything but Gold Dots.

U should change the title like this "Goodbye P380 and Hello PM9"
    That should work

Quote Originally Posted by kahrlover123 View Post
    U should change the title like this "Goodbye P380 and Hello PM9"
    That should work
    No thanks, I'm a firm believer in the old saying that starts with "Fool me once..."
    "Good Money after Bad" also comes to mind.

My Glock 27's have earned my confidence, on and off duty, for almost 20 years, and various S&W J-frame .38's (now with CTC Laser Grips), since the 1970's. They will continue to fill that niche, so I have no need for a PM9/40 (or CM9/40).

On the bright side, not owning a .380 will remove any temptation to carry one.

But I do appreciate your suggestion, and, with one notable exception, appreciate the similar courteous replies from others here and on this thread:
    http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=10327

I again urge anyone relying upon a plastic-framed Kahr to see
    gb6491's video (As a young officer I learned to listen to Marine Master Gunnery Sergeants):

Quote Originally Posted by Glockenspieler View Post
    No thanks, I'm a firm believer in the old saying that starts with "Fool me once..."
    "Good Money after Bad" also comes to mind.

My Glock 27's have earned my confidence, on and off duty, for almost 20 years, and various S&W J-frame .38's (now with CTC Laser Grips), since the 1970's. They will continue to fill that niche, so I have no need for a PM9/40 (or CM9/40).

On the bright side, not owning a .380 will remove any temptation to carry one.

But I do appreciate your suggestion, and, with one notable exception, appreciate the similar courteous replies from others here and on this thread:
    http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=10327

I again urge anyone relying upon a plastic-framed Kahr to see
    gb6491's video (As a young officer I learned to listen to Marine Master Gunnery Sergeants):
    I understand your position but it does not apply to me.
    Glock is a good piece but here are my problems with it:
    1) looks ugly as heck
    2) too bulky for concealed carry

I have owned and used many pistols before and choose PM9 as my carry because:
    1) it's the slimmest, sexiest looking 9mm out there
    2) my PM9 gives me ZERO issue (I hit the range just about once a week with it).

About P380? I did own one before and sold it. I got lucky with that one and did not have many issues (once in a blue moon FTRB) with it. But I know a few friends who have issues with P380. My take on P380? It's not a reliable concealed carry (If I chose 380 as carry, I would go with TCP or LCP).

What you describe does appear to be a weak link in the design chain and I believe I understand why you'd not be interested in another "plastic" Kahr. If I found myself in a SD/HD situation I'd like to have my Glock 26, Kahr PM9 then Kel-Tec P3AT with/on me in that order. However, I find myself most often with my PM9 - its kinda like the Goldilocks pick.

If I were a LEO or even retired LEO, as my two younger brothers are, I'd be carrying something with a lot more snot than what I have now. Getting "made" would likely just be an embarrassment for you, for me it could cost my my permit. Even with its limitations and design flaws functioning Kahrs make a great choice for civilian concealed carry.

Will you still be sticking around the forum or is it Adios?
    "I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

kahrs can't please everyone, so best to just move on when ur not happy. Plastic, Poplymer callum what u want damn near every comany makes plastic today. Glock cut their eye teeth n plastic guns, brag on glocks if u feel good about it, some swear by them some swear at them. .

I try not to judge the Kahr P380 results as being the same for all kahrs which we certainly know is not true. Indiana state police I have been told is now into their second major return of glocks, now it is the Modl 17 giving issues, where as the Model 17 replaced their newly acquired Modl 22due to major issues.(over 1200 G223;'s returned for exchangte) It happens, and if u think glocks, sigs don't give issues, then ur dreamin. Course from reading some on the glock talk it seems the glock owners just will never acknowledge they have issues either. I love my G19, fokker just won't ride in my front pocket like my PM9 does, which I trust as much as my G19
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Quote Originally Posted by compman View Post
    I was just told by a Kahr worker that a bunch of new guns are coming out. .

Hopefully something with an accessory rail.