Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FTEs. Call Kahr or shoot more rounds?

Default FTEs. Call Kahr or shoot more rounds?

My new MK9 has 300 rounds through it, with FTEs the whole way. I had 5 FTE in the first 150 rounds. That didn't bother me...just breaking in. Well, the next 150 had 15-20 FTE, so it seems to be getting worse. This was in two range trips, and I have never had a FTE before on any gun so I'm confident I am not limp wristing. Ammo was a mix of wwb, federal fmj, and umc. All 4 mags had the issue, and roughly half of the failures were on the first round of the mag. Any ideas?

Are you using Federal Champion 115 gr by any chance? If thats what you are using change to a 124 gr ammo during your break in, untill that spring softens up. Even UMC 115gr may be the culprit.

I agree with GOOFA, it sounds as if your amo might be the problem. Invest in some higher grade ammo and you will see a difference.

My mk9 has never had an FTE. I have shot 4 types of ammo and never a problem. Does it eject a live round by hand with an empty mag in? You could take the slide off and do the ejector test. Place a round on the removed slide under the extractor and wiggle the slide. The round should stay in place with a little jiggle of the slide. Check the extractor from the outside to see if the round part behind the extractor is facing you. It really could be time to call Kahr and explain it to them.

My MK9 has never had a FTE, FTF, or any malfunction of any kind either. However, I always shoot the same ammo, Federal American Eagle and CorBon, and sometimes Fiocchi. I suggest you to try other ammo brand and see how it works before you call Kahr.
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    -- Abraham Lincoln --

It doesn't hurt to call Kahr. I had a similar problem with my CM9 and Kahr sent me a new recoil spring assembly (RSA) at no charge and that cured the problem. Did you read follow the prep and lube stickies in the Kahr Tech section? That can also make a big difference in performance.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

First, it can take 200+ rounds to break in. I know you are at that count, but it is not an exact number. I would make sure during break in that you try more than one ammo type.

Second, did you follow the advice posted here about cleaning and preparing the gun when you first get it? Good advice from members who know what they are talking about.

Lastly, I hate to suggest this as I do not know you, but be sure you have a firm grip. As a shooting instructor, I have seen a lot of malfunctions that were caused by that issue. It is far more common with small pistols, and then even more so with new shooters. If you are experienced, this may not be worth mentioning but I have to throw it out there. A good way to rule that out is to have someone else shoot the gun that is an experienced shooter. I have demonstrated this myself more than once at the range.

If there is a warranty issue, Kahr will fix it. I would at least go through these possible issues first as it may save you some trouble.
    Chief Administrator
    Kahrtalk.com

Quote Originally Posted by johnh View Post
    First, it can take 200+ rounds to break in. I know you are at that count, but it is not an exact number. I would make sure during break in that you try more than one ammo type.

Second, did you follow the advice posted here about cleaning and preparing the gun when you first get it? Good advice from members who know what they are talking about.

Lastly, I hate to suggest this as I do not know you, but be sure you have a firm grip. As a shooting instructor, I have seen a lot of malfunctions that were caused by that issue. It is far more common with small pistols, and then even more so with new shooters. If you are experienced, this may not be worth mentioning but I have to throw it out there. A good way to rule that out is to have someone else shoot the gun that is an experienced shooter. I have demonstrated this myself more than once at the range.

If there is a warranty issue, Kahr will fix it. I would at least go through these possible issues first as it may save you some trouble.
    I did not want to say it, but what you say it totally right! Many PM9 and MK9 new owners blame their guns when they malfunction, but most often it is not the gun’s fault. Shooting a PM9 or a MK9 is not the same than shooting a full-size pistol.
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    -- Abraham Lincoln --

Quote Originally Posted by johnh View Post
    My MK40 got much more reliable at 200+.
    But still took 400+ before it was 100% reliable with all SD HP ammo at any weight.

The gun was tight as a drum out of the box.
    Hard to rack, hard to field strip and occasional FTF on HPs.

Now it's flawless, cycles like butter and is cake to rack/strip/clean...
    The gun doesn't like to run dry though.
    Break it in proper. Keep it clean and lubed.
    And enjoy a fine piece of machinery.

Zamboni, you didn't say, so let me advise to be sure and clean it well and then lube with gun grease (I recommend TW25) all the lube points (except 7) on the Lube Chart except those that specify oil. Do not oil the striker channel (point 7) as it can foul the striker action. That needs to run dry and clean.

I'm not saying this is a definite cure, but it's something that will contribute if not done.
    •"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." - O. L.
    • "America's not at war; her military is. America's at the mall."