Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moon clip Question

For a 5 shot revolver, are the two half clips different sizes (2 and 3)?
    Very interesting...

IT's for a 1917 S&W, actual US Army issued revolver. Yup, the halfs are easier to caryy, I just have a jillion full ones already.

How about cutting the sixes in half

Think dremel, cut off wheel

Sheeesh,
    Tilos
    I apologize if my post contains the same or similar information as someone who has posted before me.

These are made from spring steel, I don't know how well that would work. JFootin, I have never seen halfs for 5 shot revolvers.

Quote Originally Posted by DeaconKC View Post
    These are made from spring steel, I don't know how well that would work. JFootin, I have never seen halfs for 5 shot revolvers.
    The reason I asked is because so many revolvers are 5 shot. Of course 6 shot would solve the problem. I understand that you can have a modern revolver machined to accept moon clips, which might be a good solution for reload rather than fiddling with a speed loader.
    Very interesting...

Doesn't sound like you are really looking for a solution here.
    IT WORKS I'VE DONE IT.
    I've added slots to full moons, between the cavities for easier loading, and used a dremel and cut off wheel.
    I know they are spring steel...I didn't tell you to use a hacksaw or tin snips did I??

sheeeeeeeeeesh
    Never mind then,
    Tilos
    I apologize if my post contains the same or similar information as someone who has posted before me.

LOL, that is good news. Thanks! Did you use any type of special disc, the fiberglass reinforced one or just the regular thin ones?

Default The final word on moon clips

Hustler asked me to weigh in here and give you an official AZSA answer to this question. The original design for moon clips was for a full moon clip. The design was changed to the two half moons at the request of the Army in an attempt to make the loaded clips easier to ship through the military supply system as well as easier and flatter to carry in a canvas case on a pistol belt.

While the half moon clip was by far the most common, full moon clips were available in both the U. S. and in Great Brittan during WW 1. Therefore the answer is spring steel (not the nylon/plastic) full moon clips may be used in AZSA events.

Hope that helps.

Default Where to buy Half Moon Clips

I fully understand why you would prefer full moon over half moon clips. AZSA is a competition after all and one clip will be much faster to load than two. If you just have to use the more common (at that time) half moon clips they are available.

If you don't mind dealing with E Bay and Pay Pal several listings for Half Moon Clips (such as the one below) can be found there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130651244279...84.m1423.l2648

Great news as I have a ton of full moons, but of course as Murphy was an optimist, I recently was given a half dozen more half moons too!