Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TP-9 has a small grip

I for one would enjoy hearing if they do indeed fit together Hylton

that was ripley that had both and said he would try when he had tim. i dont have the tp (yet) my shtf alter ego is still telling me to buy a walther ppq and put the tp9 purchase on a back burner. my revolver alter ego is telling me to get the tp9 because i know i will love it...dont ask about my other egos, there are too many.

I just tried to put the TP slide on the P frame. It would not slide on all the way. Some part of the slide bumped into some part of the frame and I didn't want to force it. One thing I noticed is that the front guides, in the dust cover, were just barely long enough to reach the front rail slots on the slide. I have a very early P and a very new TP, so perhaps there's some incompatability there... I don't know, but after studying the two parts, it does seem as though the older TP has a long slide on a P frame. I see no difference. If I weren't too chicken I'd force the issue but I don't want to make a hybrid that I couldn't take apart.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Quote Originally Posted by hylton View Post
    that was ripley that had both and said he would try when he had tim. i dont have the tp (yet) my shtf alter ego is still telling me to buy a walther ppq and put the tp9 purchase on a back burner. my revolver alter ego is telling me to get the tp9 because i know i will love it...dont ask about my other egos, there are too many.
    Have you held the ppq yet? When I was trying out guns the other day the guy at the shop gave me a ppq to hold and I really didn't like where they put the mag release. With my grip I couldn't reach it with my thumb and that just bothers me. YMMV of course.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    I just tried to put the TP slide on the P frame. It would not slide on all the way. Some part of the slide bumped into some part of the frame and I didn't want to force it. One thing I noticed is that the front guides, in the dust cover, were just barely long enough to reach the front rail slots on the slide. I have a very early P and a very new TP, so perhaps there's some incompatability there... I don't know, but after studying the two parts, it does seem as though the older TP has a long slide on a P frame. I see no difference. If I weren't too chicken I'd force the issue but I don't want to make a hybrid that I couldn't take apart.
    Good to know - thanks for trying it out ripley.

yea, held a ppq at the local shop and also at a recent gunshow. i love the feel of the grip. i've got a p22 plinker and have grown use to the mag release. i actually have switched to using my trigger finger to drop the mag rather than my thumb to stay on target. but i would agree that for a lot of folks it would be tough to reach it with your thumb and not twist, coming off target...i could do it but it was uncomfortable. but i find i even have to twist off target with my kahr as well.

some of the advantages i've found with the walther mag release are that they work well with gloves on and they also release better than some button style that seem a bit 'sticky'.

Should I be shopping for holsters made for the TP9 or the P9? This is my first pistol so I'm new to this.

Remember, the grip is the size of a p9 and the slide is TP9 length.

I think that most likely either would work as long as the bottom of the holster is open. I'm looking at the Crossbreed type holsters. Thanks in advance!

Yes, anything open will work. I have the longer grip TP. It fits in my Comptac Infidel (slide version of the holster, so it's open). Works great.

If you want a closed holster for the TP, choices in my experience are limited. I believe blade-tech makes one, somebody else but it escapes me.

I have a new Silent Thunder STX (owb) on order, should have it in the next couple weeks I guess. But I'm having it made long enough for the TP, closed, but the P will fit also. So custom options are available.

I had a change of heart and switched my future pistol from the TP9 to a K9.

Still love that TP9 with the short grip but the shop had a used K9 and it just felt right to me.

Here's a blog/post about the Tactical 9 and later changes:

http://unreadbits.blogspot.com/2006/...ew.html#update

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

I never noticed the difference from the one I bought (and boasted about) shown here http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?p=138709#post138709
    and the one on the Kahr site.

So I too have one of these P9 framed TP9's.
    I just grabbed the box and sure enough the spent shell case package is dated 8/13/2004.

So I bought a brand new gun that was 7.5 years old. Love it too
    Last edited by gunshow; 04-15-2012 at 08:30 AM.