Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PM45 Issue?

Default I have seen this many times

Quote Originally Posted by OneRudeDog View Post
    Here is another view.
    They indeed did polish that sharp corner off. Thats what should have been done before the barrel was ever put int he gun. Whatyou had alot also get as that portion comes to a kinda sharp point and no doubt that point is weakest on the end and it is hit about every time with the brass upon ejection, causing a burr like edge.

My PM9 did that, MY P380 did that. I filed the burr off and smoothed it down with fine paper and it has never come back, It really does nothing one way or the other to hinder reliability. Some never have this issue as the brass somehow is not hitting upon ejection. Those that do, should IMO just smooth it out and continue on. As once that pointed corner/edge or whatever is rounded off, it will stop forever. I have over 25,000 rounds out of my PM9 andnot a mark or burr has ever come back in that area.

No doubt if the barrel or gun is sent back to kahr they will do what they did to yours.

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    They indeed did polish that sharp corner off. Thats what should have been done before the barrel was ever put int he gun. Whatyou had alot also get as that portion comes to a kinda sharp point and no doubt that point is weakest on the end and it is hit about every time with the brass upon ejection, causing a burr like edge.
    Thanks for the info jocko. I too have a PM9 & a P380. I have not noticed it as much on these two. PM9 has been flawless 100% reliable right out of the box. 1200 rds no issues even during break in. P380 issues too numerous to mention. They replaced slide, Slide Stop spring. Polished feed ramp,slide stop, ejector. Now flawless as well.

I tend to agree with you that the PM 45 will function just fine although I have not had the chance to go to the range and run it.

The main beef I have is that Kahr said "REPLACED BARREL" and it does not look like it was replaced. Why didn't they say rounded and polished corner?

Glad to here you have 25,000 rds thru the PM9.

SantaFe Guest

I've had my PM45 for over a year and am very happy with it as a dependable carry pistol. I shot 200 rds for break-in as they suggested and the worst that happened was the nuckle on my thumb got "skinned" by the corner of the grip. No jams, no FTF or FTE. Very accurate too with the excellent trigger. I had no signs of plastic shaving or metal chipping. Just lucky, I guess.

Big problem is that they still haven't come out with their continually promised 6 rd magazine specifically for the PM45. You can use the 6 rd for other models but it looks stupid.

Also, I've had problems finding a good assortment of holsters to fit the PM45. Most holster makers try to sell you a P45 holster saying it will fit. It does, sorta. Best I've found comes from American Pride Leather and I had to soak it and insert my plastic wrapped pistol in it until dried and it now fits perfectly. I clamped a rubber-covered clamp on trigger portion to get a snap fit of the trigger to hold it in better. It was $31, a bargain.

Home. American Pride Leather Company, Gun Holsters and Leather Products

Quote Originally Posted by SantaFe View Post
    I've had my PM45 for over a year and am very happy with it as a dependable carry pistol. I shot 200 rds for break-in as they suggested and the worst that happened was the nuckle on my thumb got "skinned" by the corner of the grip. No jams, no FTF or FTE. Very accurate too with the excellent trigger. I had no signs of plastic shaving or metal chipping. Just lucky, I guess.

Big problem is that they still haven't come out with their continually promised 6 rd magazine specifically for the PM45. You can use the 6 rd for other models but it looks stupid.

Also, I've had problems finding a good assortment of holsters to fit the PM45. Most holster makers try to sell you a P45 holster saying it will fit. It does, sorta. Best I've found comes from American Pride Leather and I had to soak it and insert my plastic wrapped pistol in it until dried and it now fits perfectly. I clamped a rubber-covered clamp on trigger portion to get a snap fit of the trigger to hold it in better. It was $31, a bargain.

Home. American Pride Leather Company, Gun Holsters and Leather Products
    You might check their site again, I recently ordered 2 of those 6 round magazines specifically for the PM45. Little spendy, but I received them in about a week.

I am specualiting on the barrel also. Indeed they might have replaced it and did the things to it before seinding it out that iMO should have been done. I have always felt that tip in that area of the shroud should be rounded andnotleft like manyare. If the brass casing never hit it that is fine but some do. the extractor has alot to do witht he angle of the brass existingthat small opening and if they hit that rounded corner nothing will show Mine is likeyour "new" barrel now andit is perfect .. I don't think I would loose any sleep over this but YMMV.

Everyone brace yourself for what I am about to tell you.

Yesterday I shot my PM45 for the first time. I put 205 rounds through it.
    (Remington Ball Ammo) ( I inspected and lubed it properly before shooting)
    It malfunctioned several times ( FTF ) and the slide wouldn't close all the way on a fresh mag.

I have the exact same problem as ELARS2. A piece of metal broke off the slide in the exact same spot. The casings marked my slide on the inside and out.

I just inspected my barrel and have the same problem as OneRudeDog.
    That little piece in the corner has an indention + the bottom of the feed ramp is really rough and has noticeable edges on it.

On top of that there are pieces of polymer coming off the front part of the frame where the bottom of the slide rests and pieces coming off the front of the left rail.

The slide stop is also very sharp.

I will be getting in touch with Kahr tomorrow morning.
    Frankly I am very disappointed, i had read the reviews about Kahrs malfunctioning but never expected this. I hope that they can fix it as I love the size and weight of the pistol.

Thanks Guys
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here are the rest of the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by elars2 View Post
    Hi, new to forums and new to Kahr. Brand new PM45. 50 rounds shot, and when I cleaned it, I noticed some of the metal on the slide between the recoil spring and barrel ports has broken away. Already secured an RA from Kahr and I'm shipping it back next week, just curious if this is an isolated issue or common with the PM45. Other than that, love it! Very accurate!
    __________________________________________________ ______________

Here are the pixs of my lower. Note the small chip on the left guide rail. I was told that is put there on purpose as a point of reference by Kahr. Also, as for the tiny metal chips....normal too. Do you guys have that chip on your guide rails???

Quote Originally Posted by jfmay View Post
    __________________________________________________ ______________

Here are the pixs of my lower. Note the small chip on the left guide rail. I was told that is put there on purpose as a point of reference by Kahr. Also, as for the tiny metal chips....normal too. Do you guys have that chip on your guide rails???
    All polymer framed guns have the "Witness marks" Manual page 15, right column, Step 2, photo 3 covers this:
    http://www.kahr.com/DL/kahrmanual.pdf
    I failed to RT#M the first time I tried to take my PM9 apart as I do my K9 -- different!
    Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

totally a bad gun, the entire things needs to go back to kahr. no excuses for that kind of product toleave thebuilding IMO. call kahr and definitely insist they pick up the shipping tab. If youcan send them those photos that should reinsure themt hat they have a bad gun. Ask for IAN at kahr. don't take no for an answer as to the shipping charges. The gun is new, the gun is bad. they will take care of it but other than time you should be out nothing more either..