What is your opinion of the best non lethal way to deal with off leash dogs?

Let me explain. I walk my two German Shepherds on leash in a typical suburban neighborhood. The city has a leash law. To tell you the truth, personally, I am all for well trained/managed off leash dogs. Mine are not and probably never will be.

A few moths ago, my wife and I were walking the GSDs and an off leash dog amidst his human family bolted out of their yard, across the street, and engaged my male GSD. Ended up begin no contest, but I did suffer a bite even though I knew enough to stay out of the middle of it. Stuff happens in a dog fight. Fortunately the off leash was up date on shots so all I needed was antibiotics (they do not stitch dog bites) and all ended well for all - human and dogs. Off leash dog family got cited cause you cannot get treated for a dog bite down here without reporting it.

Anyway...off leash (back yard escape) happens more that it should and normally I can avoid a situation. I do carry while walking but I have no desire to kill an attacking stray much less risk a 45ACP (P45) ricochet.

I figure a loud bang from a small revolver - maybe with a rat/snake shot load - carried along with the P45 might work.

Also toying with an S&W Governor with bird shot 410 loads for same. Figure that may be fun to shoot as well. I am aware of the Judge/Governor 410 shot shell HD debate and do not wish to poke that sleeping dog if you will.

But I thought I'd ask first.

Thanks,

Pete