Tommy Gun   Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr CW9 Front Frame Rail Question

Default Kahr CW9 Front Frame Rail Question

Hey All,

I just got my first Kahr this week, the CW9, and broke it in with 300 flawless rounds! I got it home, and while cleaning, noticed a couple minor issues: that the front rails dont align with the slide very well (as well as a minor machining defect on the barrel, which I already posted about). I wanted to ask folks with a CW9 to look at the slide to frame fit on the dustcover of their CW9, because I don't think mine looks quite right... Here are some pics.

BTW, I took these photos with a camera phone, at an angle such that the muzzle was NOT crossing myself whatsoever.

Here it is in slide lock. Notice how the right side fit is perfect, but the left is only riding on half of the rail.

Left side fit

Right side fit

I know, I am out of my mind right? But seriously, it would be nice to know that other polymer Kahr owners see their slide favoring one side or the other in the front rails. Then I wouldn't worry about it.

the back rails is what carrys all the brute force, the front rails are baqsically guide rails and they doi absorb some brunt force but the back rails is the ones that do allthe work. I really think ur looking for issues that accourding toyou with 300 flawless rounds down range are just not there. On my PM9 I can by hand move the front slide left kand right on the front rails, It ain't gonna be a tight ass fit.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    the back rails is what carrys all the brute force, the front rails are baqsically guide rails and they doi absorb some brunt force but the back rails is the ones that do allthe work. I really think ur looking for issues that accourding toyou with 300 flawless rounds down range are just not there. On my PM9 I can by hand move the front slide left kand right on the front rails, It ain't gonna be a tight ass fit.
    I know that the polymer guns have a looser slide to rail fit for reliability. I just don't want this alignment issue to start chewing away at one side of the polymer rails, is really my biggest concern. If other folks notice their dust cover favoring one side or the other, it is really only an annoyance to me at that point. Being an engineer, I can't help myself but to notice the small stuff...

No way I'm looking at mine. If it's like that I don't want to know.

I'm at about 1200 rounds now without a single malfunction. I trust it 100% with my life and that's good enough for me.

I just looked at mine and it looks a lot like yours. I think the slide lock causes the slide to shift over to the left side. In use, it would float on the rails and probably be more centered.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbinLee View Post
    Hey All,

I just got my first Kahr this week, the CW9, and broke it in with 300 flawless rounds! I got it home, and while cleaning, noticed a couple minor issues: that the front rails dont align with the slide very well (as well as a minor machining defect on the barrel, which I already posted about). I wanted to ask folks with a CW9 to look at the slide to frame fit on the dustcover of their CW9, because I don't think mine looks quite right... Here are some pics.

BTW, I took these photos with a camera phone, at an angle such that the muzzle was NOT crossing myself whatsoever.

Here it is in slide lock. Notice how the right side fit is perfect, but the left is only riding on half of the rail.

...I know, I am out of my mind right? But seriously, it would be nice to know that other polymer Kahr owners see their slide favoring one side or the other in the front rails. Then I wouldn't worry about it.
    Personally, I don't think that looks good. The play between the rails and slide would probably be OK if it wasn't biased so much to one side. Then, unless it's an optical illusion, I'd also be concerned about the angle at which the rails engage the slide. They (the rails) look too "open" to me.
    For comparison here are my CW9 (left) and CW45:

I think you might want to contact Kahr (to include photos) about this.
    Regards,
    Greg

Crap! I couldnt help it. I looked.

Mine looks just like yours, AlbinLee. I can't believe I actually looked!

I'll never feel safe carrying this gun again!

Ok, I looked too.

Dunno...hard to say if that's an issue or not?

Mine looks pretty even on the rails.

Sold all my guns. I dislike firearms.
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    That notch in the rail is supposed to be there

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    --Thomas Jefferson (1764).

My bet is kahr is going to say it is within specs. His photos and greggs are both good enough IMO for kahr to look at them and make this judgement call without seeing the gun. being is has given no issues and u guys have posted about the same results of what it looks like, then kahr is not going to addrress what is not an issue. Might look like a visual issue but a funtioning issue we have not seen that. no doubt if something goes haywire with the gun kahr will stand behind it but just my 2 cents, they are going tosay it is within specs.

I remember when the kel tecks were having an issue with the PF9 with a peace of casting actually breaking in the frame. It never effected reliability but you could see the busted peace when the slide was off. kt's answer was it is OK, one either accepted that or peddle dthe gun and moved on..

sorry I was not trying to put kahrs o the same scale as kt's either, just one gun I was very famniliar with at one time.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Just a theory: during the 300 round break in, I shot 3 to 4 mags rapid fire, and the barrel got pretty hot to the touch. Nothing unreasonable, but while firing, my off hand thumb rides along the dust cover. Maybe the combination of heat and pressure is to blame?