CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Off Leash Dogs

Default Off Leash Dogs

What is your opinion of the best non lethal way to deal with off leash dogs?

Let me explain. I walk my two German Shepherds on leash in a typical suburban neighborhood. The city has a leash law. To tell you the truth, personally, I am all for well trained/managed off leash dogs. Mine are not and probably never will be.

A few moths ago, my wife and I were walking the GSDs and an off leash dog amidst his human family bolted out of their yard, across the street, and engaged my male GSD. Ended up begin no contest, but I did suffer a bite even though I knew enough to stay out of the middle of it. Stuff happens in a dog fight. Fortunately the off leash was up date on shots so all I needed was antibiotics (they do not stitch dog bites) and all ended well for all - human and dogs. Off leash dog family got cited cause you cannot get treated for a dog bite down here without reporting it.

Anyway...off leash (back yard escape) happens more that it should and normally I can avoid a situation. I do carry while walking but I have no desire to kill an attacking stray much less risk a 45ACP (P45) ricochet.

I figure a loud bang from a small revolver - maybe with a rat/snake shot load - carried along with the P45 might work.

Also toying with an S&W Governor with bird shot 410 loads for same. Figure that may be fun to shoot as well. I am aware of the Judge/Governor 410 shot shell HD debate and do not wish to poke that sleeping dog if you will.

But I thought I'd ask first.

Thanks,

Pete

how about mace or another aerosol defense system?
    We carry the Kimber Pepper Blaster

Sold all my guns. I dislike firearms.
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    That notch in the rail is supposed to be there

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    --Thomas Jefferson (1764).

My wife uses a canister of FOX pepper spray. It has a rating of 5.1 million scoville units (approx twice the strength of most spays)

If you get in close and spray that stuff right into thier muzzle and mouth, it ought to make them reevaluate their current activities.
    My wife has used it once in the past few years. She sprayed an attacking dog at about ten feet and it took off in full gallup.
    LaP

I have no fear of perfection... I'll never reach it.

That pepper blaster looks like the real deal. Not only will it protect you and your dog, but it might just teach the attacking dog that it's not a good idea to go after other animals.
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

SHOOT STRAIGHT, RIDE SAFE

I like the range and timing on that pepper blaster.

Thanks,

Pete

What about wasp/hornet spray? It should have a longer range and be less likely to blow back in your face (or the face of your own dogs).

pepper spray makes more sense. a dog would have to be biting the hell out of me or posing a serious threat to the well being of a child for me to shoot it. i love dogs and a swift, well placed kick will usually stop them without shooting them. not to mention shooting something that close to you and in a suburban setting. i carry with a defensive round for real threats of life. not for a dog.

The Pepper Blaster is a gel that's propelled out of the device. No blowback.
    Not sure about the toxicity of wasp & hornet spray.
    I wouldn't want to hurt the poor lil pup, just re-educate.

Sold all my guns. I dislike firearms.
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    That notch in the rail is supposed to be there

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    --Thomas Jefferson (1764).

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman507 View Post
    The Pepper Blaster is a gel that's propelled out of the device. No blowback.
    Not sure about the toxicity of wasp & hornet spray.
    I wouldn't want to hurt the poor lil pup, just re-educate.
    Good to know, Tinman!

Two words: Cattle prodder
    “I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.”
    “To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    --George Mason

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Got that DC?