Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights

Thread: A few questions from a new Thompson owner

Default A few questions from a new Thompson owner

Hey all, new guy here.

Ive wanted a Thompson for years and finally picked one up from a used ad. The thing is like new though.

Its a TM1 if I am not mistaken

In any case, I had a few questions I was hoping you guys could help with.

1) I'm thinking of getting a 10in BLANK ONLY barrel which per the ATF is perfectly legal to do as it makes it a non gun. It'd be great for reenactments and make the gun look better where I have it on display. The question is, what is involved with removing/reinstalling the barrel for when I want to take it out and shoot for real with the factory 16in barrel? Is it simply a screw in barrel? Loctite? Torqued to a certain ft/lb setting? What about front sight alignment?

2) I would have liked to get the model with the Quick detach stock, but the deal I found on the used one... beggars can't be choosers.... Anyone know if I can buy the stock separate and the quick release plate and just pop it on?

3) Last of all, I measured the trigger in at over 8lb! I was hoping I could lighten that up a little bit, maybe to 5lb or so. Will it break in with shooting or anyone know a good mod to ease it up a bit? Polishing the surface, shortening a spring, or whatever? Im planning to order the easy pull recoil replacement springs as well.

Thanks in advance!!!

-CB

Okay, switch barrels is not going to be cheap on a Tommy. Custom job that will be very expensive. Depending on what state you live in, making it into a SBR [Short Barreled Rifle] is an option. This would allow you to put the 10 inch barrel on permanently and make the stock removable . It is a Federal license that costs $200.
    "The Deacon" Zoot Shooter #84
    Yup, I'm the guy at Surplus Rifle

Thanks for the reply Deacon.

So it sounds like the barrels are not simply screwed in but much more complicated.

tommygunner.com has a service to convert the gun to a quick change barrel.
    Pricey, but an interesting option - http://tommygunner.com/blankbarrels/index.htm

I'd love to SBR it but am in NY so thats a no go... for now...

Ghost Soldier is my go to guy for all things Tommy Gun. I swapped my buttstock and put on a horizontal forend but I don't have the quick change so I'm not sure about that.

My next Tommy project is to modify the mag catch so I don't have to ruin GI mags to run them.

Ghost hasn't been around but I think he looks from time to time. This might draw him out I hope.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Default New member ? Dumb question

Got a Thompson 1927a1 deluxe or t1d, shot half a mag and it jammed, the extractor clip was loose, called Kahr they sent a new one free, no shipping, put it in the gun, haven't shot it yet, have broken it down several times looking it over the bolt looks good, no shavings anywhere, all the parts look in order, I love the gun, and I'm a little scary about shipping it off in these times where in. Any body out there with thoughts or advice appreciated

Hiya Gray, when I got my Tommy, I pulled the springs out and put lapping compound on the bolt races and worked the bolt back and forth several hundred times. [do this while watching a good movie] Mine was very smooth and has had zero problems.
    "The Deacon" Zoot Shooter #84
    Yup, I'm the guy at Surplus Rifle