Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace

Thread: MK / CM Magazine follower question.

Default MK / CM Magazine follower question.

New to your forum so I hope this is in correct category. Purchased a pair of CM's (9 & 40) a couple of months ago as a package deal (VERY pleased with both by the way). Ran into a friend over the weekend that I had not seen for some time. Was telling him about them and he mentioned that he had owned a MK 9 several years ago that he had sold. Then said that he still had a couple of spare magazines for it and wondered if I could use them. Said sure and he just gave them to me for nothing. Got to looking at them closely (they are marked "MK" and "KAHR") and noticed that the followers were metal as opposed to polymer. Just a chrome plated one piece stamped steel follower. Took one apart and measured it for comparison to the polymer one in the CM9 and they are virtually identical. Even the profile on the top appears to be the same. Have not had a chance to try one yet but loading six and hand racking them through the pistol appears to be normal. I am wondering if anybody has had experience with them and if so are they superior or inferior to the polymer followers? If anyone can shed some light on this I will appreciate it. Thanks

The metal follower is not very common and, as far as I know, not current production. I've not seen one in person, but have seen them in photos several times (always in MK marked magazines). My guess is that they just are an older style follower (another scenario comes to mind, butI've nothing to substantiate that with, so no need to start another internet myth). Let us know how they work out for you. If you don't like them, give me a shout and I'll trade you a current follower for one of the metal ones (I'd like to see how the work myself).
    Regards,
    Greg

Thanks for the reply. These mags. have to be fairly old as my friend said he sold the MK9 several years ago. One thing that puzzles me though is I bought one of the first K9's made (also sold it) and the followers were polymer as were the additional ones supplied by Kahr in an effort to correct a problem (another issue). Probably will be a couple of weeks before I have an opportunity to try them but once I do I will report my findings and the end result either good or bad.

New MK followers are plastic, the same as the CM line. It must have been a cost cutting move by Kahr to change them from metal. I have both guns and they are fully interchangable. I think there may be a difference in quality control though as the MK mags drop free in the MK gun but the CM mags do not. There is no visible difference to the human eye, but I think the very closest to spec mags are labled MK and the others go to CM guns.

Finally had a chance to try the MK 9 magazines with the metal followers in my CM 9 this past weekend. Only fired 50 rounds through them (25 each) but they worked perfectly. I think they may have actually felt a little smoother than the factory magazine with the plastic follower that came with it. I wish they were still available from Kahr. At least with a steel follower you would not have to worry about the breakage problem people mention. Will give them another try next trip to the range and if all goes well again probably switch to them for daily use.

MK9 mags will fit perfecty on any 6 round flush fit kahr. I have never seen their metal followers

Ikeo. I disagree on ur magazine theory to. My spare mag in my pMJ9 is marked MK.it sticks also. Really no big deal with me as I never carry a spare either, so it ain't gonna go flopping on a floor either. Kahrs magazines are vendor made and I have no doubt they come makred MK before kahr ever sees them.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY