Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PM9 shoots low -- slide & barrel loose?

Default PM9 shoots low -- slide & barrel loose?

Just jumped into the world of Kahrs. Have a G19 and like so many others, don't want my wardrobe to revolve around my carry and the PM9 was perfect. Got it; shot it; love it. BUT…

It shoots low. Always. I chalked it up to new gun to me [it was lightly used, been to Kahr for ramp polish & tune]. Never had a single hiccup at all with it. LOVE that!. But after shooting low all day (the only gun that performs like that for me) … I examined it with dryfire.

Sure enough, just as sear releases striker, the front sight drops 1/64" or so. I bench rested it (dryfire) and noticed from the side that the ENTIRE SLIDE bumps down on sear release. Barrel, sight, slide, guide, everything. I can see that wee space between frame & slide visibie from the side -- I can see that gap "boing" shut on release of striker. Rack the slide, and I can manually squeeze the front of the slide/barrel/etc down a wee bit to the frame. And if I do this before pulling the trigger… the front sight stays solid since I've taken up that slack. In fact, I can hear & feel a light bump when I squeeze slide firmly down on rails/frame. Sure, that'll solve it for one shot on the range, but hardly seems normal.

But since this is my first Kahr and Kahr is not as common as … others… it's not easy to find a comparison in hand. And my normal gunsmith worships at the shrine of Glock (hey, I have a Glock too, but don't want the lecture that every other Mfg. is inferior).

Any wisdom? Experience? Is this normal? This wee bit of barrel drop on trigger/sear release amounts to real life lowish shots at range.

Otherwise, it's everything I'd want a CCW to be. First, but probably not last Kahr.

Hmmm. I noticed the same thing on my old K9, but the slide twitched right instead. Are you sure the everything is moving? When I asked Kahr about it, they told me that due to the offset barrel lug design, the slide would indeed shift, but the barrel stays put.

All of us have to practice to get good with that lo-o-o-o-ng trigger, and shooting low is typical. Have you tried it from a bench rest?
    Very interesting...

get some snap caps anbd put qa half dozen in with 30 good rounds and let ur friend load themagazine for u. It isw gonna show u big time why ur shooting low. That slide variation realy is not effecting your lows as much as u are. Not a G19 either, two different trigger systems. IMO u should be getting goodat 7 yards and under with this gun and by good I mean fast target acquistion. Ur not gonna see what ur describping in a shtf SCENARo. concentrtate of the front sight clearly and the rest will fall in place. POA shooting with your kahr is IMO the way to go, ur not gonna feel any of the stuff ur describing either. Irt is the looooong trigger that is producing ur lows. all of our kahrs work the way u are describing and they will shoot more accurate thanthe shooter.

Guarantee u the snap cap drill will show real fast. Dryfiring IMO produces no bang thing and flinching/anticiation is caused the the bang thing, not dry firing. U know in dry firing that nothing is gonna happen. If u thinking of hitting beer cans at 25 yards, IMO stick with your G19. If u want a gun that will save ur life and will be on ur person 24/7 your kahr is good to go.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

True: the amount it hits low will likely make zero difference in a defensive situation. Love the gun anyhow and will keep it.

Just never seen this in other makes (H&K, Beretta, Glock, S&W). Since I'm new to Kahr, didn't know if this is common or if I have a really worn frame (that is, way more shots than advertised on gunbroker). But if it's consistent, I can adapt. I'd juist rather have 2" groups at 7yds than 10" groups. I coulda had a git-r-done Kel-Tek or Diamondback DB9, but neither seemed as solid or accurate or fun to shoot.

But regardless, I have room to grow as shooter. Just wanted to see how common this is.

ur Ok, just shoot it like u stole it. u can get 2" groups at 7 yards, but the 4 guns u mentioned have in no way the trigger system a kahr has. takes some rounds down range to get used to it but once u do, the groups will tighten up..

Practice does not make perfect but perfect practice does!!
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

I also want my Kahrs to operate as designed. If the barrel is fitted into the front of the slide and the slide moves how could the barrel “stay put”. Its not a target pistol but they are supposed to be accurate. My slides on my mks don't move down when dry firing. I did the gap of light thing from the side when dry firing. I hope you post more range results to see if it really does shoot low. Every little diagnosis help others with problem guns.

shoot it from a rest like mentioned, or have a few other people shoot it also... Hope it all works out!
    Focus on your front sight..... The rest should be blurry!

Yeah. Definitely need more time with live fire and practice. Regardless of how accurate the gun is, I can always improve. And a DAO trigger IS different. Roger that. Still not jazzed about the sights moving (with barrel and slide and all). Yep, I can learn to sight differently for the Kahr if necessary. Just wondering if other's Kahr's work similarly.

I'll do some more live fire and post results. Hopefully, it's me that needs the work. Perfect excuse to go to the range!

That's a different trigger on these Kahr's. You just have to focus on the pull all the way through. I usually bring it back quick right to the break point which is reliable as all heck, and put a disciplined squeeze on it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR