Xssights   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr CW9 Barrel Defect

Default Kahr CW9 Barrel Defect

Hey everyone. Just wanted to bring this to your attention. I got my brand new CW9 today, and ran about 300 flawless rounds through it, both JHP and FMJ. I was very pleased until I broke it down to clean it, and noticed that the leftmost edge of the barrel hood (looking at it from the chamber end) was either not properly machined, or has some sort of defect on it. The edge is jagged and sharp enough to cut myself on. I immediately inspected the breach face, where this portion makes contact, but did not notice any major damage. I am wondering, what should I do about it? Pictures below.

It may be hard to tell but I tried to show it.

Also, I noticed that the firing pin was not impacting the primer at the center, not even close. The impact is towards the top edge of the primer (when the round it in the chamber and locked forward). No failures so far, but wanted to know if this off-center strike is normal?

How off center are we talking? Pics?

looks like they got a little cleanup work to do on the hood area - which doesn't effect firing pin hit location

Get pics of the off center striker hits to add to these pics and email them and your explanantion to Kahr CS. They might want to look at that puppy.
    Very interesting...

Here are some additional images of the off center alignment of the rounds during lockup. I am still not sure if it is worth the bummer of having to send it in... like i said, it ran for 300 rounds no issues whatsoever. And the primer strikes were all solid, despite being off center.

maybe someone with a kahr cw9 can show their breach face or at least look at it? the barrel lockup appears to be perfect, regardless of the machine spot they missed on the hood.

The primer hits aren't that bad, a smear from the striker is quite normal and that makes the slightly off center hit look worse than it is. I'd not be concerned myself.

Far as the sharp edge that is pretty common as well, just take a fine file and some maybe 600 or even 400 sandpaper and dress it off smooth. Don't break out the bench grinder, just smooth off the sharpness. Couple strokes of the file, little polish with the paper and your back on the track. Once it's smoothed off it won't return and will no longer be an issue.

It's usually more prevalent in the upper right of the barrel hood.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Those striker hits look exactly like those addressed in my CM9 manual which says they're normal and no cause for concern.

leave the gun alone 300 perfect rounds, WTf, just shoot it like u stole it. The fired rounds sur elook alot like mine do. I try not to nit pick littlle things that I really have no clue as to whether it is right or wrong, my clue that something is wrong is when the gun doesn't go bang. Then get concerned..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    The primer hits aren't that bad, a smear from the striker is quite normal and that makes the slightly off center hit look worse than it is. I'd not be concerned myself.

Far as the sharp edge that is pretty common as well, just take a fine file and some maybe 600 or even 400 sandpaper and dress it off smooth. Don't break out the bench grinder, just smooth off the sharpness. Couple strokes of the file, little polish with the paper and your back on the track. Once it's smoothed off it won't return and will no longer be an issue.

It's usually more prevalent in the upper right of the barrel hood.
    Thank you very much! This is exactly what I was thinking, I was going to take a very fine tooth file to the edge and finish it with 1000-2000 grit. And as for the off center primer strikes, I was not going to worry about considering the reliable ignition through 300 rounds. I just wanted to get an opinion from the Kahr junkies!

I didn't mention the file remedy up front for fear of getting flamed lol I wanted to hear it from someone else.