Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace   Xssights   Tommy Gun

Thread: Hard Primers

Default Hard Primers

Thinking about getting the 5# striker spring for my PM 40. Was looking around and haven't seen any real discussion of light primer strikes, but wondering if any particular 40 S&W ammo has a reputation for hard primers. Would like to test that round(s) for function after getting the 5# spring in. I am sure all will be fine, but want to test the worst known case.

If I put a 5lb spring in my Kahr mk that already pushes the envelope or limits whichever you like I would always have the thought in my head that it might not fire from a harder than normal primer. I'm not one to fix what is not broken.

I do take your point. I know the 5# spring has been used successfully by many members here and was just going to test under worst available case scenario. Too bad there isnt a "proof" primer that is 20% harder to set off than standard for reliability testing. I bet somewhere the ammo makers have that data, but probably consider it proprietary information.

Only cost me about 10 bucks to try it out. All my primer strikes thus far ( only about 200 rounds of ammo on a used gun, but at least 5 different types) have very deep, consistent strikes. I have saved about 50 pieces of brass and was going to compare them to brass fired by the 5# spring.

On another note, does anyone wonder why the ejector is so freaking sharp? cuts a clean line on the head of every fired brass. No wonder some folks are finding quite a bit of brass flakes in their striker chamber.