Xssights   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun

Thread: Light .40 S&W target loads

Default Light .40 S&W target loads

Loaded up 50 rounds of .40 S&W using 155 gn Hornady bullets over 5.8 grains of Universal powder and all shot well and cycled the slide of my PM40 just fine so that question is answered...

In my loading book the minimum load for this bullet is 5.7 and the max is 6.2 so there isn't much room to work with but my load did work in the PM40 and the M&P .40

I couldn't feel much difference between my load and the WWB factory target loads we were shooting and both felt about the same and a miracle happened and I actually shot pretty good for a change...

Now I got to get busy loading more up cause man o man does that M&P go through ammo quick but it sure is fun to shoot!!!...

I've been using Berry's (and previously Winchester) 165gr and 180gr bullets over Blue Dot powder. My best light loads have been with Berry's 165gr over 8.5gr of Blue Dot.

1) Excellent lead bullets are available for much less money.
    2) Excellent jacketed bullets are available from Montana Gold, Precision Delta, and Zero for the same money as plated.
    3) The .40S&W can be an excellent target (Bullseye) type cartridge.
    In general, a 145gn L-TC bullet has been the most accurate. The (no longer in existence) MasterBlaster moly-koted L-TC and 9.0gn of HS7, 6.9gn of Silhouette, 5.6-6.0gn of Unique, and 6.6-7.7gn Unique were very accurate.
    I bought a bunch of MasterBlaster bullets in 9mm, .38, and .40 and found they were all exceptionally accurate. When I went to mass-order, they were out of business. Black Bullets International, who supposedly bought a lot of MBs equipment, did not offer the same bullets I had bought from MB, so I have not ordered from them.
    The Montana Gold 155gn JFP has been very accurate with Power Pistol, Silhouette, and Universal--with 8.8gn of Silhouette, it produced several <1.0" 5-shot groups at 25 yards.
    I could go on with all the great loads I have for 155gn L-SWCs, as I prefer SWCs over other styles of bullets (but the results with the 145gn L-TC means that I may look at those bullets again).