CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Checkered Grips for MK40 Do Not Fit!

Can someone post a picture of the Dremel bit you used?

Sent from my ThinkPad Tablet using Tapatalk

I'd use an 1/8" router bit in the dremel but I have a drill press stand. If you don't I don't think it would work. I'd most likely take a good knife to the outline where you want to cut to and maybe a chisel. Really not alot of material to remove.
    There's an 1/8" bit kind of like a router bit but without the cutters on the tip that might work good.
    Maybe even the smaller size sanding disc would work for most of it.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I'd use an 1/8" router bit in the dremel but I have a drill press stand. If you don't I don't think it would work. I'd most likely take a good knife to the outline where you want to cut to and maybe a chisel. Really not alot of material to remove.
    There's an 1/8" bit kind of like a router bit but without the cutters on the tip that might work good.
    Maybe even the smaller size sanding disc would work for most of it.
    Bawanna thanks for the info, I'll give it a shot this weekend when I get to my weekend place where all tools are.

Well guys, I took the Dremel to the grips this past weekend and get them to fit. I installed the screws Kahr sent me on one side, proceeded to the other side and installed the bottom screw with no problem, the top screw was a different story. The top hole did not line up. I finally gave up, 58.00 + shipping thrown away.

I contacted another 3rd party grip maker, had a long discussion with him regarding the possibility of having him make me some. He stated Kahr firearms made good guns but custom grips were very difficult based on the way Kahr designs and builds their frames, not a consistent process based on what he said. He also said that Hogue was no longer making grips for the Kahr line due to the issue that has been encountered. That explains why no other grip companies offer wood grip options for the Kahr line.

I decided since this will be a defense piece and not a show piece I’ve ordered the CT LG461 laser grips, let’s hope they fit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lkgmadmax View Post
    Well guys, I took the Dremel to the grips this past weekend and get them to fit. I installed the screws Kahr sent me on one side, proceeded to the other side and installed the bottom screw with no problem, the top screw was a different story. The top hole did not line up. I finally gave up, 58.00 + shipping thrown away.

I contacted another 3rd party grip maker, had a long discussion with him regarding the possibility of having him make me some. He stated Kahr firearms made good guns but custom grips were very difficult based on the way Kahr designs and builds their frames, not a consistent process based on what he said. He also said that Hogue was no longer making grips for the Kahr line due to the issue that has been encountered. That explains why no other grip companies offer wood grip options for the Kahr line.

I decided since this will be a defense piece and not a show piece I’ve ordered the CT LG461 laser grips, let’s hope they fit!!!

That's interesting. Why wouldn't all MK frames be made the same?

The guy I spoke with at the3rd party grip company referred to a type of casting process that Kahr uses. He also mentioned how constant the CNC machine is being exact and computerized. Too much variance with the casted frames.

Sent from my ThinkPad Tablet using Tapatalk

I am easily confused and this is one of those times. If what you were told is correct how is it that the black plastic grips that come on the guns fit so perfectly. I doubt that each plastic grip is hand fitted to each gun. As far as the wood ones you bought I think you are entitled to a refund. When that kind of scenario happens to me I feel ripped off and angry.

Quote Originally Posted by lkgmadmax View Post

How far off is that top hole, just a tad or considerable. That's one reason I haven't been making MK and K grips. I've made them and sent them and they don't fit. In the MK I'm told there were only 2 series, the GA like I have and the GC which is the current but there apparently are production variations. Been trying to figure it out for a long time. I've even considered getting an FFL so guns can get sent to me, I'll fit grips and send em back. So far the headache isn't worth it. Wish I had a good solution.
    They are a challenge to make with all the inside angles to fit and match up.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

A little under 2 years ago, I alerted upper management at Kahr to this problem with the grips and the fix. They were going to notify Hogue the mfr of the grips to correct. It seems like a relatively easy fix. My question is why hasn't anyone at Kahr pursued this, isn't 22 months long enough? This is the kind of BS that gives me a bad taste.

30 months isn't long enough either.

Just got a set of wood grips for the MK9 Elite and had to shave off some wood above that little metal tab at the base of the handle where the magazine goes in.

I did a poor job and had to fiddle a bit with a screw inset as well.

But ultimately it worked fine and I have nice grips.

Why the wood grips aren't made to fit properly, I don't know. If you look at the cutout, it looks like these were manufactured for a different but very similar gun (the tab shape and size is off).

Whatever. The end result is fine. Same issue with the stainless steel guide rods you can buy...they're a little too long. Odd. Got one of those and it works great...just sticks out a tiny bit.

My guess is that Kahr COULD fix these issues but it's not cost effective. Most people are buying CW9s these days...not steel guns. So they're just not going to deal with it.

OK by me. I love the MK9. I have a PM9 which is great, but I got the MK9 too because it's so purty.