Mitch Rosen   Xssights   Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop

Thread: Has anyone tried one of these yet?

Default Has anyone tried one of these yet?

Just curious what the graphite barrels are like. I don't know anyone that has one of these, and I was kind of wanting a run down.....

Of course Kahr could always send me one and I'd be more than happy to test it out for them and give it a full run down on here....

My brother used one in a 10/22. It was ok, he built the rifle for his now ex-wife, but ended up keeping it. Made the rifle as light as his Beretta, but he shot the barrel out pretty quickly. I never noticed much more accuracy from it compared to my stock barrel. I shot both my 10/22, and his side by side, and while it was certainly light, not my cup of tea. I prefer a less fragile set-up.
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

That's what I was wondering about, especially for a hunting type of rifle, I'd be afraid of breaking it or something....

Hey jlottmc,

When you say he "shot the barrel out", Do you mean the carbon separated from the sleeve? That would be a problem!

If you are saying he lost his rifling, it may still be there, just needs to remove the lead. I have seen that condition before where the barrel looks like a shotgun bore. After deleading, it came back with nice crisp rifling. Excess lead will definitely effect accuracy. It is pretty hard for lead to wear out steel.

I have also wondered about those barrels and have considered sending my Rem 700 in 7 mag to them for a rebarrel. I saw a you tube a while ago that had a guy with a 700 in 338 lapua that was absolutely drilling a 800 yard target. He was getting phenomonal accuracy. He attributed this to the barrel. I'm told, the carbon fiber stiffens the barrel more then a bull barrel of steel thus reducing the vibrations that much more resulting in better accuracy. Of course, if you add the barrel you must restock the gun. The expense just keeps going up! Maybe better to just buy a tactical rifle?

Good point WMD, it would be odd for a .22 to shoot the barreling out on one, shooting soft lead bullets and all.

I really like the way the graphite barrels look on the guns, but I'm not a fan of the synthetic stock, I prefer wood on my guns...but then I suppose that semi-defeats the purpose of getting a light weight barrel.

What happened was he left the bbl out in the San Angelo sun, and then shot a number of rounds through it. The bbl did bad things, and all but came apart, he cleans as religiously as I do (not even a spec of dust on my guns). When he put the rifle back together, it wouldn't hold a group any more, so he went back to the stock bbl. He had around 4-5K rounds through that bbl if memory serves.
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

Great gun, it is a FANCY 10/22. I like mine.

"Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

Default naw

Quote Originally Posted by JustinN View Post
    Just curious what the graphite barrels are like. I don't know anyone that has one of these, and I was kind of wanting a run down.....

Of course Kahr could always send me one and I'd be more than happy to test it out for them and give it a full run down on here....
    I think u still work for a livin, they need to send it to someone like me who is retired even WMD could do it, hell he is retarded,I mean retired.

Just sayin
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Quote Originally Posted by jlottmc View Post
    My brother used one in a 10/22. It was ok, he built the rifle for his now ex-wife, but ended up keeping it. Made the rifle as light as his Beretta, but he shot the barrel out pretty quickly.
    Do you know who the manufacturer was that he used? There's a vast quality difference out there between some of the graphite barrels, I've heard very good things about the one Magnum Research is sourcing from (can't recall the name), while others are known to be pretty problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
    Great gun, it is a FANCY 10/22. I like mine
    How much shooting have you done with it? Any longer term reports on it? FWIW I'm actually looking at buying one soon.