Xssights   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to Kahr CM9 - break in suggestions ?

Default New to Kahr CM9 - break in suggestions ?

I'm female, 50, and just bought my first Kahr - a CM9 - to replace my Beretta Tomcat as conceal carry and BUG to my S&W M&P's. I wanted a 9mm as I'm fed up of the prices for 0.32 rounds , and also the extra stopping power of 9 mm over the 32 is nice .

So now I have to rack the slide (the tomcat has a trick barrel to feed the first round, and a SA/DA trigger, so real easy for this old girl to use) and disassemble/reassemble for cleaning. I had the LGS guy take me through it a few times, and I did manage in the store - otherwise I would not have bought the gun - but wondering if you experienced Kahr guys have any suggestions to get me through the break-in period.

Racking I can do, its more the strip and rebuild. Getting the slide lock lever out is the biggie - I don't have the strength to hold the slide in position while I get the lock pin out.

Any suggestions ?

Duchess

u really need to learn how to disassemble and reassembly the kahr though. Maybe this same fella at the gun shop would give u some extra help to. nothing beats hands on type stuff. These guys here can be of a big help to u but IMO u still have to be able to take the gun down. U need to be able to to the proper lube thing as shown on the kahr tech section under lube chart. The cm9 is a super gun but sometimes very difficult for a woman to hand rack or clear a jam also. U might buy some snap caps so that u can work on those drills also. Use no live rounds. Right now for sure use the kahr manual for loading the un with slide locked open and using the slide lock lever to load that first round. U just realy need possably a range officer or a good gun guy to spend some time with you..
    Last edited by jocko; 03-28-2012 at 03:50 PM.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Jocko is right about the Kahr. I'm a woman and I researched my Kahr PM9 extensively before purchasing it. I knew the break-in would be difficult but the more rounds you shoot the better it will get. I have significant arthritis in my right thumb so in November I had to start shooting left handed. Only problem is, I have nerve damage in my left arm and the hand is weak.
    However, with a lot of work which includes racking and using snap caps to do mag. changes and lots of range time you can make it work. For me the work has been well worth it!! After 400 rounds I am now able to field strip, clean, reassemble the gun and shoot the hell out of it. Keep at it, you will love this great gun.
    Again Joko was right, fortunately for me my husband helped me through the break in process. IMO if you shoot a gun you should become capable of maintaning it, unless there are medical issues that can't be overcome.

Hi, Duchess, and welcome.

I'm not certain how much it would help but wrapping one hand over the top of the with that hand's thumb on the back side of the grip works for me. As you've seen, you have to have the slide in the right spot to get the slide stop lever out.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

PS My PM9 now has 912 rounds through it and it just keeps getting better and better. By the way switching to the left hand has been working out better than I thought.

Default they

Quote Originally Posted by AIRret View Post
    PS My PM9 now has 912 rounds through it and it just keeps getting better and better. By the way switching to the left hand has been working out better than I thought.
    do smooth our alot better as u have found out. glad u adapted tothe PM9. alot of women just canj't do it but in ur case u did the mond over matter thing and made it work for u Onceu learn the techniques with kahrs, it is thena no brainer but some just won't put for the effort like u did, so kudos to you and 900 rounds is alot of shootin.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

The first time I took out the slide lock lever out was a little tough, had to hold the slide and tap it with backend of a screwdriver to get it started. After the first time and lubing it per the lube chart the slide stop pops out easily with a push of my finger and i don't need to hold the slide back for very long. Also you may want to get a squeeze ball or something and try strengthen your grip some.

someone, somewhere on this forum came up with a block or something that if u run the slide back and drop in from thetop it aligns the take down pin correctly and takes alot of effort away from holding the slide back and trying to push the pin out.

surey someone will come forward with this tip in some kind of a photo tutorial. that always helps a new owner to SEE HOW IT IS DONE. There realy is more than one way to skin a frog!!

