Mitch Rosen   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TP-9 has a small grip

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default TP-9 has a small grip

Hey guys, I just bought my first pistol but unfortunately I can't take it home quite yet.

The gun is used but looks like it was never shot. I'm looking at pictures on the Kahr website and the TP9 on there has a much longer grip than mine. So I did some google searching and found the blog post below. My question is, is this info accurate? How old could my gun be? Is it rare? To me it seems more desirable as a concealed cary weapon since it has the shorter grip. I like it and can't wait to bring it home .

http://unreadbits.blogspot.com/2006/...p9-review.html

So mine looks like this (without the Novak sights)

Mine does not have a grip this long
    Last edited by Antriess; 03-25-2012 at 10:03 PM.

That's a TP9 slide and barrel on a P9 frame. Look at how much of it is sticking out beyond the frame up front.
    Very interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by JFootin View Post
    That's a TP9 slide and barrel on a P9 frame. Look at how much of it is sticking out beyond the frame up front.
    Interesting. Was that done at the factory?

Look at this archive post from this forum.
    http://kahrtalk.com/archive/index.php/t-74.html

And I think that I read somewhere that the TP9 slide will not work on a P9 frame. Any ideas on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Antriess View Post
    Interesting. Was that done at the factory?

Look at this archive post from this forum.
    http://kahrtalk.com/archive/index.php/t-74.html

And I think that I read somewhere that the TP9 slide will not work on a P9 frame. Any ideas on that?
    Sounds like the early TP9s had the shorter grip. But if you look at the TP9 on the Kahr website, the frame is matched to the slide, not way short like a P9 frame would. I still stand by my original conclusion.
    Very interesting...

The TP slide on a P frame is what I asked a while ago... no real answer on it.
    I'd love to do that with a TP45 slide on a P/CW45 frame!

I seem to recall... P frame with TP size slide mentioned here before, also seeing someones TP frame with TP slide, but with shorter "P" size hood on the TP frame. Any ideas?

the tp9 was originally released with the shorter frame (both grip and under the barrel)...

this was years back. some googling should get you more details and maybe some of the early reviews of the tp. not sure if its an actual p9 frame or if it was slightly different. they have since gone to the full grip with two 8 rnd mags with the little foot. the orig tp came with 1 7 rnd mag and 1 8 rnd extended mag with the chunkier base plate.

Quote Originally Posted by hylton View Post
    the tp9 was originally released with the shorter frame (both grip and under the barrel)...

this was years back. some googling should get you more details and maybe some of the early reviews of the tp. not sure if its an actual p9 frame or if it was slightly different. they have since gone to the full grip with two 8 rnd mags with the little foot. the orig tp came with 1 7 rnd mag and 1 8 rnd extended mag with the chunkier base plate.
    Thank you very much for the info!

Hylton nailed it. Your new Kahr is an early TP9 model, and they came from the factory that way. It appears to be a P frame, but I've never tried to fit my P frame to my TP slide to see if they fit together. If I have time I'll do it today and report back. I have a newer TP9 and I can say it is a fine gun, my favorite Kahr. It shoots like a T9. Enjoy your "new" Kahr.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

According to this serial number history thread and the receipt for my Kahr with the serial number, I have YD13xx - TP9 - Apr 2007.

yep, that would sound about right for the timeframe. i love my p9, but that particular version of the tp has to be a great combo of tack driver with a more concealable grip. i am looking at getting a newer tp to get the longer barrel and since i have the p9 i am thinking i will like the longer grip for a range gun. but the walther ppq has me at a point of indecision right now. but i digress. i am sure you will love shooting that and the accuracy should be spectacular.