Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Xssights

Thread: Kahr CW9 Laser Vs. Crossbreed Holster

Thumbs up Kahr CW9 Laser Vs. Crossbreed Holster

Hey everyone,

I have a Kahr CW9 on its way to my FFL from Bud's, and I am really excited about it. I have been carrying the Glock 19 for over a year, and am ready for the slimmer carry option. I settled on a Crossbreed Mini tuck to carry with, but am torn on whether I should get the holster fitted with the Crimson Trace laser. I am undecided on whether I will get the laser yet, but if I do it will likely be this summer (when I can make some $$ - broke college student btw). I want to know if anyone has experience with the Kahr CW, P, or PM being carried in the holster without the laser attached. Is the retention still good? I know from experience that the triggerguard is the most common point of retention, and since the CT attaches to the triggerguard, I am wondering...

At the same time, I can't afford to buy a new holster if I do end up wanting a CT. So it would be nice if I could keep the option available. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated... thanks!

i had same question and crossbreed said dont do it. i tried the laser on my pm9 and took it off because it wasnt comfortable when pocket carrying and i didnt use the laser to aim anyway.

I've got a laser for one of my Kel-Tecs and another for my Glock 26 both are less then useless on bright sun shiny days painting a light colored target. They're a great tool for training and in conditions where you can pick up the dot IMMEDIATELY. For many I believe in close point shooting then transitioning to sight shooting as distance increases is the way to go.
    "I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'd say forget the laser, IMO. But an idea would be the standard N82 holster. It has a heavy duty elastic gun pocket and is real comfortable. You could email either Nate and ask if one holster could accomodate the gun with and without the CT. Just $40 plus shipping.

Edit: I just looked and it is $10 more for CT laser equipped guns. But the fact that it is elastic might make retention OK, might not. Thing is, you are more likely to get struck by lightning than to ever have to use your gun in a s.h.t.f. situation. Divide that by the likelihood that you are going to be in such total darkness that you might need the laser. Most life threatening encounters where you would have to shoot someone are within a few yards. Point and shoot is what is usually called for. Add all this up and the expense of the laser just doesn't add up.
    Very interesting...

I have the Crossbeed for my PM9 with the CT laser but my PM9 still fits it fine even with out with the laser installed. I also use the same holster for my K40 as it a good fit for it as well.
    Tony,

Check My Photography Website
    PhotographicEndeavors.com

Army National Guard Veteran 1972-78
    NRA Life Member
    Kahr PM9
    Kahr K40
    Kahr CW380
    "Defend freedom because it is not free"

Quote Originally Posted by Ol'coot View Post
    I have the Crossbeed for my PM9 with the CT laser but my PM9 still fits it fine even with out with the laser installed. I also use the same holster for my K40 as it a good fit for it as well.
    Interesting to hear from you, having tried it that way. I am still undecided on the laser, but FWIW I live in the cloudiest, gloomiest city on earth (Seattle) so being able to see the laser outside is a non-issue!

Quote Originally Posted by AlbinLee View Post
    Interesting to hear from you, having tried it that way. I am still undecided on the laser, but FWIW I live in the cloudiest, gloomiest city on earth (Seattle) so being able to see the laser outside is a non-issue!
    AlbinLee,

I for one am sold on the CT Laser as a plus for SD and I have one on my PM9, My Ruger LCP and My S&W 642 J-Frame. I do my practice drills with and without the laser on. The laser is just another tool and if can give me an advantage in low light increasing my odds in a bad situation I will happily take any increase on my part. At normal SD distances my lasers are dead on, the POI of the round is exactly where the my laser dot is pointed no guesswork at all. I have found that my point and shoot drills have become much more accurate even with the laser off as the muscle memory last been better trained.
    Tony,

Check My Photography Website
    PhotographicEndeavors.com

Army National Guard Veteran 1972-78
    NRA Life Member
    Kahr PM9
    Kahr K40
    Kahr CW380
    "Defend freedom because it is not free"