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Hello Duchess and welcome to Kahr Talk and also to you AIRret.....We welcome and need more female members on this forum...One thing you will find out about Kahr Talk is there are many nice folks here that will be glad to answer any questions you may have and we love newbies...First of all listen to old Jocko because even though it's hard to read his typing sometimes but he is one of the main go to guys here and is a great source of information about Kahr pistols....

DO read the manual as there is much good stuff in there and don't be like us fellows who figure they don't need no stinkin manuals or maps and find themselves lost and in trouble which could have been avoided...DO read the lube and break in sticky in the tech section...Good info there...

Now about the take down issues you have...I have nerve damage in one hand and find it hard to hold the slide open to line up the witness marks on the slide and frame to get the slide stop out and it almost takes 3 1/2 hands but I found an easy cheap tool to hold it open with no hands...

Go have dinner at a Chinese restaurant and grap a hand full of chop sticks...They are tapered and wood and wont hurt the gun...Now pull back the slide and stick the tapered end down between the slide and the chamber/feed ramp and move it up/down until the witness marks are lined up and now the slide stays put and you have both hands to work with to get the slide stop pin out...

Now a new Kahr pistol is made very tight and that slide stop lever is sometimes hard to get out until the pistol breaks in so take a plastic mallet or screw driver handle and tap it on the right side on the little nub to get it started out (you may have to whack it pretty good so dont be afraid it won't hurt anything...Once it is started out it may still be hard to pull out the left side so take one of the chop sticks or a screw driver blade wrapped in tape to prevent scratching the slide and lever the thing out until you can get a good enough grip to pull it out the rest of the way with your fingers...

Clean it up good and lube it per the chart...BOBBO268 made a lube video in the general discussion section that is titled "made a lube video" look at that as it will be helpful locating the striker/firing pin clean out hole on the under side of the slide...I use aerosol cans of electronic cleaner because it won't remove the white line on the rear sight like non clorinated automobile brake cleaner that many on the forum use to clean with and the electronic cleaner is easier on your skin and doesn't stink so bad...Either product can be found at any auto parts store so use which ever one you want...Neither product will harm the polymer frame but like I said before brake cleaner will remove the white line on the rear sight...

The clean out hole is on one side of the under side of the slide near where the firing pin/breach is so take the little red tube of from the cleaner can and stick it in that hole and spray away and you should see liquid coming from both the firing pin hole and the rear of the striker assembly...Do this every time you clean the pistol and DO NOT put any oil/lube on the firing pin as it will gunk up and cause light primer strikes...

The only other thing I can think of to tell you is after you line up the witness marks to put it back together BE SURE when you push the slide stop lever back in to have it pointing exactly to the 3:00 position parallel to the slide and push it stright in until it clicks...Most of us here, myself included have accidently bent the slide stop spring by not having the lever in the right position and you will know if you have because the slide will lock back every time without a magazine in the pistol...If you do happen to bend it it's not the end of the world and can be easily bent back in position...After you take the pistol apart and put it back together a few times you won't have any more problems...

Next thing is to go to Wal Mart and get the cheapest 9mm FMJ rounds they have on sale and as Jocko will tell you "shoot it like you stole it" Like I said earlier Kahr pistols are extremely tight when new and they aren't kidding about the at least 200 round break in period in the owners manual so if it happens to have a hickup or two don't worry about it, the more you shoot it the better it will function...Hopefully you got one like many here have that works 100% right out of the box...

Sorry for the long post but hope it helps and remember if you have any questions just ask and someone here will help you out..Good luck and again welcome to Kahr Talk...Happy shooting!!!
    Last edited by getsome; 03-29-2012 at 08:30 AM. Reason: spelling

A 9/64 allen key works for my PM9.
    I would suggest buying a cheap set, find one that’s a hair small and wrap electrical tape to avoid scratching and bring it to size.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If a sign could stop evil….They’d make holsters for them!!