Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Being ready to draw!!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Being ready to draw!!!!

We talk about going to the range, practicing the draw, takeing classes etc. These are things we do to get ready for the day we might have to use our guns. What I haven't heard (I' new to this forum so maybe this has come up before) is how important it is to keep your shooting hand free for action! I know there are times you don't have a choice, but many
    people don't even try. For instance, when I come home I don't enter the house with my hands full of books bags or what have you. I open the door with my hand on my gun and with great caution. I don't know, maybe my habits come from growing up in a very bad part of Detroit. Folks may think that when trouble comes you can just drop what is in your hands. Well you would be surprised how conditioned we are to
    hanging onto our things.
    Many years ago I was taking a bus home from Wayne State University at about 3pm. Shortly after exiting the bus (on a semi main street) a man exposed himself to me and then chased me toward his waiting car. I ran like hell and I knew the area so I got away. I was lucky, I got away eventhough I had 4 books, a tape recorder, thermos, and a purse! I NEVER droped my things so I could run faster. I know how I reacted as an 18 year old, so now I keep my gun hand free and clear until I'm in a safe situation

All good points AIRret and true too. Human conditioning is tough to fix. I've never been to Detroit but I do tend to keep my strong side hand available. Little things like opening my jacket when I put on a seatbelt so I can still access my gun are just habits.

Stuff we need to think about before bad things happen.

Thanks for the reminder.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

How sad to have to live in a place like that. One that makes you feel you need to have a weapon in hand every time you unlock and enter your home through your front door. I'm as cautious and aware as anyone, but I can't imagine having to live that way.

I no longer live in Detroit. I escaped to the Air Force and now that I am retired I have move back to MI but this time I live in the suburbs. Funny thiing is; eventhough my neighborhood is nice we have been having a rash of home invasions and burgleries.

Quote Originally Posted by AIRret View Post
    I no longer live in Detroit. I escaped to the Air Force and now that I am retired I have move back to MI but this time I live in the suburbs. Funny thiing is; eventhough my neighborhood is nice we have been having a rash of home invasions and burgleries.
    Even though you're not in Detroit anymore, keeping those fears will still help you stay safe. There's nothing wrong with entering your house, business, or car with a head's up and eyes open attitude.
    Having grown up in the Bronx, I still lock my front door when home. I also lock my car doors when driving. I've seen too many bad things happen... locking doors is just an easy way to gain time to get yourself prepared.

Home invasions and carjackings occur EVERYWHERE.
    It ain't paranoid, it's prudent.
    LaP

I have no fear of perfection... I'll never reach it.

Quote Originally Posted by LaP View Post
    Even though you're not in Detroit anymore, keeping those fears will still help you stay safe. There's nothing wrong with entering your house, business, or car with a head's up and eyes open attitude.
    Having grown up in the Bronx, I still lock my front door when home. I also lock my car doors when driving.
    Hey, that's my line! I was going to reminisce about my grand-mother off the Grand Concourse taking 5 minutes to unlock her door when we visited.
    Once she figured it wasn't a junkie it was " CLICK,CLICK,SLIDE,CLICK,TURN,
    CLICK, THUMP (that was the bracing bar) CLICK. Then big old grandma sloppy kisses and hugs.
    I actually though that was normal until I moved to N.C. But to this day,
    nothing gets left in the car and everything gets locked. Condition Yellow is
    normal.

Quote Originally Posted by HDoc View Post
    Hey, that's my line! I was going to reminisce about my grand-mother off the Grand Concourse taking 5 minutes to unlock her door when we visited.
    Once she figured it wasn't a junkie it was " CLICK,CLICK,SLIDE,CLICK,TURN,
    CLICK, THUMP (that was the bracing bar) CLICK. Then big old grandma sloppy kisses and hugs.
    I actually though that was normal until I moved to N.C. But to this day,
    nothing gets left in the car and everything gets locked. Condition Yellow is
    normal.
    People in Indianapolis wonder why I lock my door when I'm home....
    I tell them that I'm protecting my most valuable asset... MY LIFE. People don't realize that there's a percentage of badguys that WANT you to be home when they break in. That's exactly why they're breaking in.
    When living in upstate NY, a family of four was tortured for two days before the the bastard killed them. It's not uncommon anymore.

P.S. You reminded me of how my Grandma would plant a big sloppy one on the mouth while grabbing both my cheeks (my face cheeks, my face cheeks ). Oh, some memories should be kept buried.
    LaP

I have no fear of perfection... I'll never reach it.

Quote Originally Posted by LaP View Post
    Having grown up in the Bronx, I still lock my front door when home. I also lock my car doors when driving. I've seen too many bad things happen... locking doors is just an easy way to gain time to get yourself prepared.

Home invasions and carjackings occur EVERYWHERE.
    It ain't paranoid, it's prudent.
    I agree LaP. I am ready when I enter my place. Costs me nothing. May one day save everything.

Also near Detroit and prepared.

Interesting story related, maybe 5th or 6th cousins.

My youngest 17 was down the street saturday night with some buddies. Got to horsing around with one kid and half way wrestling. My kid apparently got the kid in a head lock and basically he said uncle so my kid let him go. Soon as he did the other kid reared back with his elbow and busted my kids nose.

So mom and older son (I'm in the sack with the fever) it's 1 in the morning blow down there and take him to the hospital to get looked at.
    The other kids have their car keys and phones etc at my house. Wife tells them the door is unlocked, just go in get your stuff and get out. They said what about bawanna? She told them he's sick, his hearing aid is out, don't turn on or off any lights and if he happens to be up and moving around do exactly what he says.

They said maybe they should go in and wake me up and tell me whats going on. She told them that was a very risky and poor idea.

Where do people come up with this stuff.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Not guilty. One of the reasons I have such a high regard for front pocket carry. In many instances you can have your hand on the gun ready to go in which case the draw is very fast. Plus no garment to clear that could possibly cause you to botch the draw. I know others don't care for pocket carry and I respect their opinion.
    "I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson