Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need a .22 rifle for a steel challenge match

Default Need a .22 rifle for a steel challenge match

There's a club about 30 minutes from me that has .22 steel challenge matches and I will need a .22 rifle. I don't have one, but was thinking about getting an S&W M&P15-22 since I like the AR platform. Does anyone have one and what are your thoughts about it? Also, does anyone compete in steel challenge matches? For the handgun part, I was told that I could use my Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit for my Glock 17.

Edited to add that these aren't sanctioned matches and are just for fun.
    Yes, I am a gun lovin' woman!
    16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

LOVE my 15-22... it is a blast and same manual of arms as the AR of course.

Research the loading of the mags and if you get that right it will be a problem free fun plinker.

Never competed but have a red dot from primary arms on it and it really is a hoot and as accurate as I am... which may not say much ! LoL

My 15/22 is my absolute favorite gun! The early models had some feeding issues, and you'll still read about that if you do a Google search, but those issues have long since been solved. Buy a new one and you'll be fine.

I saw the threads about making sure the rounds are staggered, and I did that at first, but then starting ignoring it, and never had a problem. I just make sure I only drop the follower down (using the buttons) far enough to load one round at a time, and they stack properly. If you drag the follower down a few inches and start dropping rounds in there a few at a time, they won't stack right and you'll have feed issues. It's really not a big issue at all.

Check out the Black Dog Machine LLC 50-round drum if you want to just shoot and shoot and shoot! (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MAG4141-1.html) Woohoo! I had a little trouble with waxed rounds through mine. Took apart the feed necks and dremeled them out a bit and they've been awesome since. They worked fine with the bulk Federal and Winchester (not waxed) before the dremel work. Now they work fine with the CCI 40-grain Sub-Sonic as well.

I have more than 3000 rounds through mine including the stock magazines and the 50-round drums. The majority of feeding issues have been related to the 50-round drum, which I have since resolved. I think I had three failures to feed out of 2000 rounds through the stock magazines. All three were the Winchester bulk, which has a big flat nose due to the size of the hollow point.

Oh, and you'll want an awesome carry case for it as well: http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Storage-Ad...0562464&sr=8-3
    See my range report (http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8437) for a pic of my 15/22 stowed in the UTG case.

If you scroll down far enough there is a pic of the 50-round drum attached.

Can't go wrong with the 15/22. Fantastic gun!

Do you already have an AR? If so, buy a .22 AR upper or conversion. IF not, but an AR lower desiged to shoot .223/5.56 and then buy a .22 upper for it.

You can find complete AR uppers for .22 for about $350-400. A CMMG or similar conversion is about $150 for a standard .223/5.56 upper. Your lower can be built to suit, but a complete lower can be had built for not much over $200 if you search, $250 with Magpul furniture...
    If it's a penny for your thoughts and you offer me your two cents, what happens to the other penny? Taxes, the democrats tax everything!!

No offense, rholmes69, but why spend that much money and turn an AR-15 into a .22, when you can get a complete 15/22 for $400, which is lighter, and optimized for its purpose? Plus, then you have two guns.

[edit: $400 is optimistic - with tax/ffl you're probably closer to $500 - still a good value]

Thanks guys! The 15-22 sounds like a good choice then.

Cesande, I also have a Primary Arms red dot on my Kel-Tec Sub 2000 that I will try on the 15-22.

That's a great range report, Scoundrel.

I've got a Daniel Defense AR-15 and have used a conversion kit in it before. It was OK, but I think I would like a .22 upper or a whole .22 rifle.
    16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by melissa5 View Post
    Thanks guys! The 15-22 sounds like a good choice then.

Cesande, I also have a Primary Arms red dot on my Kel-Tec Sub 2000 that I will try on the 15-22.

That's a great range report, Scoundrel.
    You're most welcome, and thank you for reading my range report! I probably rambled on a bit much there, but I was excited.

When you get yours, please post your results, and if you remember, PM me so I don't miss it!

I try not to push my preferences on other people excessively, but I have a LOT of positive energy about the 15/22. I hope you like yours as much as I like mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoundrel View Post

[edit: $400 is optimistic - with tax/ffl you're probably closer to $500 - still a good value]
    My range is selling me one for $359 out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by melissa5 View Post
    My range is selling me one for $359 out the door.
    grumble grumble

I dunno the match, but... I'm stuck on the 10/22... got three of 'em. Got an AR-conversion (Colt), it shoots ok, dependable... but not accurate like the 10/22. The key with the conversion is the .223 vs .221 bore I suppose.