Tommy Gun   Xssights   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: Kahr Trigger Pull and Slide Question

Default Kahr Trigger Pull and Slide Question

Has anyone experienced the stock striker spring being too stiff for the recoil spring? My CW9 just passed the 400 round mark this weekend with no failures, and I have racked the slide/dry fired well over 2000 times since I got the gun. The cycle is smooth as glass, as is the trigger. The only concern I have is that while dry firing, taking a slow, smooth trigger pull, the slide will retract probably about a half millimeter to a full mm. Upon close inspection, I can actually see the barrel start to drop (just a little) during the trigger stroke too.

Now, I know that the added friction of a round in the chamber is likely to render this a non-issue. I am just curious if people have ever gone to a lighter striker spring, or heavier recoil spring because of this. Thanks in advance!

makes no difference. I have the 5#striker spring and ur gonna getthe same thing. ur making something out of nothing. u hve 400 perfect rounds, so leave it as it. ur looking at things that are just the normal thing of operation for your kahr. Ur striker spring is now probably less than 7#..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

It's part of the design of the system. With a round in the chamber, the extractor is a connection between the barrel/bullet and the slide and everything tightens up. All my Kahrs are loose without a magazine in the chute and one in the chamber.

Glad to hear from you guys about the striker vs slide movement. I wish I had some snap caps to test this with. I am sure that it would prevent the movement having the added friction of a chambered round. One additional question I have is about the small metal cam, connected to the trigger bar, which rotates against the slide rails (on the back right portion of the frame rails). From observation, it looks like this piece rotates forward, actually forcing the slide into battery before the trigger breaks (towards the end of the pull). Jocko or someone correct me if I am wrong here, I am interested to know if this was accounted for in the original design.

The cam on the right side next to the frame rail comes up when you pull the trigger to depress the striker block so the firing pin can come forward when the other cam releases the striker. I think I said that right if not someone else will correct me.

The trigger bar moves forward, but the cam actually rotates to the rear. As Kerby said, one side rotates against the striker extension until the rotation takes the cam out of the way and the striker, thus, releases ... spring tension (striker spring) does the rest sending the striker into the chambered round.

The other side of the cam simultaneously moves up and depresses the striker block just before the release of the striker. This is the safety part of the system ... ensuring that their is no way for the striker to be released into the chambered round unless the trigger is pulled (NY is still trying to wrap the heads around this concept ... as is California).

If you look at a schematic with this in mind, it will make perfect sense. Better yet, if you are brave, and mechanically courageous, breakdown the rear of the slide and striker channel and you will see the interaction of these parts. It's pretty cool.

I guess cam isn't the right word? I am talking about the metal piece connected to the trigger bar itself, which is on the outside of the frame rails on the right side of the frame. If you look at the removable panel from the side, this part sticks out just above that panel and rides under the rail.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbinLee View Post
    Glad to hear from you guys about the striker vs slide movement. I wish I had some snap caps to test this with. I am sure that it would prevent the movement having the added friction of a chambered round. One additional question I have is about the small metal cam, connected to the trigger bar, which rotates against the slide rails (on the back right portion of the frame rails). From observation, it looks like this piece rotates forward, actually forcing the slide into battery before the trigger breaks (towards the end of the pull). Jocko or someone correct me if I am wrong here, I am interested to know if this was accounted for in the original design.
    I guess cam isn't the right word? I am talking about the metal piece connected to the trigger bar itself, which is on the outside of the frame rails on the right side of the frame. If you look at the removable panel from the side, this part sticks out just above that panel and rides under the rail.
    It's possible that tab could indeed apply some force to the slide in such a manner as to assist it into battery. The degree of that force would depend upon the strength of the trigger bar spring, the shape of the tab, and the shape of the clearance cuts for it in the slide.
    With that said, the primary function of that tab is to disconnect the trigger bar from the cocking cam. As the slide moves to the rear, it rides over that tab pushing the trigger bar down and out of contact with the cocking cam allowing it to reset.
    Regards,
    Greg

That part that you are referring to is the trigger bar, itself.